Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:44 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times

Advertisements

Still think you should verify your lists and not bother those who sent them in. No one has bothered me since I let them know I already provided the info. Perhaps someone did their job and checked the late list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 06:51 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
The house across the street is for sale- we had a census worker come to our house to ask if it was REALLY for sale. We said, yes. They asked if that if it was REALLY for sale- why did it have furniture? We asked him if he'd ever heard of 'staging'. It took about 20 minutes of conversation to convince him that it REALLY was for sale. Sheesh.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
As far as the Census goes - I mean c'mon people, all they want is your name, address and race.
Actually, they want your birthday and your phone number too.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM

153 posts, read 511,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Well for one the Census Bureau and the IRS are two different federal agencies with different missions. If Texas AAA home insurance and Texas AAA auto insurance can't combine payments from the same customer (happened to me) why would you expect a federal bureaucracy to do something similar? There is also the issue of late filing with the IRS extension that would screw up the timing of that idea.
Yours point is well taken, but if we can make federal agencies cooperate for homeland security, why can't we do it to save, let's say, $5-$10 billion on the Census? Apparently, the idea to cross-reference Census and IRS data is not entirely new. I don't see a problem with extension filers -- give people the option to also answer the Census questions at the time they file for the extension.

A timing problem I see would be that the enumeration should take place April 1, but taxes are not due until April 15. In my system, I would first process the Census responses received with IRS returns and extensions, and then forward the collected Census information to the Census Bureau. The Census Bureau should then cross-check this information against their list of addresses and only send questionnaires to the addresses from which no response was received on a federal return. This can probably be done in early May time frame, which could be too far off from April 1.

Don't like the IRS? Here's another civic duty many/most people participate in every 10 years, voting. Give people an option to fill out the Census questions when they go to vote in the general election (I realize, even further away from April 1). Or, even simpler, let them submit it online. Perhaps similar to e-filing your taxes.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 AM

163 posts, read 318,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I mailed in my form so I refused to give any information. She tried to press, but she was no match for me. I think she didn't know what to say. She asked if she could have my number, I told her NO! I'm sure there will be many more that will stop by.

Any other experiences?
oh my god, stop whining.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk
I mailed in my form so I refused to give any information. She tried to press, but she was no match for me. I think she didn't know what to say. She asked if she could have my number, I told her NO! I'm sure there will be many more that will stop by.

Any other experiences?
Quote:
Still think you should verify your lists and not bother those who sent them in. No one has bothered me since I let them know I already provided the info. Perhaps someone did their job and checked the late list.
How ironic, you are complaining about them bothering you, but behaving in a way you know will result in them bothering you more.

"Resistance is Futile!"

Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 PM

380 posts, read 642,608 times
Quote:

Any other experiences?
Not yet. If they come they're getting a face full of door.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:11 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
Wow, thank god I was able to get a job when I did before having to try and apply to be a census taker and dealing with all the crap that is being mentioned here. I feel really bad for all those people going door to door, trying to pay their bills and feed their families and dealing with immature boors...

Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM

544 posts, read 1,667,352 times
i hear an attorney up in georgetown got a visit and was not pleased

Old 05-15-2010, 08:54 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
And you're proud of that behavior? I'd be ashamed of myself. I hope I never have any children or grandchildren who think like you.

Quote:
Wasn't rude and mean. Told her to come back if they didn't locate the form. You don't have all of the information. They didn't have a record of my form so obviously it wasn't because I didn't fill something in.

There are many instances of census takers being rude and threatening so I wouldn't be quick to defend them. I'm sure most are just doing there jobs, but there are some who take it too far.

This is an example of wasted tax payer money. Sending someone out to get info that they already should have.
An example of wasted tax payer money is when someone like you refuses to give information. You'll keep census workers employed a bit longer by acting like an ass, but you sure as heck won't save any tax payer money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
... With the census, you are signing a legal document, leave out some information, don't mention that your bum cousin Chuck is living with you, and you are breaking the law. I realize that it's important to get the information as accurate as possible, and placing some legal oomph behind it is one of the few relatively inexpensive ways to do it. However, for me at least, it doesn't pass the tin foil hat test.
There is no place on the form for your signature when the census worker comes calling, so that excuse won't fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin