Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 11,519 times

Advertisements

I just moved from AZ to Tx. Getting ready to move into a place and trying to find out which schools would be better for my boys. Both in Jr high next year and one will be in high school the following. I know I've heard Round Rock has great schools but I haven't heard anything about Leander and Cedar Park. If any one has suggestions and reasons why it would help me make a better descion for my children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Leander and Cedar Park are the same school district, both Leander ISD. It's a huge district going as far south as Steiner Ranch with Austin schools in between for some reason.

You can't really judge by district, but you need to judge by school. Call the districts and get questions answered about the programs you're interested in. That will tell you more than SAT and TAKS scores.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERNEST View Post
I just moved from AZ to Tx.

Are you already here? Where are you staying? (& where are the kids attending school?)

Getting ready to move into a place and trying to find out which schools would be better for my boys.

Are you saying you've already selected "a place"? What schools (not district) does this "place" flow into?

Both in Jr high next year and one will be in high school the following. I know I've heard Round Rock has great schools

Where have you "heard" this?

I would not say that all RR schools are "great". Some are OK, some are good, & some are very good. But are you asking about RR?...or RRISD?

Even though few RR schools could be classified as "great"......virtually all of the RRISD schools located in Austin (not in the city of RR) would be classified (imo) as "great". (Clear as mud? )

but I haven't heard anything about Leander and Cedar Park. If any one has suggestions and reasons why it would help me make a better descion for my children.

As mentioned above most of schools in CP & Leander are in LISD. Some LISD schools are OK, some are good, & some (the LISD schools that are located in Austin...not CP or Leander) are (imo) "great". Falconhead gave good advice. Look at the schools....not the district & not the town.
Let us know the schools you are looking at & you'll get plenty of comments.

Last edited by hound 109; 05-19-2010 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Agreed, both Round Rock and Leander ISDs are good districts with schools that vary, just like any district. And you not only need to judge by school, you need to judge whether a particular school that may have awesome ratings is right for your specific child, because a school that is perfect for one child can be a disaster for another (we had that even in the same family, two very different kids, the school that was perfect for our son would have been a disaster for our daughter and vice versa).

You can also check out Great Schools to get some parental feedback on individual schools, while still keeping in mind the above.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
Have to say that LISD does have some "great" schools in both CP/Leander as well as in Austin.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:53 PM

347 posts, read 1,566,869 times
I've heard that Leander HS is a rougher school. But it also has the only IB High School program in the district.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 11,519 times
Thanks for all the information. We have moved out here recently and living with family. My children haven't attended school here yet. I have heard from people in the community (while shopping) say that Round Rock schools are the best. Coming from Arizona I know that the education out here is better. I'm looking to move more into the Cedar Park area.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:36 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,854 times
Be sure to carefully read THL's post above. Saying RRISD schools "are the best" is meaningless. There are _some_ RRISD_ schools that rank very highly. But then again there are some that don't rank nearly as high, and these can even be "adjacent", for example using the "Children At Risk" rankings for Middle Schools, Canyon Vista ranks #2 but the adjacent Grisham ranked 23rd with two other Leander ISD schools in between. So simply moving to an area because it happens to be in RRISD alone is not necessarily going to net you the highly regards schools that you may be after. Like THL says, identify the specific school(s) that you are interested in and focus on moving into their areas. So if the assumption is that Canyon Vista/Westwood are the schools for you due to their high rankings, moving to Cedar Park would not yield the results you want (unless you don't mind playing the intra-district transfer game).

Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,835 times
i wouldn't put my kid's in any of the rr and leander publice schools -for hs or middle school. Public schholls in austin are teribble also.My daughter had no prior prebaring for hs in cp and they didn't work with me or her 1 bit.they didn't care if she passed or went to class-i'm single and our taxes pay for this and thse kid's will not be prepared for a 4 year college-they will be lucky to go to acc because they won't be able to make the sat scores they need and their parent's don't have the funds. alll the private schools are in downtown austin or south-i'm looking for a magnet school aslso-i'm concerned about the crime at lbj

Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,835 times
leander school district is bad-hs and middle school-administration doesn't help out in academic's and don't care. doesn't prepaare for college and most will go to junior college-most parent's can't afford a 4 year college. are the magnet schools good by lbj or dangerous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin