Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 36,985,292 times

Advertisements

My prayers go out the all the Kiwis affected. I've been in Christchurch and it is a lovely city. I'm a former Californian and have been through some big quakes but 7.2 is major, scary and horrendous. I know the worry now is aftershocks. Any word on the cathedral and the area around it? Thinking about how those great old buildings are built.. Oh, man.

This breaks my heart.

Hang in there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,379,962 times
Sickening when its this local it really hits home.....my family and friends there are unhurt, but quite abit of damage to their properties.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 PM

35 posts, read 100,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My prayers go out the all the Kiwis affected. I've been in Christchurch and it is a lovely city. I'm a former Californian and have been through some big quakes but 7.2 is major, scary and horrendous. I know the worry now is aftershocks. Any word on the cathedral and the area around it? Thinking about how those great old buildings are built.. Oh, man.

This breaks my heart.

Hang in there!!
Thank you DewDropInn. You will be happy to hear the Cathedral, also the Arts Centre are fine.

Unfortunately many other older brick buildings have been destroyed. The central city has been closed off and evacuated by troops and the police. They expect a few more buildings might collapse in the aftershocks.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovski View Post
Thank you DewDropInn. You will be happy to hear the Cathedral, also the Arts Centre are fine.

Unfortunately many other older brick buildings have been destroyed. The central city has been closed off and evacuated by troops and the police. They expect a few more buildings might collapse in the aftershocks.
I know the CBD well as I often rented an apartment there and recognized many of the streets.

Hopefully my friends and many former co workers are all safe and sound. My other worry is the Ruapuna race track as it is near the epicenter. Last thing we need is the track all cracked up.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,694,188 times
Wow! I just read some reports on this and pictures of the damage and it's terrible! I knew 7+ was bad but the pictures and description of the damage really made it crystal clear how strong such a quake is. The brick buildings seem to have just disintegrated, bricks all over the road, crushing cars .... OMG!

And for it to happen while it's dark and everyone in bed, what a shock! But if it had occurred later in the day, with people outside it would have been awful. Anyone near those brick buildings ... don't want to even think about it. Thank god no fatalities! I feel so bad for everyone there. All the best to our Kiwi neighbours.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:11 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,041,272 times
You guys are being a little melodramatic! I don't understand why this is an international news item -- it's really not a big deal. The damage is mainly confined to ruptured sewerage pipes in New Brighton and some old buildings in the CBD. I drove around town all day hoping to find some scene of horrific devastation to gawk at but there were hardly any signs of damage.

It was pretty exciting though. I was woken up at about 4:30 this morning by what I thought was someone knocking at my door. Then the window started rattling and stuff started falling off the shelves. I leapt out of bed but the ground was shaking so much I couldn't stand up!

I surveyed the damage, checked that the water pipes hadn't burst and the house wasn't falling down, checked to see if there were any tsunami warnings, then went back to bed. I kept being woken up by countless aftershocks that continued until around noon.

Not much damage here. A few glasses and some crockery were broken. My cuckoo clock was also broken.

The biggest casualty was the fountain:
Attached Thumbnails
News, Earthquake Measuring 7.2 Hits New Zealand, USGS Says.-p10205621.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 01:12 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,041,272 times
The chimneys also sustained damage:
Attached Thumbnails
News, Earthquake Measuring 7.2 Hits New Zealand, USGS Says.-p10205673.jpg  

Old 09-04-2010, 04:51 AM

10,781 posts, read 8,694,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
You guys are being a little melodramatic! I don't understand why this is an international news item -- it's really not a big deal.

Well I'm glad we're being melodramatic and the news is making a bigger deal out of it than it really is (as the media is wont to do!). Good to hear you're okay Chester.

Quote:
Not much damage here. A few glasses and some crockery were broken. My cuckoo clock was also broken.

The biggest casualty was the fountain:
Oh, I'm sorry, Chester! Guess it was a pretty big deal afterall? They probably held some meaning for you, the cuckoo clock and the fountain. It's always the things with way more sentimental value than real value that hurts the most when they get damaged.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:22 AM

35 posts, read 100,157 times
Quote:
You guys are being a little melodramatic!
Im very sorry. Next time I get thrown out of bed, have a bookcase fall on top of me, have a toilet flood my downstairs and have a crack running through my living room floor, have all my crockery smash, my fridge crash down giving me a new walk way between my kitchen and laundry I'll be a little less dramatic.

I'll also tell that to the old lady who lives across the street from me who was in her underwear crying her ****ing eyes out because her chimney had collapsed putting a big hole in her bedroom and crushing her car. My wife had to give her her own dressing gown to give the poor woman some dignity.

Yeah a little melodramatic. Some people have lost their houses, youve lost a cuckoo clock. Maybe it was an attempt at humor, but right now Im not finding that a blind bit of funny mate.

btw, stay in Brighton. We dont need idiots driving aimlessly through the city centre looking out for people misery.

Maybe its a huge deal because of the magnitude. $1.5 bil USD damaged sounds like a big deal to me too. 7.0 was the same as the Haiti quake. Im just glad I live somewhere that can sustain something of this magnitude relatively unscathed.

Only one person dead is a miracle.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,924,286 times
One death is too many but had it happened a few or so hrs later more deaths would of occured. I have read NZ is now under a curfew. 7.0 is a good shaker. I saw the news & the damage on tv.

I sure hope i dont ever see a 7.0 here.

http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/art...1&aid=39002792
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand