Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:09 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I moved out here from the East Bay (Hayward/San Lorenzo) in 2006 - where I lived most of my life, lived in Georgetown and now hang my hat in Round Rock. Here is my comparisons to the two states/cities.

1. Traffic isn't as bad - but the drivers out here are a WHOLE lot worse than in California. I guess since car insurance is cheaper here. ($100/mo vs $44/mo now - for me at least)

2. Car registration is A LOT cheaper than California. I was paying $149/yr on my little Toyota Echo, and now I only pay $50/yr here.

3. The stores are less crowded and more cleaner here. The sales clerks are more friendly.

4. I can own a house making $11/hr. Cost of living is cheaper so I can afford it. I would have NEVER been able to own a house in the Bay Area unless I won the lottery first!

5. Not too many "gang-bangers" and cars with loud, obnoxious (c)rap music blasting out of them.

6. As just an observation only: Less minorities here. It's more "white" out here.

7. People are more friendly here. It's nice getting waved at or said Hello to by total strangers!

8. I feel more safer here than I did back there. The high crime rate. I got mugged and burglarized while living there.

Overall, I like Texas a bunch better because of those things, and others.

The stuff I don't like:

1. The Heat

2. The scary severe weather - hail and threats of tornadoes, high winds.

3. Everything is a bit too spread out. (Especially living here in Round Rock and not wanting to make the drive out to Austin on a Saturday night)

4. The beach is a 6 hour drive from here versus less than 30 minutes to Half Moon Bay - where I'd go from time to time from my old place. Sorry Lake Travis doesn't count as a "beach" for me!

5. The property taxes.
So you like Texas because it's "whiter" than the Bay Area? Wow. Just, wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 03:45 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
So you like Texas because it's "whiter" than the Bay Area? Wow. Just, wow.
Uh no - I did make sure to note it was just an "observation".

Old 06-05-2010, 10:37 PM

48 posts, read 208,358 times
"There are no Trader Joe's."

Of course not. This Whole Foods/Wild Oats territory.

"5. The property taxes."

How much are property taxes in Austin? What are the median home prices. Say a typical 3br 1.5-2ba house at about 900-1200 SF w/ 1 or 2 car garage on a 5000-7200SF lot.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:19 PM

6 posts, read 21,754 times
Hello, I'm actually in the exact opposite position. I am moving from Austin, and have to decide between SF, Orange county, or Houston...i know sounds crazy to compare Houston to any of these but this is for law school and I'm originally from Houston, where my family and lower cost of living is ha. Money aside, I'm leaning towards SF because of the experience i'll get in the city. I'm very open minded and want to move somewhere where I will meet friendly, genuine people. I've never lived out of Texas, but not the stereotypical cowgirl texan people seem to think come from Texas. I like the city, as well as outdoors, which is why i feel like SF will fit. However I've heard a lot that it is a much better place to visit than to live; and that the weather is nice at first, but after a while the fog, rain and cold will start to get to you. Any take on that? I am not a fan of the Texas heat, or humidity, but don't want to be cold all the time.
Also I do not know how much i will need to drive there, but the driving in Austin makes me crazy. Slow and bad..nothing chill about it. But the city is one of the best places to live in Texas and has lots of friendly people!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 PM

There's not much rain, fog and cold in SF - mainly during the winter months. I actually like the fog and it's looks really nice rolling into the bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge.

If you can afford the high cost of living, high rents, and everything else in SF - go for it.

You're better off living in the East Bay (Oakland, Hayward, San Leandro, etc). The further away from SF, the cheaper it is. I lived in the East Bay for most of my life (Hayward, San Lorenzo mostly).

Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
There's not much rain, fog and cold in SF - mainly during the winter months. I actually like the fog and it's looks really nice rolling into the bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge.

If you can afford the high cost of living, high rents, and everything else in SF - go for it.

You're better off living in the East Bay (Oakland, Hayward, San Leandro, etc). The further away from SF, the cheaper it is. I lived in the East Bay for most of my life (Hayward, San Lorenzo mostly).
Fair enough - but I'm not so sure I would recommend Oakland. Be very careful where in Oakland you might live.

SF might be a great experience. It will be very different. Perhaps you can export some Texas sensibility to them!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:38 PM

6 posts, read 21,754 times
haha thanks guys...i recently went up there and loved it, and i enjoyed the fog over the mountains i just dont know if it gets depressing after a while. Did you say theres not much rain and fog? I've heard otherwise but if you live/lived there then i take your word for it! Maybe its just in comparison to Houston and Austin, but i guess the humidity cancels that out

Luckily, I am fortunate enough to be able to afford living in a nicer area near the school. I know it will be different for sure, but change can be good if you make it...i hope OH last question, hows the earthquake situation up there? I've never been in one and don't want to but i think i can handle a little shaking every now and then.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by te12 View Post

OH last question, hows the earthquake situation up there? I've never been in one and don't want to but i think i can handle a little shaking every now and then.
It's not like there is an earthquake every day out there. I lived thru MANY of them while living out there. Sometimes I'd wake up in the middle of the night with my bed shaking for a few seconds. Or I'd be sitting there at my computer and feel a slight rumble/shake.

They are VERY few and far between. I was out there in '89 for the big one tho and that one was pretty scary.

But other than that, I'd take an earthquake ANY day over a tornado!

I'm more scared of them than a little ol' earthquake!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
The beach from round rock is prob around 3.5-4 hours depending on how fast you drive. Try north padre island. On the plus side the water is warm vs the bay area where you need a wetsuit. The sand is much nicer than the bay area sand.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
It seems to be a popular idea that Austinites, or Texans, resent Californians, or others that move here.

I think it is grossly exaggerated. Maybe it is joked about, but when it comes down to a new neighbor that moved here from San Jose, people are still cool with it.

I like interesting weather. So I like storms - at least to a point. I have been in SF when the fog rolled in. I like that too. All that stuff reminds me that we don't control our world.

I don't know about Nomadic's comments re: jobs and pay. My teenage son makes $11/hr right now working as a lifeguard. I am in the software business. I have had employees in both Texas and the Bay Area. We paid senior developers in Texas $100K or more. We paid about 15% more for Bay Area people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin