Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:07 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,996,752 times

Advertisements

It's insanity already. I feel like I've been asleep for a very long time. The number of oil rigs is almost as unfathomable as the gusher itself. What continues to haunt my thoughts is how in the world did all of this ever take place with no effective back up plan? How???

How could rigs be put in such sensitive areas with no oversight? Oh wait, it IS because we're asleep.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006

Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
It's insanity already. I feel like I've been asleep for a very long time. The number of oil rigs is almost as unfathomable as the gusher itself. What continues to haunt my thoughts is how in the world did all of this ever take place with no effective back up plan? How???

How could rigs be put in such sensitive areas with no oversight? Oh wait, it IS because we're asleep.
The industry is just giving us what we want. Feeding our insatiable thirst for gasoline.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
It's amazing with all those thousands of platforms, and the noise/impact that they must make underwater, that so much seafood still came out of the Gulf (before the spill, I mean).

I know that only a few of those rigs are the ultra-deepwater type (you can see how few there are past the visible ridge on the ocean bottom). So the vast majority are probably of the type where you could send actual divers down to the level of the wellhead, and maybe would be more controllable if an accident occurred.

The deepwater stuff >5000 ft down is a relatively new thing. Here is an article about it from 2006: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/bu...wanted=2&fta=y

Old 05-31-2010, 01:28 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,996,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The industry is just giving us what we want. Feeding our insatiable thirst for gasoline.

I don't believe that at all. I don't have an insatiable thirst for gasoline. And, I don't have an alternative. It's more like their insatiable thirst for more money, power and control.

I see the feed is kaput.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 PM

You could buy an electric vehicle, ride a bicycle, move to a walkable neighborhood, use mass transit, etc. So could I, No one is forcing us to buy gasoline. Yes as long as we will buy it they will sell the gasoline to us.

Some people are choosing lifestyles that do not include driving a gas guzzling automobile. Reference this thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...l#post14412952

Old 05-31-2010, 01:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I don't believe that at all. I don't have an insatiable thirst for gasoline. And, I don't have an alternative. It's more like their insatiable thirst for more money, power and control.

I see the feed is kaput.
No one who has an insatiable thirst for gasoline thinks that they have that. That's the point - we want to keep our current lifestyle (which is dependent on gasoline, not only for our own personal vehicles, but for all the things that are transported to make that life possible - food, clothing, building materials, all transported from one place to another). No one who lives in this society isn't dependent on gasoline at least to some degree, unless everything they eat/wear/live in/make their living at is locally produced. Can you say that about yourself?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:58 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Millions of stockholders including probably millions of Americans. :-)
I wonder how stock values would be effected if stock came with liability, where stock owners could become liable for paying damages, once the rest of the companies assets were depleted.
Why should the risks, of owning part of a company, be limited to only the loss of the actual stock?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:00 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
That's probably because stockholders have extremely limited, if any, influence on the day to day operations and even the executive decisions regarding running a company. This includes all the "little folk" - retired people dependent on their investments to survive, young folks building up their life savings, etc. Most of whom wouldn't have clue one about running a business anyway, and would make even worse decisions.

The effect on stock values would be that the stock market, and our economy, would come tumbling down.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM

653 posts, read 1,793,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
No one who has an insatiable thirst for gasoline thinks that they have that. That's the point - we want to keep our current lifestyle (which is dependent on gasoline, not only for our own personal vehicles, but for all the things that are transported to make that life possible - food, clothing, building materials, all transported from one place to another). No one who lives in this society isn't dependent on gasoline at least to some degree, unless everything they eat/wear/live in/make their living at is locally produced. Can you say that about yourself?
I would be content to pay a lot more for the energy I use.
We use oil without having to pay for many of the externalities, and too keep it cheap we do not require the use of the best available technology for reducing the externalities.
If we did, the cost of alternative "green" energy might end up being lower than that of oil based energy.

To much of the argument, to reduce the use of carbon based fuels, is based around the global warming argument (which because science is not yet knowledgeable enough to absolutely prove, there is a huge movement to convince people that global warming is not a real problem).
If more of the argument was based around the risks of the pollution (some direct, and some which occurs only when there are accidents), it would be more difficult to make an argument against the cost of developing alternative energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin