Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times

Advertisements

OMG, roaches and scorpions would be the LEAST of your concerns if you made the foolish decision to move to Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco92 View Post
My Husband and I are having a very difficult time making a decision to move to Austin. His main reason for being reluctant to move is that he's afraid of having the roaches and scorpions in the apartments (out in the wood is acceptable but not in the home). This is going to be our deal breaker. How realistic is it that we will actually see roaches and scorpions in the apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
My Husband and I are having a very difficult time making a decision to move to Austin. His main reason for being reluctant to move is that he's afraid of having the roaches and scorpions in the apartments (out in the wood is acceptable but not in the home). This is going to be our deal breaker. How realistic is it that we will actually see roaches and scorpions in the apartments?
You should assume you will eventually, if not immediately, see roaches, ants and other critters. You'll probably bring some with you without knowing it because they love cardboard boxes and moving vans.

If this is a deal breaker for you, you either need to change your mindset/expectations about bugs or seek out a more sterile city.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 12-17-2010, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 35,647 times
Some of the posts on here are pretty funny. I'm considering a move to Austin as well and don't want to come face to face with any giant roaches either. Currently I live in NV and in the 16 years I've lived here never have I come across a single cockroach so no, cockroaches are not just "a part of life".

It's a pretty valid concern for people who have actual phobias about certain types of insects. A little less personal criticism and a little more answering the question might be useful.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
I just re-read this whole thread and was laughing out loud, what a thread.

muxz, I have to tell you . . . we have bugs in Texas!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
We have bugs in TX but in 33 years here I have never had a problem that an annual or semi-annual trip from the exterminator didn't take care of.

Not a big deal.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
...I have never had a problem that an annual or semi-annual trip from the exterminator didn't take care of.
Hot fudge and some graham crackers are effective in getting rid of the big tree roaches. Just don't let on to the holiday guests exactly what the secret ingredient is on the exotic desert tray!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Saw a couple scorpions around our new home near Round Rock when we first moved in (1995), Swatted those little suckers & haven't seen one since.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxz View Post
Some of the posts on here are pretty funny. I'm considering a move to Austin as well and don't want to come face to face with any giant roaches either. Currently I live in NV and in the 16 years I've lived here never have I come across a single cockroach so no, cockroaches are not just "a part of life".

It's a pretty valid concern for people who have actual phobias about certain types of insects. A little less personal criticism and a little more answering the question might be useful.

I had a GIANT and I mean GIANT Palmetto bug(they call it that rather than a cockroach because women might have a heart attack if they acknowledged it was a giant roach) actually charge me after I failed to fully dispatch it despite whacking it quite hard it when it was on the ceiling.

He hid for a good half hour and when I was sitting with my feet up on the chair he came out from behind the furniture and charged right at me on the floor with malice. He overestimated himself though as I had a shoe at hand and was victorious.

Oh and they can fly at you also.

But after living here for years and actually seeing brown recluses and black widows the roaches become a triviality. Also living here will make you love and respect the magic substance known as boric acid.(totally safe to humans unless you eat it by the teaspoon dont let anyone tell you otherwise)

Old 12-17-2010, 08:56 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
I had a scorpion in an upstairs bathtub that we rarely use but that is about it. We had a standard roach once in an apartment. Both are/were brand new when we moved in and there are usually some bugs in new properties especially in newly developed areas. Nothing like our apartment in NYC...that was bad.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:52 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
The bugs here are vicious and really are everywhere.

Not only are the roaches very large (around 2 inches) they fly. The worst is when one gets in the house and is flying everywhere.

We have had about 4 scorpions in the house over 10 years. Not a lot, but not zero either.

The worst though are the crickets and flying beetles that cover every store in the spring at night. They literally carpet the exterior walls and you crunch them as you walk into the store. Because they jump and fly they will get in your hair and at the very least crawl on your legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin