Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 04:17 AM

30 posts, read 161,351 times

Advertisements

The previous renters allowed most of the front lawn to die and apparently the HOA isn't happy about it. They also let fire ants take over the yard. I have put fire ant killer on the mounds. I won't even get into the condition the previous renters left the house in, but I can tell you they are not my favorite people by a long shot.

Anyway, I'm at a loss to know how to handle the lawn situation (and the property management company has been much less than helpful, so I'm assuming this project will fall on me and I'll just bill them and MAYBE be compensated).

Do I buy seed and grow more lawn? I'd like to buy something native to the area because growing a lawn that's not even supposed to be here seems completely insane to me. What kind of grass does the best in this area AND is the easiest to grow from seed?

I know I could be like the last renters and just leave it, but our yard is by far the worst on the block and I'd prefer things look nice.
I'm also not keen on hiring a lawn care company but I will do it if anyone knows of a good one.

Thanks!

Oh and the grass that remains appears to be crabgrass? I'm from MN and this thick bladed grass isn't what I'm used to. We had thin bladed grass that is super soft and nice to walk in. I just want to make sure whatever I attempt to grow will actually do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
You can get Bermuda seed at Home Depot. Fast grower and once rooted doesn't need so much water.
With these nice every other day rains you may not even need to water.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
If you do seed, put the seed in a 5 gallon bucket and cover with water for 24 hours. This will significantly increase the chances of the seed germinating once you spread it.

A week before you seed, spray all remaining grass & weeds with regular RoundUp. 3-4 days later, once everything has started to brown, cut the lawn on the lowest mower setting and spray again. This will prevent the new grass from having to competing with any remaining lawn or weeds. Round Up dissipates in just 2-3 days so at that point it's no longer toxic and won't injure new grass.

Wait 3 days and then plant your seed. Rent an overseeder for about $40 for 4 hours. It will assure that the seed will be planted at the proper depth. You will not achieve this by hand spreading without a significant amount of labor. If you want to do it absolutely correctly, first rent a tiller and till down 3-4", rake the dirt level and then seed.

Water daily for at least 3 weeks and then every other day. You'll have turf in 30-60 days depending on the time of year and weather.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
I'd talk to the HOA association and tell them you're having a hard time getting the property management company to do anything about the lawn. I'd get them on your side and get them to lean on the property managers until they do something about it. As soon as the property managers get threatened with fines/lawsuit, etc they'll do something about it post haste believe me.
Its not really your responsibility and you shouldnt have to waste time and money on it.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
You never said whether you own the property, or if you are a renter. If you are a renter, then it's between the owner, property manager, and HOA.

Screw all three of them, you should tell them to pick up your dog's crap while they're at it because you're paying their bills for them, and they need to earn your rent.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the input!

orbius- That's great advice. I'll ask the neighbors for the HOA info (since the property management didn't provide it) and contact them.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:00 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAsABirdNow View Post
Oh and the grass that remains appears to be crabgrass? I'm from MN and this thick bladed grass isn't what I'm used to. We had thin bladed grass that is super soft and nice to walk in. I just want to make sure whatever I attempt to grow will actually do well.
If you've got a fare amount of that "crabgrass" you will probably be okay. In Texas, and I think the rest of the southeast, they call that "crabgrass" St. Augustine grass. Personally I think it is hideous but I think you will find that with a little water and fertilizer, this scourge will fill in the bald patches of your lawn.

I have a neighbor a few doors down that has a year round fine bladed lawn so I know that such a lawn is possible here but I don't know what that grass is.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times
IF you are a renter, make sure you indicate the condition of the lawn on the initial form you fill out (I think all rentals provide this, I know I filled one out when I moved into my apartment).
The alleviates your responsibility for pre-existing conditions.

This does not mean that you do not want to attempt to plant something that will grow well and look nice (depending on your contract).
But the pre-existing condition is not your responsibility unless you agreed to take that responsibility on.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:26 PM

Yep. I'm a renter here. We still own in MN and cannot buy for a few years.
I will be sure to note the condition of the lawn when I send in my overview to the property management (along with the fire ants and the untrimmed trees and bushes and the downspouts full of dead leaves ugh).
Again, I do appreciate all the input. The grass appears to be St.Augustine (which makes great grass whistles I might add). It looks like there are roots or shoots all over the bare patches. I'll start by actually watering the lawn and see what happens. I can always pick up grass seed and give that a whirl.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:51 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Yes, you do want to document the condition received. Just take some photos and save them in case.

Most St. Augustine is fairly hearty and will perk up with watering and some attention. Keep an eye out for grubs, which cause brown patches that look like dead spots, even though you know you're watering regularly.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin