Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:53 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,265,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Canberra is even colder than Christchurch during winter! It is a bit sunnier though.

Presumably houses in Canberra are insulated to a greater extent than elsewhere in Aus?
Not sure about that as I've never lived there, but I do recall a friend of mine saying once that he literally ran to the shower each morning during winter as his Canberra apartment was freezing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 05:17 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,854,854 times
Was it worth while me posting to this thread?

I figured other posters could cover the differences between different city's climates, so initially I wasn't going to bother posting. But it seemed like at least Hairy wanted to hear my opinions, so I thought it might be fun to unload my opinions of each city's climate based on what I've read at BOM.

Interesting that Christchurch's winters are also milder than Canberra's.

Comparisons between North American winters and Canberra's are "apples and oranges" in terms of living-difficulty, since here we all-but-expect to be comfortable anywhere indoors. Outdoors however, Canberra's frosty winters vaugely resemble winters or late-autumns in eastern North America and their frostiness might mean more European deciduous trees would thive, adding familiarity.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,738,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Canberra is even colder than Christchurch during winter! It is a bit sunnier though.

Presumably houses in Canberra are insulated to a greater extent than elsewhere in Aus?
Canberrans are prepared for winter more than anywhere else in Australia.
100 frosts a year is not to be sneezed at.
Most houses have either central heating or reverse cycle air-conditioning.
I spent a winter in the Darling Downs area of Queensland, and the houses there were certainly not prepared for the cold, even though the winter was brief by southern standards.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,190,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I spent a winter in the Darling Downs area of Queensland, and the houses there were certainly not prepared for the cold, even though the winter was brief by southern standards.
I live in a fibro house which offers as much insulation as a cardbox box, according to Vichel (think it was you? lol). First couple of weeks in Bridgetown we had a number of mornings dipping to -2, -3 and the house definitely got down to single digits. Had a bottle of olive oil that said 'may become cloudy at 7C' - it wasn't just cloudy, was like candle wax! Using it in the morning was more like using butter or honey.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post

Good to know.

What are they thinking?
Parts of Darling Downs are easily colder than Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney in winter. (altitude)
Take a captain's at this:

Stanthorpe QLD:
Lowest monthly avg hi/lo of 14.8 C/1.0 C, record low -10.6 C, coldest high 4.0 C.
Climate statistics for Australian locations

Applethorpe QLD:
Lowest monthly avg hi/lo of 13.9/1.9 C, record of -8.4 C, coldest recorded high 2.9 C

Which part of Darling Downs were you in btw?
Toowoomba is milder than them, perhaps "heat island" helps them.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,740,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I live in a fibro house which offers as much insulation as a cardbox box, according to Vichel (think it was you? lol). First couple of weeks in Bridgetown we had a number of mornings dipping to -2, -3 and the house definitely got down to single digits. Had a bottle of olive oil that said 'may become cloudy at 7C' - it wasn't just cloudy, was like candle wax! Using it in the morning was more like using butter or honey.
Yeah, that was me. Been in fibro houses in winter, so I know what it's like. You poor thing!

Even in a brick home, last night, left the family room which has heating, to our bedroom and bathroom, which doesn't .... BRRRRRR! There's that sudden, uncomfortable cold, your once-warm clothes are cold against your skin, the bathroom tiles are like ice-blocks, and there'll be no warming up til you get into bed. Even then, the sheets are freezing. I hate flannel sheets but I can understand why people use them all winter. Must be much worse for you.

How's the olive oil? It should have survived the experience. Unlike Coldie, he wouldn't ... (just kidding, CC! ) Note to CC: don't move to Bridgetown. Don't live in a fibro house anywhere. Cheap and nasty those houses. Cheap and nasty.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:38 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,190,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah, that was me. Been in fibro houses in winter, so I know what it's like. You poor thing!

Even in a brick home, last night, left the family room which has heating, to our bedroom and bathroom, which doesn't .... BRRRRRR! There's that sudden, uncomfortable cold, your once-warm clothes are cold against your skin, the bathroom tiles are like ice-blocks, and there'll be no warming up til you get into bed. Even then, the sheets are freezing. I hate flannel sheets but I can understand why people use them all winter. Must be much worse for you.

How's the olive oil? It should have survived the experience. Unlike Coldie, he wouldn't ... (just kidding, CC! ) Note to CC: don't move to Bridgetown. Don't live in a fibro house anywhere. Cheap and nasty those houses. Cheap and nasty.
Ah, get what you pay for don't you? Yeah that's one of the worst things. Without heating my bed feels more like an ice-block, and all my clothes feel damp from the cold . You dress in there like you would outdoors, pretty much, lol.

Yeah when you get used to heating it's hard to go back to going without.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Lol.

After my autumn camping experience in the Gulf States,
I believe I could accomodate "cardboard box" levels of insulation and warmth, somewhere lows below 10 C most of the year are "rare-ish."
Camping wasn't too hard when the lows stayed 10+ C.

In your opinion, does that also rule out Perth?
I know that Adelaide is definitely pushing it, with an annual avg. low of 11 C.

Thanks for telling me about fibro.
You seem convinced they are the worst for insulation that Oz has to offer.
(but at least they're fire-retardent; good in a bush fire)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,081,711 times
Quote:
Now imagine this nine months of the year -- that's Christchurch!

Don't you live in Perth? It's difficult to imagine it being cold there. I would've though lows of 5 C or lower are uncommon and usually accompanied by daily temps in the high teens?

Do they have electric blankets in Aus?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,738,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Good to know.

What are they thinking?
Parts of Darling Downs are easily colder than Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney in winter. (altitude)
Take a captain's at this:

Stanthorpe QLD:
Lowest monthly avg hi/lo of 14.8 C/1.0 C, record low -10.6 C, coldest high 4.0 C.

Applethorpe QLD:
Lowest monthly avg hi/lo of 13.9/1.9 C, record of -8.4 C, coldest recorded high 2.9 C

Which part of Darling Downs were you in btw?
Toowoomba is milder than them, perhaps "heat island" helps them.
I was in the Western Downs, near Dalby.
Nowhere near as cold as the places listed above, which are also known as part of the "Granite Belt", the coldest area in Queensland and geologically part of the New England area - a very high plateau (by Oz standards) in northern NSW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand