Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM

24 posts, read 88,327 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are looking to buy a home in Avery ranch or Ranch at Brushy creek. Between these communities, which is better? Also we need reviews on the builders. We cannot find reviews on Sitterle homes. Can someone shed light about their experience with these builders?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times

"Dr. Horton an Meritage Homes iss CLRAAP!!"

Old 05-15-2010, 08:55 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
We have lived in a DR Horton home for the past 3 years and have had no problems with it...the construction of the home itself that is. It seems the problem with the DR Horton homes in our neighborhood are the Carrier a/c units that are installed.

Several homes just on my street have had a/c issues, everything else has been up to par...for us anyway.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
They are all crappy houses built by illegal Mexican labor. Why are you even looking at them?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
We have lived in a DR Horton home for the past 3 years and have had no problems with it..

Everaboda loves their oon BRAAAND!!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 AM

316 posts, read 877,020 times
Jobert, Wondering if you have any favorite builders.

DR Horton has built both tract homes and high-end homes in Austin. There seems quite a difference in quality between the two categories.

i was at a David Weekley seminar a couple of weeks ago. They are the highest rated builder, with excellent customer service. But even they seem to use sub-contractors for everything (from an approved list, they pointed out).

Builders nowadays just sell houses. This was my building inspector's opinion recently.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
Jobert, Wondering if you have any favorite builders.

I would recommend Mercedes, Standard Pacific or David Weekly for middle tier builders. I would avoid DR Horton, Centex, Pulte and NewMark - just personal preference, and I know that this will rile feathers of sorts.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:57 PM

13 posts, read 66,175 times
You might also want to consider local builder, Streetman homes. I am having them build me a house now, granted it is still few weeks from completion, but I am impressed with what I have seen thus far.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:53 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdec01 View Post
Hi all,

We are looking to buy a home in Avery ranch or Ranch at Brushy creek. Between these communities, which is better? Also we need reviews on the builders. We cannot find reviews on Sitterle homes. Can someone shed light about their experience with these builders?

Thanks in advance...
The differentiating factors between production builders are not substantive enough to rely on as a decision point. I can't even think of a situation where I would allow the brand name of a builder to break a tie between two otherwise equal homes. There is always a deciding factor more reliable and important than the brand name of the builder, especially given the fact that they use substantially the same pool of subcontractors.

Find a house (or floorplan) you like on a lot you like and make sure you hire a good home inspector to complete phase inspections during the build. You're buying a house, not selecting a builder.

If you're not experienced in the process required to obtain the very best pricing and upgrade packaging from a builder, find someone who knows the ins and outs of that to help you, otherwise you'll be paying too much no matter which builder you buy from.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 05-16-2010, 02:53 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
They are all crappy houses built by illegal Mexican labor. Why are you even looking at them?
Come on, no need for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin