Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 PM

12 posts, read 27,718 times

Advertisements

I've been planning my relocation to Austin for a looong time and now that my move date is nearing I'm getting cold feet...crazy nerves... Why does Austin have the reputation it has? Why is it a wonderful place to live? Why should anyone live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
Where are you moving from? What do you want in a home?

I like it b/c I found the perfect job for me, my extended family lives here and it is not TOO big of a city.....YET.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 PM

12 posts, read 27,718 times
Well, i'm not looking for a permanent home right now. I plan to attend the community college. I'm just looking for an apartment. A cheaper one at that. This will be my first time living on my own, and in a city, and my family wont be close. I guess i'm just looking for some reassurance...
I've heard amazing amazing things about Austin.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:43 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,154 times
You've heard amazing things about Austin?? From whom?? Oh wait, maybe its the city chamber talking to the media again. Yes I do have some amazing things to tell you about Austin. Ready??

It is truly amazing that Austin is:

1.) The largest city in the country with only one major interstate freeway

2.) A city with no forms of entertainment besides the 6th street district

3.) A city with no amusement parks, no zoo, no aquarium, no professional sports teams.

4.) among the most congested cities in the country.

5.) plagued by a completely disfunctional city council who doesn't give a damn about anyone but the rich

6.) a city in general who turns a blind eye to growth and does nothing to make it more efficient

7.) a city with more huge gas guzzling vehicles than any other city in the nation.

8.) a city that claims to be green, but has some of the most anti-environmental practices (mainly of their residents) in the nation.

9.) a city whose population is always putting down superior cities (Dallas and Houston)

10.) a city that will never amount to anything other than "4th largest in the state"

I totally agree that Austin IS amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee827 View Post
Well, i'm not looking for a permanent home right now. I plan to attend the community college. I'm just looking for an apartment. A cheaper one at that. This will be my first time living on my own, and in a city, and my family wont be close. I guess i'm just looking for some reassurance...
I've heard amazing amazing things about Austin.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
I love this town, and am glad I moved here. This topic has been discussed in-depth on other threads, and I would suggest running a search for topics like "what makes austin great", etc.

I hope you make the right move for you, and if it's Austin, then "Welcome"

Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Are you moving from out of state or are you at TX resident? I am not sure if the rule is the same but when we first moved here 11 years ago, I learned that in order to attend classes at any higher educational institution (even community colleges) you needed to be here at least a year or you would ALWAYS be considered an out of state resident for the purposes of tuition. So if you planned to move onto a four year institution here in TX and you are from out of state, you would need to pay out of state tuition until you completed your education. This is something to consider if you are coming from out of state.

But to answer your initial question: I like living here because it has lots of sunshine and a reasonable cost of living. I also like that the ambient culture is friendly and outgoing. I wouldn't take eepstein's post too seriously, as you can see from the list, a person who cannot find any entertainment here with the exception of sixth street isn't trying at all or has a very narrow view of what is "entertainment."

Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
You've heard amazing things about Austin?? From whom?? Oh wait, maybe its the city chamber talking to the media again. Yes I do have some amazing things to tell you about Austin. Ready??

3.) A city with no amusement parks, no zoo, no aquarium, no professional sports teams.

5.) plagued by a completely disfunctional city council who doesn't give a damn about anyone but the rich

6.) a city in general who turns a blind eye to growth and does nothing to make it more efficient

7.) a city with more huge gas guzzling vehicles than any other city in the nation.

8.) a city that claims to be green, but has some of the most anti-environmental practices (mainly of their residents) in the nation.

9.) a city whose population is always putting down superior cities (Dallas and Houston)

10.) a city that will never amount to anything other than "4th largest in the state"

FYI, eepstein and artsguy are this board's trolls. They always have exaggerated negative things to say about Austin. I'm not sure why they waste their time and everyone's time with their unsubstantiated claims, but I would take their comments with a grain of salt.

I've lived in Austin for 2/3 of my life. I like the fact that Austin has a good balance between the slow-paced life of a small town and the fast-paced life of a large city. I've lived in larger cities (Boston, San Francisco) and small towns in my life, and to me, Austin has the best balance of affordability and personality.

Sure, Austin has it's share of flaws (my biggest complaint is the lack of world-class art institutions and the really bad traffic), but I can live with them.

To the original poster: I highly recommend that you spend some time in Austin before moving here to make sure that you like it here. Where are you living now, and what prompted you to pick Austin?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 AM

61 posts, read 173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post

So why on Earth did you move here?
It is funny to me that you say folks in Austin are always putting down Dallas and Houston. That is just not true. They are all very different places. They are what there are and Austin is what it is. I lived in Dallas for five years. But it is just not where I would what to spend the rest of my life. That does not mean anything is wrong with it. It was just not for me. I guess if you spend your life look at your glass as half full then you will never find the place that is right for you. So let me ask you this? Why are you not in the place where you would love to be? Hmmmm!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:32 AM

61 posts, read 173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee827 View Post
I've been planning my relocation to Austin for a looong time and now that my move date is nearing I'm getting cold feet...crazy nerves... Why does Austin have the reputation it has? Why is it a wonderful place to live? Why should anyone live there?
I think you should come here for a week or two and see if you think you might like it first. I myself do love it here and plan to stay in or around Austin the rest of my life. Why because it has what I am looking for in a city. What some folks say are the things that they might not like about it,in most cases are some of the things I do like about it. It is best to see for yourself and then decide. Here is a link to my youtube channel where I have hundreds of videos shot in around Austin that might help give you a little feel of it and things to around it. Good Luck with what ever you choose to do!
YouTube - TexasHighDef's Channel

Old 05-20-2010, 09:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I read your question last night, OP, and realized that it is one that is hard to answer for someone who's been here for a few decades. Austin has some great things going for it (artsy guy and eepstein notwithstanding), but what I love about it is more of an overall feel. Yes, there's a lot of things to do - so many things that sometimes it's hard to choose which one to do any given day. Yes, we have some very nice museums, and we have probably the best access to the ones in other cities, being nicely located to reach the ones in San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston within just a couple/three hour's drive, at most. Lots of good restaurants (I'm an organizer and member of a Foodies group that in addition to having potlucks, dines out regularly and we've found a lot of good ones in varying price ranges from really cheap to pretty darned expensive). The people are really friendly, for the most part, enough so that it's remarked upon by most (not all) people who come here as being unusual in their experience. You will want to check on the tuition at ACC as far as residence is concerned - it may be that you have to be in residence for a year in order to get in-state rates, and I know from my daughter's experience that zip codes are important for ACC.

That being said, welcome to Austin! Ignore the naysayers, come here, and see if you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin