U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 12,508 times

Advertisements

I am always toying with the idea of moving to a different area - for a number of different reasons (financial, change of scenery, etc etc) but one of them is certainly social/dating life.

I'm from Adelaide and have lived here most of my childhood and adult life.

I am finding the "dating" scene here almost non-existent and pretty much impossible. I do get asked out from time to time, but it's almost always conditional on "putting out", so to speak, and I'm just not that type of girl on a first date.

I also find people settle down here very young (ie they may not marry, but a lot are living with a partner at 19, 20, 21). It's increasingly difficult to find even single girlfriends to go out with to do anything. I also find in my age group (late 20s), an awful lot of the men in my age group are international students/migrants and are generally dating/with people from their own ethnic and religious group (ie Indian, Chinese etc). Even the city can be quite dead on a Friday or Saturday night and I get the impression a lot of people who aren't settled down just have house parties with old friends (ie sometimes their old high school friends) and drink. Not to mention going out in Adelaide can be pretty damn expensive at times.

Online dating seemed like a solution but to be honest I have done a lot of work in the non-profit sector (and thus work with a lot of people who are drug addicts/unemployed etc) and I am constantly coming across clients, so it's not really appropriate for me to go down that route, nor is it indicative that the pool of guys there is terribly great.

I know a lot of people, particularly guys, leave Adelaide at this age, either to the mines/country (ie tradies etc) or to the bigger cities (ie the more corporate types). It's hard to make a living here.

Just curious, do you guys think that there are other areas of Australia that are more conducive to a more active social and dating life for a single female? I tend to think that the problem generally isn't myself being an undesireable quality - I'm intelligent, smart, have a decent job, own my own house and car, have a decent group of friends, know how to behave in social situations, have long hair, am tall and relatively thin (5"10, size 10) but curvy, and don't believe I have a toxic personality - but I can barely even find a single guy because everyone seems coupled up / cliquey. I'm willing to consider towns and cities of all sorts. Even a mining town with a high proportion of young single guys might be a better option.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 AM

25 posts, read 65,500 times
Yes forget online dating. Definitely a pool of dregs from the bottom in many cases. People who are confident and well balanced simply don't need to enrol on there because they can meet people easily in real life, so you end up sifting through a bucket of duds with very fancy, specially-crafted profiles talking themselves up, but usually find out what their drawback is in real life when you meet in the flesh! :P

I reckon just get out of Adelaide for a while and go travel/work somewhere else. It would also broaden you and show the kind of guys that you may be after that you are a bit worldly and haven't just stayed where you were born etc.

Probably the bigger cities e.g. Sydney/Melb would have more vibrant social scenes and a much higher chance of mixing with some nice guys etc.

Just my 0.02c. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 05:19 PM

14,780 posts, read 15,817,115 times
well, Adelaide is a smaller population ... bigger Aus cities (Syd/Melb) larger populations + people from around the globe - more chance of meeting someone who you might find interesting.

Regarding online dating - I don't think it has the same view as a few years back. I know a few people who have been quite successful using rsvp etc. It's just another way to meet people. I wouldn't totally discount it.

I've lived in both Syd & Melb during my 20's ... never had a problem in going out/finding something to do.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:25 PM

20 posts, read 41,021 times
Is on-line dating that bad? Admittedly I haven't done it, and I'm not a young, single male either. But I wouldn't have thought it was full of nasty people?

A few no doubt. And I am sure people fib. I just would have thought it is a good social alternative for people nowadays.

Sydney is marvellous, all round....

Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 PM

24,682 posts, read 51,856,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by more_adventurous82 View Post
I am always toying with the idea of moving to a different area - for a number of different reasons (financial, change of scenery, etc etc) but one of them is certainly social/dating life.

I'm from Adelaide and have lived here most of my childhood and adult life.

I am finding the "dating" scene here almost non-existent and pretty much impossible. I do get asked out from time to time, but it's almost always conditional on "putting out", so to speak, and I'm just not that type of girl on a first date.

I also find people settle down here very young (ie they may not marry, but a lot are living with a partner at 19, 20, 21). It's increasingly difficult to find even single girlfriends to go out with to do anything. I also find in my age group (late 20s), an awful lot of the men in my age group are international students/migrants and are generally dating/with people from their own ethnic and religious group (ie Indian, Chinese etc). Even the city can be quite dead on a Friday or Saturday night and I get the impression a lot of people who aren't settled down just have house parties with old friends (ie sometimes their old high school friends) and drink. Not to mention going out in Adelaide can be pretty damn expensive at times.

Online dating seemed like a solution but to be honest I have done a lot of work in the non-profit sector (and thus work with a lot of people who are drug addicts/unemployed etc) and I am constantly coming across clients, so it's not really appropriate for me to go down that route, nor is it indicative that the pool of guys there is terribly great.

I know a lot of people, particularly guys, leave Adelaide at this age, either to the mines/country (ie tradies etc) or to the bigger cities (ie the more corporate types). It's hard to make a living here.

Just curious, do you guys think that there are other areas of Australia that are more conducive to a more active social and dating life for a single female? I tend to think that the problem generally isn't myself being an undesireable quality - I'm intelligent, smart, have a decent job, own my own house and car, have a decent group of friends, know how to behave in social situations, have long hair, am tall and relatively thin (5"10, size 10) but curvy, and don't believe I have a toxic personality - but I can barely even find a single guy because everyone seems coupled up / cliquey. I'm willing to consider towns and cities of all sorts. Even a mining town with a high proportion of young single guys might be a better option.
I don't think the problem is Adelaide but the fact like many women you're just a wee bit picky/might not know what you want. Really, what can you find in Sydney or Melbourne you can't find in Adelaide? There's over a million people in Adelaide I don't think there's a shortage of good men, to be honest. You just might not know where to look. Also don't just wait for guys to ask you out. Maybe you're getting the wrong 'type' hitting on you.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 AM

1 posts, read 11,254 times
hi more_adventurous,
I sympathise with you as my girlfriends and I - in our late 20s also - spend many a time shaking our heads at the miserable world of men.
I lived in Melbourne for 6 years which is a great city in terms of things to do if you're single, but I had sooo much trouble meeting nice guys who weren't taken. The ratio of females to males in capital cities (in Oz at least) is actually statistically higher - true!! This is a broad generalisation but unfortunately, a) means guys are more likely to behave badly they have a bigger pool of chicks to choose from & play around with, b)get away with whatever because a lot of girls are desperate & happy to settle with 5th best (this is certainly the case in Melbourne, from my own experience).
So i have no idea but perhaps the solution is to find a location/city/interest group where there is a female shortage?!?
Good luck - I've heard Canada is a good place to find a husband?! might give this a try!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:37 PM

359 posts, read 609,251 times
The other side of what has been posted is girls see men who don't have sex on their mind as quintessential losers. The war of the sexes, will it ever end.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 AM

17 posts, read 54,936 times
I grew up in a town 80kms from Melbourne.

Everyone got married and fat by the time they were 25. Most had kids by then too.

Thank god I got "out".

Move to Melbourne or Sydney. Both are fantastic cities to be a young single person in. I'd say Melbourne people are more welcoming to newbies, Sydney is more cliquey.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,822,268 times
What about Brisbane or Gold Coast as one of the options?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,851,663 times
Pic please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand