Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,457 times

Advertisements

I am currently finishing up my undergrad degree here in New York City and am looking at UT-Austin to study for my graduate degree. I've heard great things about Houston but not much about Austin, however from what I've read the music scene is awesome and it's a great place for singles. I just got some questions,

How is the interracial dating scene?

I don't drink much, at all actually.. and to my understanding drinking is a big part of the social lifestyle in Texas? I don't want to end up being the black sheep, I do however like to burn a little once in a while.

How is the live music/jazz cafe's compared to Houston and Dallas?

Will I need a car?

From time to time I like to snowboard during the winter and paintball during the summer, are there any good nearby locations for this?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 12:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Try Houston. It's a bigger city. More music. More activities.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:53 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
If you go to UT and live close by, you will not need a car if you don't ever plan on venturing outside of a small area. However, I would definitely want one because public transportation here is AWFUL.

I've noticed interracial couples all over town. That said, I don't know how the 'scene' is because I am middle aged and married.

Lots and lots of live music here but I can't tell you how much of it is jazz.

Sorry I wish I could be of more help, but at least my post will bump you to the top of the board and then maybe someone more knowledgeable can jump in.
No snowboarding/skiing within a day's drive of here.

I cannot imagine non-drinking being an issue, but again, I am old so I don't know what kind of expectations 20 somethings have of their friends.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
A quick google search turned up around 11 places in the Austin area for paintballing. I doubt you will find anyplace in the entire state for snowboarding. Most people from Austin go to New Mexico or Colorado for snow sports. It is a long drive.

You can look up the detailed demographics of Austin here //www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Basically Austin is about 53% white, 30% hispanics and 10% blacks and 17% other races.

Austin was recently rated as one of the top 10 drunkest cities. //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...r-top-ten.html But I doubt you will be an outcast if you don't drink heavily.

Austin bills it self as the Live Music Capital of the World City of Austin - City of Austin Music It is a bit of an exaggeration but there is a lot of live music here and lots of festivals.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
Hello, I am living in Austin, Texas right now, You see Mixed couples every where you go, It is a part of life out here, If you are a ut student and live close to the school, you more then likely do not need a car since everything is pretty much close by. Downtown Austin everyone pretty much walks.
Hope this helps, good luck to you

Old 05-30-2010, 04:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Mass transit systems in Austin are horrible. But if you plan well, to be along major mass transit routes and closet to work or school, you can get by most of the time.

I don't know anyone who has done that so far.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 PM

14 posts, read 34,263 times
To answer some of your questions:

I'm not sure about the interracial "scene," though I would say that Austin is fairly diverse and people are, in general, laid-back about such things.

It's true that Austinites love to drink, though there is plenty to to do outside of the bar scene. I have a number of friends that don't drink and I'm a rather infrequent drinker myself. Some activities that don't involve drinking are going to a movie at Alamo Drafthouse (quirky local theater that serves food and has fun events), catching a bite to eat with friends, going to see a band play or dancing at a local club, etc.

Not sure about the jazz scene here, though there's lots of live music and several large music festivals throughout the year.

A lot of people will say that a car is mandatory in Austin (and in Texas, for that matter), but I know a number of people that get by just fine without one. It just depends on where you live in the city. Downtown and the area around UT are very walkable and bike-friendly, though it gets more difficult the farther outside of central Austin that you live. You could always invest in a scooter for getting around (I know several people that rely on scooters instead of cars) or check into one of the carshare programs in town that enable you to rent a car when you need one. There is a bus system which is decent, though because Austin is fairly spread out, it can take awhile to get from one destination to the next using the bus. I've found that the buses are also somewhat unreliable on timing.

As others have said, there's not much in the way of snow in Texas. You'd have to go to New Mexico or Colorado for winter sports. Austin and the rest of Central Texas is great for outdoor activities, though, such as swimming in the springs, kayaking on the river, running along the trails, visiting the Greenbelt, etc.

Hope that helps. Good luck on your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin