Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,732 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering a move from LA to Austin for many of the positive reasons all of you have mentioned.

By far, my biggest incentive is the real estate savings. My greatest hesitation is the increased humidity.

Given that, one point I'm on the fence about is the singles scene. I'm 30 and ready to settle down, but I'm afraid I might be too old for Austin (if not already married).

I work in film production, which I would hope to continue in some capacity in Austin. I love the activity of LA, so I hope to have a similarly good nightlife there, as well. When I stopped there on my drive cross-country from the East Coast, it seemed to be fun.

I find it hard to find a relationship in LA. I have many great girlfriends who are going through the same struggle. I would love to meet an intelligent country boy, someone who is equally as career AND family oriented as I am. I really don't want to have to choose between the two. Is this possible?

Thanks for your wise words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 AM

14 posts, read 62,095 times
Austin has a very large singles scene, as well as a film scene. I think you would fit in fine. Most of the non college crowd will hang out in the 4th street district where there is lots of great live music and quite a few lounges/ restraunts. Plus the real estate is about 1/4th of what it is in LA.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegirlie9 View Post
I find it hard to find a relationship in LA. I have many great girlfriends who are going through the same struggle. I would love to meet an intelligent country boy, someone who is equally as career AND family oriented as I am. I really don't want to have to choose between the two. Is this possible?
As a male in my 30s who has lived in both LA and Austin, I'll have to say your odds at finding marriage material are probably better in Austin as long as you aren't on the hunt for marrying a movie star.

Now, I don't think you should get your heart set on a "country boy" since most Austinites didn't even grow up in Austin and many aren't from Texas at all. This city has more than doubled in population size since the early 90s so most people living here aren't from here.

One big difference between Austin and LA for dating is that in LA, a huge # of 30-somethings are single and happy to be that way. In Austin, I would guess that it is flipped where most in their 30s are married and a large number of the ones who are single have already been divorced once.

The singles scene in Austin is skewed a bit towards the younger set -- college age and post college -- but there are still plenty of opportunities for those who are in their 30s.

Good luck on your move! Finding steady jobs in film production might be more of a challenge here than finding your mate.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegirlie9 View Post
My greatest hesitation is the increased humidity.
It's not really that humid here. It's more humid than LA but it's tolerable. It's just hot mostly.

Quote:
I work in film production, which I would hope to continue in some capacity in Austin.
The film industry is doing very well in Austin. You should have no trouble.

Quote:
I love the activity of LA, so I hope to have a similarly good nightlife there, as well. When I stopped there on my drive cross-country from the East Coast, it seemed to be fun.
Austin definitely has an excellent night life.

Quote:

Thanks for your wise words
Country Boy??!? HAHAHA!!! This is not Mayberry. People don't walk around in cowboy hats saying, "Howdy, Ma'am".

Old 06-18-2007, 01:36 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Country Boy??!? HAHAHA!!! This is not Mayberry. People don't walk around in cowboy hats saying, "Howdy, Ma'am".
Well, in a few of the towns outside Austin, some do ...Georgetown, Buda, and Dripping Springs still have their share...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin