Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,511,280 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about men's fashion, nor do I have any male or female friends that know much about it either. I could use some advice on good places to shop in Austin for men's short sleeve t-shirts and shorts.

Just a little background on what I'm looking for: I'm 28, 6'5" and 210 lbs, so I'm a combination of very tall and slender. I look terrible in baggy clothes and look best in clothes that are fitted (I usually look better in European styles than American styles). I have a hard time finding shorts that come down to my knees and t-shirts that are long enough without being too baggy. As far as style goes, I like cargo shorts (as long as they're not too baggy) and graphic t-shirts. I don't mind spending a little bit of cash for good clothes, but I don't want to spend over $50 on a t-shirt or pair of shorts.

Any suggestions on stores I should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,438,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I don't know much about men's fashion, nor do I have any male or female friends that know much about it either. I could use some advice on good places to shop in Austin for men's short sleeve t-shirts and shorts.

Just a little background on what I'm looking for: I'm 28, 6'5" and 210 lbs, so I'm a combination of very tall and slender. I look terrible in baggy clothes and look best in clothes that are fitted (I usually look better in European styles than American styles). I have a hard time finding shorts that come down to my knees and t-shirts that are long enough without being too baggy. As far as style goes, I like cargo shorts (as long as they're not too baggy) and graphic t-shirts. I don't mind spending a little bit of cash for good clothes, but I don't want to spend over $50 on a t-shirt or pair of shorts.

Any suggestions on stores I should consider?
This may not be as dressy as you want(although there are different styles); but, give Academy, REI or Sports Authority a try for Columbia Sportswear. They have a lot of 'Dry Fast' type materials that are great in our summers. Academy also has a couple of brands that are less expensive 'knock-offs' of Columbia...Magellan and Austin Shirt Company, I believe. Stein Mart has a bit of Columbia, as well as Polo, Izod and others. REI is having a sale currently...some of their 'trail wear' can be a little spendy for such casual styles. Have fun!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,013,040 times
Nordstroms!

They have great service, great selection, and fairly reasonable prices.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:15 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,511,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Nordstroms!

They have great service, great selection, and fairly reasonable prices.
I've bought stuff at Nordstrom's before and got pretty good results. Have you been to the new Nordstrom's Rack at the Great Hills shopping center at 183 and 360? I've heard that the prices there are even lower, but I don't know if the selection would be that great since the items sold there are close-outs.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,814,423 times
Not local but excellent quality at reasonable prices...

Crazyshirts.com has lots of excellent quality graphic designed t-shirt as well as some very good quality shorts. The shirts I have bought all tend to be cut longer then most. Again, excellent graphic's on these.

Woolrich.com has some excellent T, henley and Polo shirts. They tend to be cut long also. Take a look at their Kettle Creek collection, it is an an unusual textured mesh cotton fabric that is very comfortable. Their First Fork Collection, is excellent as well, in a more traditional smooth cotton fabric.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:51 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,603,963 times
Old Navy that's where I get shorts

Old 05-23-2010, 06:05 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,751,574 times
Last Call off South Lamar - need to sift through junk, but good stuff to be had -sometimes for practically free! And remember you are not in a fashion capital - even if you dress well, the locals are oblivious!

Old 05-23-2010, 06:56 PM

172 posts, read 514,113 times
San Marcos or Round Rock outlet stores.

Guess/Kenneth Cole/Calvin Klein/DKNY/etc.. if you like more 'fashion-y' clothes and then GAP/American Eagle/Banana/Old Navy/etc.. if you like more 'traditional' clothes.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,347 times
I can't offer you any suggestions of local stores, but I am just commiserating with you because my husband has the same build - tall and narrow. Seems like the "tall" stores are also "tall and big". We've had good luck with LLBean through the mail because they (finally) have clothes that are "tall" but also come in medium. (For years, their tall lines started with size large.) If you want to go that route, they are at L.L.Bean: FREE Shipping on Summer Clothing for the Whole Family.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:08 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,571,046 times
Can't go wrong with Macy's or Dillard's. Big selection to chose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin