Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:36 PM

59 posts, read 181,160 times

Advertisements

May be relocating from Des Moines Iowa to Austin for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 12:37 AM

611 posts, read 2,234,091 times
really the answer is pretty much yes

the true answer is if you have just a "job" then Austin can still be a pretty great place to live, but you have to work at it and plan it out a lot more than most people that advocate for Austin would ever admit

while no place in Texas is "expensive" to live Austin can be more expensive than any place in Texas......rents will be higher because of students and because or young people making good cash in the remaining tech industry

buying cost more because of location, restrictions, students, tech jobs, college employees, government, and other well paid sectors in Austin

it can be expensive to go out especially for popular venues.....only so much space in the club....supply and demand....price goes up

many of the cool free things are going to be crowded at the times when people with a "job" will not be working....because all those in Austin with a "job" are trying to do something cheap or free on their day off....people with better jobs and more freedom of time can arrange to hit those cool places on the off days....when they are cool because they are free

there is a lot of traffic in Austin....a lot of traffic in a lot of places in Texas....but Austin has spots that are horrible and will become unimaginably bad when they are "fixed".......if ever

many people will chime in and say "live here live there"

my advice is find some place new, safe, and relatively cheap and rent for 9 months and find where you want to live in Austin.....naked bongos and bong hits is freaking SWEET at 2am unless you live next door to it and really need to be at work tomorrow....even though you would love to be bonging out and playing the bongos naked

this will also help you keep from making a purchase based on the fan boy cheers of the week.....there are plenty of places in Austin that have value and will hold value and would be sweet to live that will cost the same or less than any of the new failed trendy areas

Austin is sweet, but it is almost hyper competitive in some aspects even though the facade tossed up is the exact opposite.....to get out there and do all the things that so many in Austin claim they are doing all the time takes: cash, or living 12 to a house, or having a lot of flex time (and some cash), or scoping things out....picking and choosing a few things and "living" them as it seems so many in Austin do

really just like any place unless you have freedom of time or freedom of money....maybe even a bit more "competitive".....really sweet if you have freedom of time and money.....in fact probably better than most would make it out to be

Old 05-21-2010, 07:27 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,394 times
Short answer: Yes!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:38 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,456 times
Being a 31 year old male (married w/kids), I would say it's okay for me. If you're a single man, then the availabilty of single women may not be in your favor. The ratio of men to women here runs high on the men side (maybe 53% men in Austin?). You may say "that's okay, the remaining 3% are probably gay", but there aren't a lot of gay people in Austin either..It's the opposite of say, Manhattan - where it's heavily weighted with women . My angle in the matter.

Lot's of activities for the more rugged outdoor types here though.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:33 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Being a 31 year old male (married w/kids), I would say it's okay for me. If you're a single man, then the availabilty of single women may not be in your favor. The ratio of men to women here runs high on the men side (maybe 53% men in Austin?). You may say "that's okay, the remaining 3% are probably gay", but there aren't a lot of gay people in Austin either..It's the opposite of say, Manhattan - where it's heavily weighted with women . My angle in the matter.

Lot's of activities for the more rugged outdoor types here though.

Welcome to Texas!
What? there aren't refined outdoor types in Austin, or there aren't any activities for them--only the rugged ones?

Answer to OP's question: yes, Austin is a great place to be 31 and single. There's a lot of nightlife and not just for college-aged kids. I suggest checking it out to see what you think.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:16 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,369 times
Hi, I have a good friend who recently got a job offer in Austin and is planning to move in August..she's in her mid 30's and single.. do you think Austin is an ideal city for her? Thanks!

Old 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,331 times
If you're in your 30s, not necessarily. The primary age groups here are traditional college age (18-25) and 40+ (cheap housing to raise family).

Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM

59 posts, read 181,160 times
Any more thoughts on this?

Old 05-30-2010, 05:21 PM

19 posts, read 39,808 times
@AlwayzRight,

If you believe in appeasing women and being an emotional sponge that soaks up all of their mindless banter for them and be a Captain Save-A-Hoe no matter how much you may think that they are infallible or throwed-off/schizo/((insert American-government-created disorder here)), then they will give praise and accolades to you.

Most of all, if you aren't overweight, if you are White and/or sound White, wear skinny jeans, have a malepurse, have a car that is not a jalopy/bucket/"piece" of a car yet something better then those aforementioned cars, have your own spot (i.e. have your own place of residence like an apt., house, etc), and have a job and/or going to UT/Huston-Til/((insert ATX post-secondary-ed institution here) - and learn how be a robot and don't try to impress them with your unique individuality right away - you'll do just fine in Austin, bro.

Last edited by e. irizarry: la vuelta 2; 05-30-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 PM

14 posts, read 34,252 times
Wow, sounds like some people on here have gotten burned.

I'm in a serious relationship, but given the amount of young people in Austin (and not just college students), I imagine it would be a great city to live in if you're single.

Austin ranked 2rd for best cities for singles on this list:
Best Cities for Singles - LoveToKnow Best

#1 on this list
Moderator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service

#3 on this one
America's Best Cities for Singles- Page 4 - Articles - Travel + Leisure

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2010 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: