Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 AM

7 posts, read 27,331 times

Advertisements

Greetings, all. I've been doing some online searching for acreage in the greater Austin area and happened upon a little area called Middle Gabriel Estates, in Georgetown. We were hoping to have a handful of chickens and 2-3 goats, and were wondering if anyone knows of animal restrictions in the Middle Gabriel Estates. The properties we're interested in in that area are in the 5-10 acre range.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
I'm confirming what I think I know about Middle Gabriel Estates, getting the restrictions emailed to me so I can have them in front of me when I respond (there's variations in all of these areas and I prefer not to give out information that might be for one with a very similar name that belongs to another!), but I think that a couple of goats and a handful of chickens would be just fine there.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-02-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM

Okay, I have the Deed Restrictions for Middle Gabriel Estates in front of me.

First off, they don't allow hogs. However, given that I've seen 100 acre parcels out in the boonies that have a restriction against hog operations, that doesn't surprise me much.

What the restrictions say regarding animals is:

"The keeping of animals or livestock other than those that can be classified as household pets shall be governed by the Restriction Control Committee."

It then goes on to say that with prior written permission of said committee, a limited number of animals can be kept for "personal pleasure or hobby" and that the place where the animals must be kept clean and the buildings for their care kept in good repair, and that if this is not done and there are sufficient complaints from all the neighbors within 500 feet, the committee can have the work done at the expense of the owner of the tract in question.

So bottom line, it looks like you could have your limited number of goats and chickens, in theory as well as in practice.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 AM

171 posts, read 790,553 times
Just wanted to add that my old neighborhood in Georgetown has homes on 2-10 acre lots and they allow chickens and goats. In fact, the deed restrictions read almost exactly like the ones TxHorseLady found. It's called Whitetail Estates off Leander road (2243). (I wasn't familiar with Middle Gabriel, but I looked it up and the homes seem similar. Just no San Gabriel River views.)

My sister just got a bunch of baby chicks and they are so stinking cute! I'm forced to be city girl now and am jealous of you country folk.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM

DFW won't let you have chickens? Heck, Austin's got an annual Back Yard Coop tour for all the people who have, or want to have, chickens in their back yards!

Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
"The keeping of animals or livestock other than those that can be classified as household pets shall be governed by the Restriction Control Committee."

Argh...I am looking and looking and not finding the contact information for the Restriction Control Committee here in the Middle Gabriel Estates. I would like to get written approval from them for my chicks; but, really, I could just slap up the coop and call it good, considering I have no neighbors within 500 feet **grimace**...

Any of you know where I can go to find the committee's contact information?

Thanks!
Kilsharion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: