U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:36 AM

27 posts, read 81,203 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Australia with my husband. We are considering Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

What is important for us is:

1) Excellent public transportation: we are not going to have a car, so we will have to rely on public transportation to go to work every day and for evening activities

2) We want to live in a vibrant urban city with lots of things to do

We live in Chicago, IL USA now and we love it here, but it is extremely cold. It has all the ingredients we treasure in a city minus the weather. That is the type of city we are looking for. Any feedback is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 AM

511 posts, read 1,655,681 times
Sydney and Melbourne from what I've read. Though, I've heard Melbourne's climate can be cold, but to a person from Chicago, it'll probably seem desirable. Melbourne has a good trolley system, I believe.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 PM

14,788 posts, read 15,436,239 times
Inner Melbourne for Public transport. The tram system is very good.

The winter;s get cold by Australian standards, but there is never snow in the city. The low's can get to around 0 over night ... but around 4 or 5 deg is more common.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,585,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Inner Melbourne for Public transport. The tram system is very good.

The winter;s get cold by Australian standards, but there is never snow in the city. The low's can get to around 0 over night ... but around 4 or 5 deg is more common.
Never say never, it's snowed a handful of times in Melbourne's CBD (the last time was as recently as 1995, when flakes were mixed with rain, although nothing settled). It very occasionally falls in the suburbs, more regularly in the Dandenongs.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 PM

14,788 posts, read 15,436,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Never say never, it's snowed a handful of times in Melbourne's CBD (the last time was as recently as 1995, when flakes were mixed with rain, although nothing settled). It very occasionally falls in the suburbs, more regularly in the Dandenongs.
true!

and considering I didn't live too far from the Dandenongs - it gets friggen cold! I use to enjoy the frosts in the morning too

But by Chicago standards, I am sure it'll be fine

Old 06-15-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
true!

and considering I didn't live too far from the Dandenongs - it gets friggen cold! I use to enjoy the frosts in the morning too

But by Chicago standards, I am sure it'll be fine
Melbourne's extreme low was -2.8C - which is a typical Chicago winter high temp. And yes, the CBD is often the warmest and driest part of the metro area.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,285,466 times
No, the western suburbs are the driest part of the Metro area. Avalon Airport I believe recieves only 404mm of annual rainfall, places like Laverton are around 480mm.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
No, the western suburbs are the driest part of the Metro area. Avalon Airport I believe recieves only 404mm of annual rainfall, places like Laverton are around 480mm.
Melbourne's CBD practically IS a western suburb . The metro area is probably one of the most lop-sided in the world, with the bulk of the suburbs being east of Flinders Street. I was illustrating how suburbs like Box Hill can get something like 750mm, and be cold and grey while the CBD is warm and sunny.

404mm sounds way too low; I'm guessing more like 504mm at the lowest. Maybe in recent years. Geelong gets about 550mm.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 AM

37,370 posts, read 37,686,289 times
Melbourne has public transportation and the winters are mild compared to Chicago. There are plenty cultural activities there as well.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:17 AM

24 posts, read 35,698 times
1) Best Public Transport is easily Melbourne. The largest Tram fleet in the world and the most extensive commuter rail system in the country. Sydney second with brisbane a distance third.

2) If you want a vibrant city then don't go to brisbane. The longest month of my life was a weekend i spent in brisbane. what a snorefest.

Melbourne or sydney take your pick

3)Brisbane has the mildest and warmest year round climate but that's where it ends for brisbane. Sydney is nice most of time but as with a melbourne winter it gets cold as well.

Compared to frost bitten chicago all three cities are positively balmy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand