Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM

8 posts, read 18,115 times

Advertisements

People have compared Austin to Sacramento. But, I wonder how it compares to Pasadena? Pasadena, is an old, established town with a really poor school district, beautiful houses and great weather.

Can anyone say how they are the same? Different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,750,819 times
Pasadena is defined by the LA Metro area, with all the good and bad that comes with it. Definitely in another league, can't really be compared to Austin. Sacramento is smaller and not connected to a huge MSA, so it is more similar.

Weather is of course far superior in Pasadena/LA. Pretty much to anywhere in the USA, for that matter. Scenery in Pasadena is much nicer, but Austin is not bad for Texas. Cost of living is obviously much cheaper in Austin, rents especially... but some would say that is a reflection of the desirability of Pasadena vs. Austin. So mostly you will get what you pay for.

I'm not sure what else there is to compare. As I said before, nothing like the LA Metro exists in Texas.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,505,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Weather is of course far superior in Pasadena/LA
Yeah, except for all the smog.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM

246 posts, read 853,968 times
Football games at the Rose Bowl are great for tailgating because you park on a golf course. Perfect weather, grass. And, you know, the Rose Bowl. If only they had a UT-level football team to play there.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM

385 posts, read 1,242,383 times
I love my Austin but if someone bought me a house in Pasadena I would die of happiness. I used to live there and miss it greatly. The foothills, the history, the diversity. Austin does have a few pockets that are similar. This is a very easy place to transition to. People are incredibly friendly and on our measly one income we have bought our first home There is beauty here and culture but no where near what Pasadena has, IMHO....

Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 PM

536 posts, read 1,725,799 times
I grew up and went to school in the shadow of the Rose Bowl. Played the Brookside golf course after school let out. Had to leave the area because of the incredible smog which got trapped at the base of the San Gabriel mountains. When I lived there, California had excellent public schools and even better public highways. Now, they are amongst the nation's very worst. California is a great place to be from. "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could"

Old 05-12-2010, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 18,115 times
Ha, ha, ha, ha!! Sanmiguel, you date yourself!! I'm guessing you moved to Austin in the 1970's? While the smog has gotten better/less and on a clear day you can see Catalina Island, and most days you can see downtown from the top of Fair Oaks Ave- the school system in Pasadena and Los Angeles is just awful. One thing I really look forward to in Austin is the way they fund their public schools, by property tax. Once Prop 13 passed here in Ca, schools really took a beating. Again, that was back in the 70's. But, I think I'm gonna steal your quote.

Justanothercalifornian: "if someone bought me a house in Pasadena I would die of happiness." Yeah, who wouldn't? Hey, as long as we are dreaming, I wanna house right by the Rosebowl too

But, back to reality! Austin looks wonderful, and seems like a great place to raise a family. I so look forward to being able to purchase a home. You all nailed it! Pasadena has history, foothills, and nice lawns. But, it is also prohibitively expensive. The people here are nice, but I look forward to how friendly I hear Austin is.

It is really nice to get the comparisons. I am imagining that if you are able to describe pasadena so well, you must be doing an equally accurate just of describing Austin.

What about the allergies I hear so much about? I lived in the OC for about an hour (ok 6 months) and it was awful! Here along the foothills, it isn't so bad.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 PM

172 posts, read 513,519 times
It's as bad or worse then everyone says (allergies). I lived for many years in LA without a problem. Austin air is constantly filled with pollen/mold/dust. If you have bad allergies prepare to suffer.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM

246 posts, read 853,968 times
When I moved to LA I almost forgot I had allergies. When I moved here I was reminded. It was bad enough that I got on the allergy shots, and now I'm very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: