Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 AM

172 posts, read 410,165 times

Advertisements

Last year was my first summer in TX (from NY) and I was never so hot that I couldn't find a body of water I couldn't cool off in. And I transferred offices within the same company, and find the dress code here to be generally more relaxed (accounting industry).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
It's so hot that....
...when I opened the paper and read the weather report, I got heat stroke.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:53 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector28 View Post
......and some will wear just a thong and high heels.
Reminds me that, back in Atlanta, our rather conservative(read: older residents) condo complex 'outlawed' thongs in the pool area. Some of the folks couldn't understand why they weren't allowed to wear flip-flops!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
We do all sorts of I.T. including software development.
In Oregon we wore shorts and flip flops, and that fit in.
I was told that when I moved to Austin, the dress code was more "Business Casual".
However, I have seen a few people wearing shorts, and a few wearing well worn jeans and very comfortable looking shirts.
Some wear the nice dress shirt and tie, many wear decent looking slacks and a decent looking shirt.

Personally, I opted for a skirt and light weight polo shirt as it gets too hot for long pants.

For some people, they spend no more time outside then it takes to get from their air conditioned vehicle to the entrance (or door of their home).

I walk to work.

So far, the walk home is tolerable; and the walk to work is still enjoyable.
I think it is the wind chill that makes the walk home still tolerable.

When it gets hotter, I might opt for packing my hat with ice, before I start the walk home. I am still trying to figure something out.
The vast majority of tech companies in Austin are casual to very casual in dress. Some of it is just sloppy. Go to Frys during lunch on a weekday and you'll see what Austin nerds look like. I do not see business casual as "normal" for IT oriented companies except by middle management and above.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:36 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
I think it depends on the company. My husband works for a technically oriented company in NW Austin and they are not allowed to wear jeans except on Fridays. However, they are owned by a huge company that is not based in Austin or the West Coast. Additionally, they have a customer training site at the facility which might also affect the more stringent dress code of business casual (no jeans).

Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,616 times
Austin can get really hot in the summer and I used to think I had it bad till I went to Phoenix in the summer. The heat in Phoenix melted the plastic parts in the car's windows. I haven't had that happen in Austin (YET!).

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
For the two who mentioned Atlanta in this thread, or anyone else who has some on-hands insight, I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to compare the heat/humidity in Atlanta to Austin. I lived in Atlanta years ago and now have an opportunity to work in Austin very soon. I could tolerate Atlanta-ish humidity again... Las Vegas heat (where I stayed for a few months), no thanks.

Coming from London, then New England, I initially found Atlanta brutally hot. It took a good few months (3 if I remember correctly, 1 for the heat headache to disappear) to not feel completely oppressed by the humidity. Wanting to be there, however, made a huge difference of just quieting the mind from thinking how bloody hot it was each hour of the day.

Funnily enough, when I moved to Seattle one February after 4 years in Atlanta, I found it cold... even though it's nothing like a VT winter at all. After time, I'd adjusted to the heat and owned nothing heavier than linen, or darker than white.

So, does Atlanta's weather feel similarly hot and humid as Austin? Thanks very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: