Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:00 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
.....What is your industry? You are just asking if there are jobs. Could you tell us what you do? Don't you think that is important to let us know?
I majored in chemical engineering, just got out of grad school (Masters) in December. I've been working but I'm kind of interested in trying something new.

And yeah... I've been looking at other places too; I'm more just wondering if Austin is just trendy or if I'd actually like it there and it would be worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 08:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
On everything you read, Austin is cool. People want to move there. There are supposedly jobs being created, at least better than most places in the country. It's progressive, cool, and hip, with warm weather, decent cost-of-living, and lots of stuff to do. My guess is that I'd like Austin because my hobbies seem include walking/hiking, shopping at market-type/local places, and college football (with tailgating and beer of course.) I'm a late-20s guy who likes blending some progressive stuff with traditional American pastimes.

But... my question is... is it really worth it? Would it be a good place to really look for a job, or are too many people moving there because it's supposedly cool? I'm thinking about looking in Austin but because I'm far away (Michigan), I'm wondering if I should even bother.
Honestly? Way too many people moving here because they think it is "cool", has warm weather, etc. I'm breaking it to you frankly -- do not move here without some sort of a job either lined up or savings to float you by as you are looking for a job. No job could have gotten you by in 2004 (when I moved here), but not now. You'd just be yet another 20 something (to add to the gazillion 20 somethings, native Texan and transplant) trying to eke a living. Think a goldfish in a small pond. There are jobs created, but also there are thousands of people applying for said jobs. I say yeah, take a chance, but really you should just save up some money.

Austin (and its surburbs) is a nice city. Ain't no complaints about that, but seriously, it's not the Mecca that people who post here keep thinking that it is. A lot of people move down here, and then end up posting about how insufferably hot it is, how liberal it isn't, how they can't seem to find a job that's paying more than $10/hr. etc. Austin is a great place, but I dunno...this latest "it city" trend is kind of wacky. The people who were born in Austin will tell you that they really liked things when the city wasn't "it", and I can't say that I blame them.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
I think you need to schedule a three to four day visit to get a sense of the place and if it's right for you. I really like it here and it's the place we've decided to settle, but I do think it is over-hyped in the media. I think the reason that some of the posters upthread are so nasty about it is that they bought the hype and came down here expecting something that was unrealistic. Much better not to move anywhere without fully checking it out and seeing if it is what you are expecting.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Definitely visit. Stop in Dallas and Houston, too. Austin gets a lot of hype, and if you live in the central city, you'll pretty much experience all the cool things. But if you live in the suburbs (well, some of them anyway), you could find yourself in the same cookie cutter existence that largely defines the DFW or Houston metro... but paying more for it. And probably getting paid less at your job. So if that's the kind of existence you want, then maybe you should check out DFW or Houston.

And to answer your first question: Yes, I think too many people have moved here because they've heard the job situation is good, and it's such a good place to live. Like any desirable place, people who are talented and willing to sacrifice a little can definitely still make a go of it here... but you will have much, much more competition for jobs vs. Dallas or Houston.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No. If you have a teenager's immature small-minded mush mentality and you love the longhorns then you might enjoy Austin. 6th street is designed to encourage alcoholism and festivity without class and culture involved. Austin offers far less than a major Texas city. And the homeless bums are totally out of control.

If you are a mature adult that enjoys lavish art communities, multiculturalism, gargantuan shopping centers at nearly every corner, professional sports teams, professional customer service, and big city life then you need to try Dallas or Houston. I've never heard a single snarky or rude comment when I've ordered food or services in those two cities.

Austin is a whole other story where you cannot do anything without people rolling their eyes at you or making really dumb jokes at your expense. Every waiter and customer service coordinator thinks they are George Carlin or Kathy Griffin.

Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are for adults. Austin is for snooty brats and politicians.
Dude, for the love of ****, get the **** over yourself! Goddamn! Seriously, so you have your problems with this city. Alright, hell, it's not my perfect kind of place either, but I still like it. If you don't, then get the **** outta here and go to Dallas or Houston or some place you like. But for the love of sweet Jesus please quit being the first guy to make bad comments about Austin! Good lord man! And on top of that you basically offend half the posters on this thread by saying that only those with "a teenager's immature small-minded mush mentality" would enjoy this place. That's just rude, man. Learn some class. But whatever dude. You're trolling these forums from the safety of your computer and all my ranting isn't gonna do a goddamn bit of good because you'll keep doing this indefinitely. I totally understand that, and I can't stop you, especially when I can't speak my mind in person. So I know this is futile, but I just had to say something, because your apparent attitude is just getting to be a bit much. Whatever, keep doing your thing. Good lord.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Yes, I suppose you are correct. What do we need with high end malls like Northpark, Highland Park Village, Galleria, Shops at Willowbend, Stonebriar, Collin Creek, Valleyview. (just to name a few). Austin has the ultimate hillbilly Lakeline Mall and that pathetic barton creek mall. I normally refer to that as the shoddy Dallas area mall immitator. I think people who walk in that mall "THINK" they are high end Dallas people.
And by the way, creepstein, if you think Lakeline Mall is hillbilly, then you either haven't been here since the '90s, or don't know what you're talking about. Like, at all.
Jeez, I know there are things people don't like about the Austin area, but if you're gonna bash the city, at least be educated about it! Good lord.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Yes, I suppose you are correct. What do we need with high end malls like Northpark, Highland Park Village, Galleria, Shops at Willowbend, Stonebriar, Collin Creek, Valleyview. (just to name a few). Austin has the ultimate hillbilly Lakeline Mall and that pathetic barton creek mall. I normally refer to that as the shoddy Dallas area mall immitator. I think people who walk in that mall "THINK" they are high end Dallas people.

The Domain - Austin, TX 78758 | Simon Malls

Arboretum Market, Austin-Barshop & Oles#

Nordstrom - Austin, TX 78746 | Barton Creek Square

Old 06-08-2010, 11:45 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
And by the way, creepstein, if you think Lakeline Mall is hillbilly, then you either haven't been here since the '90s, or don't know what you're talking about. Like, at all.
Jeez, I know there are things people don't like about the Austin area, but if you're gonna bash the city, at least be educated about it! Good lord.

You are both barking up the wrong tree. Just last month eep was complaining that high end malls were a blight on the face of Austin. He specifically mentioned The Domain, even though that is very comprable to the malls that he mentions and now champions.

The best thing to do with multiple personality disorder, is to gently take eepstein by the shoulders, look him in the eyes, and say in a calm voice:

"No eepstein. I don't like this new friend. Can someone else come out to play?"

Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You are both barking up the wrong tree. Just last month eep was complaining that high end malls were a blight on the face of Austin. He specifically mentioned The Domain, even though that is very comprable to the malls that he mentions and now champions.

The best thing to do with multiple personality disorder, is to gently take eepstein by the shoulders, look him in the eyes, and say in a calm voice:

"No eepstein. I don't like this new friend. Can someone else come out to play?"
Haha! I can see him holding up a finger and saying in a croaky voice, "Eepstein isn't here right now, JayBrown!" Lulz.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:28 AM

147 posts, read 572,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Honestly? Way too many people moving here because they think it is "cool", has warm weather, etc. I'm breaking it to you frankly -- do not move here without some sort of a job either lined up or savings to float you by as you are looking for a job. No job could have gotten you by in 2004 (when I moved here), but not now. You'd just be yet another 20 something (to add to the gazillion 20 somethings, native Texan and transplant) trying to eke a living. Think a goldfish in a small pond. There are jobs created, but also there are thousands of people applying for said jobs. I say yeah, take a chance, but really you should just save up some money.

Austin (and its suburbs) is a nice city. Ain't no complaints about that, but seriously, it's not the Mecca that people who post here keep thinking that it is. A lot of people move down here, and then end up posting about how insufferably hot it is, how liberal it isn't, how they can't seem to find a job that's paying more than $10/hr. etc. Austin is a great place, but I dunno...this latest "it city" trend is kind of wacky. The people who were born in Austin will tell you that they really liked things when the city wasn't "it", and I can't say that I blame them.

riaelise is spot on here. A good job here is hard to get. There is stiff competition. It would be best to find a job first before you move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin