Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times

Advertisements

It's like anything else, Pro's vs con's. The pro's definitely out weigh the cons for me as far as Austin goes. Plus, if you need a break there are so many things to to just outside of Austin. Sleepier towns like Fredricksburg, New Braunfels, San Marcos, Wimberly, Georgetown, Bastrop etc are all great places to "chill".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 12,895 times
Are New Braunfels and San Marcos growing along with Austin or do people view them as too far away? Seems like a good central location for a construction supply if they are also seeing good growth since you would be able to hit Austin and San Antonio both. I grew up 50 miles south of Chicago and when I was a kid it was considered the boonies. Now it's an acceptable commuting distance for people who work in the city.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 PM

260 posts, read 904,666 times
Bluesboy,

My brother-in-law is in the residential construction business (homebuilder) focused in the New Braunfels and San Marcos area. Their business has been hit hard with the economy and he's now relocated to Houston and doing Hurricane Ike restoration/re-build projects. From what he's hearing from local RE agents, the market is still very slow. From a long-term perspective, I think those two cities will be a great place to invest because of their location along with being in the hill country, quant downtown area, and rivers. But... short-term I would suggest being closer in. Also keep in mind that gas prices also change the mind-set of commuters Additionally, it seems people are working longer hours due to employers not willing to hire more people... so commute time is becoming more important. It's my overall impression that people in Austin really don't want to spend more than 30 minutes in their car each way.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 PM

260 posts, read 904,666 times
Oh, I should add... my husband and I both commuted from San Marcos to Austin for a while and hated it. There have been some freeway improvements completed or in plan to be completed that would make the commute a little more tolerable. Still... driving from San Marcos to downtown/south Austin area is 30 minutes with no traffic. Driving to north Austin it's more like 45 minutes. With traffic...double that commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin