Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 03:32 PM

13 posts, read 25,997 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for all of the replies. Out of the three boards that I've posted the question to, you Austinites (if that's the right word) are definitely the most friendly and helpful!

Where would be the best area in Austin to stay when I visit to get a good feel for the city? Being a single female, what are the places I should avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 04:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I've lived in Austin and vicinity quite happily for 40 years, and I'm not bilingual, nor are most of the people I know (some of them are, but some of them are bilingual - or trilingual - in languages other than Spanish!). So it's not essential at all except for some jobs that might require it, but it would be specific to the job and the company in question.

If you really want to get a feel for Austin as Austin, with what you're looking for in a city, I'd advise staying south of 183, north of Ben White, west of 360, and west or just east of I35. There are pockets outside of that that have that "Austin vibe", but they're not as obvious unless you've lived here a while and that will give you at least a feel for what you're likely to find here. Right downtown probably isn't what you're going to want, though, if you want "Austin" and not just "urban" - it's changed a lot in recent years and doesn't have anywhere near the Austin feel that it used to, being more busy and crowded and more like a replica of other places than itself. At least, that's my reading of it.

I'd advise south of the river (Barton Hills, Zilker, Bouldin, SoCo) or Allandale/Crestview/Brentwood areas.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker23 View Post
Thanks again for all of the replies. Out of the three boards that I've posted the question to, you Austinites (if that's the right word) are definitely the most friendly and helpful!

Where would be the best area in Austin to stay when I visit to get a good feel for the city? Being a single female, what are the places I should avoid?
Austinites is correct!

Places to hang out to get a feel for the city might include: the cool shops and fooderies on south Congress (aka So Co), Huts Hamburgers, Barton Springs, The Oasis, Threadgills, Zilker Park, Flipnotics, The Continental Club, any of the great festivals going on around here at any time during the year...the list goes on and on. Others will probably post more great ideas.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:44 PM

170 posts, read 446,644 times
As for your question on being bilingual, it's certainly not a requirement. However, many people who are in the service or construction industry speak mostly Spanish. There are many times that I would have liked to be able to converse with a Spanish speaker who was working in my house (just to be friendly, to ask if the temperature was ok/would they like a glass of water/I'm just taking the dog for a quick walk and I'll be right back, or to ask a question about the work that they were dong) and I've been unable to do so. If you are bilingual, it may make these types of things easier or may make certain jobs more available to you because there are many people in Austin for whom English is not their first language & some employers may want to hire someone who is bilingual.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 PM

13 posts, read 25,997 times
You bring up a very good point, Veggiegirl26. I think I'll brush up on my Spanish un poquito (a little)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin