Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 AM
ail ail started this thread

34 posts, read 79,200 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the Lakeway area of Austin, and am looking for an excellent preschool. Also could use any interesting info about the area generally as I'm not familiar with the area at all! thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:09 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
Not much selection when it comes to daycares. The best one was foreclosed on and they're going to reopen soon, but it's going to be "British" starting at 3 years up to 12. Seems like more of an after-school program that they'll do, but there's not much information.

There is Primrose in BeeCave, which is where I put my daughter after the other school closed. It's good with great curriculum. There is a place called Noah's Ark. Don't know much about it except that several moms I know didn't like it. It's in a shopping strip center, and that seems weird for a daycare.

There are three Montessori schools. One is only until 3:30 so that doesn't work if you need full time. One goes M-TH which also doesn't work if you need full time. Lakehill Montessori is where a lot of other kids went after the school closed. I didn't pick that one because you have to bring a sack lunch and they wear a uniform. I think hot meals are important for the younger age, and I think uniforms at age 2 are ridiculous!

There is a place called Julie's that is 2 1/2 years and up. It's just an old house, and when I walked in, I was shocked. About 30 kids running around lose with one teacher, claiming the other teacher called in sick or something. That's against state numbers, but I just turned around and left.

Other than those places, you'll have to look for Mother's Day Out programs which are only school year programs, with no summer option. Most have long waiting lists.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 PM

I appreciate this info--I'm so surprised by the lack of good options! I'll look into the places you've recommended, and dig some more as well. Anything else about Lakeway area in terms of interesting activities with kids, shopping, restaurants, etc?

Old 06-08-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm part of a mom's group that does tons of activities all week all month. You just sign up for the events you can join. Go to meetup.com and find the Bee Cave/Lakeway group. THe organizer lives 3 doors down from me. Her name is Becky H so you know you're looking at the right group. By the way, my name is Donna in case you're asked how you found the group.

Most of the shopping is at the Galleria in Bee Cave, and then you have to go to Sunset Valley (Brodie Ln and 71/290) about 20 minutes away for the rest of the big-box stuff. Not the most convenient, but I'm learning to deal with it. There are only two grocery stores so not much variety, HEB and Randalls. The New Flower Market opened a couple of months ago and it's helping keep the HEB produce prices down as they were ridiculously high.

There are new restaurants opening all the time. The vast majority is Mexican (Tex-Mex) with Flores, La Feria, Mesa Rosa, Iron Cactus and two new ones about to open. Many of the restaurants have playscapes so the kids can play instead of whine before dinner. I had never seen this concept until moving here. It's great, except my daughter rather play than eat.

Coming from Dallas, I was very disappointed in the lack of choices for daycares, groceries, and shopping. I'm used to multiple grocery stores on every corner. I'm used to a daycare being on almost every corner. I don't know where you're moving from, but if it's from a place like Dallas, just fair warning that you'll be a little shell shocked for quite a while!!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 PM

THANK YOU!!! i will join this group! looking forward to exploring Lakeway, and the rest of Austin once i move in August. Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:04 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,107,786 times
Ok, this thread actually motivated me to google "Lakeway" and figure out exactly where it is! (20 years in Austin and I don't know but I am not "lake focused" and rarely go out that way.)

It is certainly no Dallas, a town of about 10,000 on the lake, way out there west of town. Is it the landscape (hills and lake) that is the attraction? Is it all master-planned communities? This is not snark but honest curiosity, why does someone move out there?

When I first moved here, my only association with the town Lakeway was retirees and second homes.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM

22 posts, read 83,305 times
The British daycare that one poster referred to is actually a private school, opening in the fall. It has a British style curriculum and is an International School, open to all children. It's called The British International School of Texas and will go from Kindergarten through 5th or 6th grade, I think. They learn Spanish and Mandarin as part of the curriculum. The school was a part of a private school fair a few months back, that's how I know.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 PM

326 posts, read 824,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Ok, this thread actually motivated me to google "Lakeway" and figure out exactly where it is! (20 years in Austin and I don't know but I am not "lake focused" and rarely go out that way.)

It is certainly no Dallas, a town of about 10,000 on the lake, way out there west of town. Is it the landscape (hills and lake) that is the attraction? Is it all master-planned communities? This is not snark but honest curiosity, why does someone move out there?

When I first moved here, my only association with the town Lakeway was retirees and second homes.
i don't live there but nearby - i think good schools are a draw in addition to nice hills, views and lake. i'm sure i'll get slammed for saying this but strikes me as a place where those who can't afford westlake live.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 PM

I don't live "in" Lakeway, but I live in neighboring Bee Cave. Lakeway used to be a sleepy retirement place, but not since the last 10+ years. My in-laws live there. The schools out here, Lake Travis, are the top rated district right behind Eanes.

Westlake, Bee Cave, and Lakeway have some very comparable priced homes. In much of Westlake, you're getting larger lots and older homes, whereas much of Lakeway and Bee Cave, you get standard-sized lots with newer homes, but still plenty of places within those cities with large lots and land with character.

I personally didn't move to Westlake because I don't like "old", so it's not a place where people go who can't afford Westlake. I like new, and was able to build a brand new home instead of some 20, 30, 50+ year old home that gives me the heeby geebies... and I'm still 20 minutes from downtown! People think Bee Cave is far, but it's not. It's directly West of Downtown.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 AM

Any of you have experience with the YMCA in that area? Any other good gyms that have child watch as well? Thanks again for all your tips and info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin