Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:17 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
The whole point is to separate the classes. For some people, it's worth $29 not to sit next to someone they consider "undesirable". I don't approve of it personally, but it's their right. Those coming out of the hills west of the Domain don't want to rub elbows with the flatlanders. The contrast between rich and poor is most prevalent in north Austin, making it the perfect location.

Ahh. The plight of the proletariat.

If this was true, wouldn't it be equatable to ALL higher end establishments. Including regular movie theaters? Because last I checked, there is a step down from Tinsletown, it's called the dollar theater. So when you go to a regular theater rather than the dollar theater, or you also participating in class warfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 02:24 PM

322 posts, read 846,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Ahh. The plight of the proletariat.

If this was true, wouldn't it be equatable to ALL higher end establishments. Including regular movie theaters? Because last I checked, there is a step down from Tinsletown, it's called the dollar theater. So when you go to a regular theater rather than the dollar theater, or you also participating in class warfare?

Too funny! The dollar theatre is near my house. I go there sometimes and get a little freaked out by the rattiness of the seats and the pickle smell. Not enough to go to the $29 theatre, but still.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
The whole point is to separate the classes. For some people, it's worth $29 not to sit next to someone they consider "undesirable". I don't approve of it personally, but it's their right. Those coming out of the hills west of the Domain don't want to rub elbows with the flatlanders. The contrast between rich and poor is most prevalent in north Austin, making it the perfect location.
eepstein should like this a lot. He'll get to sit with other "high end" people and not have to get too close to hicks and rednecks.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Well I was assuming that you could have some homeless folks on their hands and knees in front of you to act as ottomans if you desired. Plus I heard that they have orphans wipe the fake butter residue off of your fingers and the corners of your mouth. Sometimes a warmed minty towel is not enough.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,002 times
I have no desire to visit this theater. It would be cheaper to buy an evening ticket at the Alamo Drafthouse and then buy the movie when it comes out on DVD.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
I wouldn't go but it looks like a better idea than a $10k home theater.

Alamo all the way.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:54 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,708 times
Anybody who goes to any movie theater and buys tickes for a movie and a soda and popcorn, is "wasting money." Just stay home and watch your cable. Better yet, cancel your cable and wait for it to come out on the broadcast networks and use your rabbit ears to pick it up. Or wait, better yet, don't buy a TV, just stand outside your rich neighbor's window and look in and watch it that way. This works especially well if you can read lips.

In the meantime, I will refrain from feeling snobby and instead be thrilled when my husband says to me, "Darlin, why don't we do something special tonight. Lets dress up a bit and I will take you out to cocktails, dinner and a blockbuster movie we've been waiting to see." Trust me, my husband stands a much better chance at getting lucky afterwards, than he would if he took me to the matinee.

Oh and another thing, compacting dinner, cocktails and a movie into 3 hours instead of 5 if you do things separately, will save you babysitting fees. (I don't have children but if I did....)

Old 05-14-2010, 04:32 PM

322 posts, read 846,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Anybody who goes to any movie theater and buys tickes for a movie and a soda and popcorn, is "wasting money." Just stay home and watch your cable. Better yet, cancel your cable and wait for it to come out on the broadcast networks and use your rabbit ears to pick it up. Or wait, better yet, don't buy a TV, just stand outside your rich neighbor's window and look in and watch it that way. This works especially well if you can read lips.

In the meantime, I will refrain from feeling snobby and instead be thrilled when my husband says to me, "Darlin, why don't we do something special tonight. Lets dress up a bit and I will take you out to cocktails, dinner and a blockbuster movie we've been waiting to see." Trust me, my husband stands a much better chance at getting lucky afterwards, than he would if he took me to the matinee.

Oh and another thing, compacting dinner, cocktails and a movie into 3 hours instead of 5 if you do things separately, will save you babysitting fees. (I don't have children but if I did....)

If you had children, you would understand that it is a huge waste of money to go to something like this. And I was referring to the cost of the movie ($29) plus the food at the theatre ($30-40) and a drink there (about $12 per round). Plus babysitter ($40). When instead we could go to the Alamo and spend about half that AND afford to have another date sometime soon. I don't think that it's snobby to feel this way, just practical.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:00 PM

246 posts, read 857,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
If you had children, you would understand that it is a huge waste of money to go to something like this.
I don't understand why one needs to have children to get your point.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:04 PM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
I don't understand why one needs to have children to get your point.
It's because having children helps you understand folks who post on forums like this better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin