Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:00 AM

269 posts, read 666,943 times

Advertisements

Yes that cleared it up. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Pretty much correct. The student section at DKR stadium is something like 5000-7000 seats out of 102,000. The other 95% of the stadium is filled with alumni (really, can a student afford a $80+ ticket?) and t-shirt fans. Most come from in from Dallas or Houston, which are full of UT alums. But we'll take their $$$ and give them a show, I think they generally have a great time when they visit. Then they will kindly leave.

A&M does get a lot more students in the stadium, it seems like. Probably because they haven't been selling out, and would rather give the tix to the students than have them sit empty. Plus with their yell squad and the corps, there is a higher interest in the games.
I think you are mistaken about the number of students that attend UT games. It is probably 3-4 times greater than your estimate. It is still a smaller percentage than at A&M. A&M has always reserved more seating for students, even when the stadium was regularly sold out. UT has a larger alumni base - and a higher percentage of suite ticket sales.

Students at UT do not pay $80 per ticket. They generally buy an All Sports Pass at a significant discount.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Students at UT do not pay $80 per ticket. They generally buy an All Sports Pass at a significant discount.
I know about the sports pass students can get, I was more making the point that about the limited amount of student tickets. If they can't get one through the drawing with their sports pass, assuming the games are all sellouts (as they have been), they would have to buy resale tickets.. which I imagine would start around their face value for most games. That is a lot for a student to pay.

And you are right, the student count is certainly higher with all the stadium expansion -- but it's still a small percentage compared to the overwhelming majority of the crowd, which are alumni and other non-student fans. Plus, even at 3-4 times my estimate, the # of students would be way less than half the typical UT enrollment... so the statement "most students do not go" would be accurate.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,513 times
Does Austin have more preserved buildings than the rest of Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierXion View Post
Why does Austin have so many preserved buildings, establishments, parks, and a thriving creative culture, while many other cities in Texas seem to be much worse on these fronts. Why is this?

Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
It has a lot of preserved buildings, but my guess is that San Antonio and a few other South and/or South West Texas towns have more than Austin, especially age wise since many of them date late 1600's to 1700's (many of them missions and forts).

Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,149 times
Default Weird is the culture. no real culture other than weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Ok fair enough. It is definitely not just about voting patterns. Why do you think you have not have good experiences in Austin and all of these other people so quickly come to bat for it? I am just lukewarm about Austin... It just seems that the creative people just go on and on about Austin and I don't really get it either. What cities would you recommend besides Dallas? I am considering Sarasota, Fl..... love the beach and its smaller and easy to get around and a top small "art city."

[url=http://mscresources.michaelsaunders.com/sarasota/top-25-small-cities]Top 25 Small Cities | MSC Resources[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm socially liberal and artistic. And I still found Austin to be too conservative and slow for my tastes. I didn't meet any far out colorful people in Austin once, except on Halloween. lol. Eeyore's birthday doesn't count since it's a total rip off of The Wicker Man movie.

So let's not mislead people into thinking Austin is San Fransisco Bay, Manhattan, or even Dallas. And I agree about the whiteness factor. When I go out partying I want to see brown, black, yellow, and white all mixed together having a great time. Thank you.
Agreed.

Many more culture rich cities out there including Seattle, Chicago, Houston and about a 100 other places. And yes, it seems like Austin is more of a "vacation resort" town rather than a city. People have the energy of vacationers. I don't know how much longer I can live....here...mentally....melting...away.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4littlecuties View Post
Agreed.

Many more culture rich cities out there including Seattle, Chicago, Houston and about a 100 other places. And yes, it seems like Austin is more of a "vacation resort" town rather than a city. People have the energy of vacationers. I don't know how much longer I can live....here...mentally....melting...away.
I lived in Seattle for 18 years. I disagree. I suppose it is a question of what you mean by "culture." I feel there is a much more creative bend to this city than to Seattle. Much more of an entrepreneurial spirit too.

Perhaps your four little cuties are standing in the way of you getting out and really getting to know the city. When my son was younger it was hard to appreciate everything a city had to offer because we were limited by our ability to get a babysitter and bound by nap times.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Incorrect. Austin is FAR from a vacation spot. Nobody would travel to Austin except for a business trip, or SXSW or ACL fest. There simply isn't enough to do around these parts. Once again, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston TRUMP Austin with regards to tourist/business dollars being pumped into the local economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4littlecuties View Post
Agreed.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavalierXion View Post
Why does Austin have so many preserved buildings, establishments, parks, and a thriving creative culture, while many other cities in Texas seem to be much worse on these fronts. Why is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Does Austin have more preserved buildings than the rest of Texas?
There are roughly 538 properties listed by the City of Austin as Historic Landmarks. The City of Austin has a Historical Preservation Ordinance that can prevent many property owners from tearing down buildings that are considered "Historic". It also grants property tax exemptions to owners who agree to preserve the exterior historical aspects of their property. The City has been criticized for allowing too many buildings to get this historic landmark designation as it takes them off of the tax roles.

Quote:
City of Austin - Historic Landmarks
[SIZE=2]What Are the Benefits of Becoming an Austin Historic Landmark?
The City Council grants a tax exemption to Austin Historic Landmarks. The amount of exemption available depends on whether or not the property is income producing or not. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin