Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:07 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

Maori percentage seems to be in the teens. I would imagine Brit-Kiwis (is that a term) are the highest percentage.

But, quite a few 'other' european groups came in? Who and how do they fit in? Quite well?

These days, quite a few from Asia are pouring into OZ & NZ, right? How are they fitting in?

Also, any tensions between Asian/Maori...or do they bond being non-european...or basically outsiders among everyone else?

Just curious how all this is fitting together over there in NZ....Auckland in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
NZ should have statistics on that sort of thing. I don't really know but I believe NZ's population is even more Anglo-dominated than Australia's, especially the Scottish ancestry. No idea how big say the Italian or German population is. Asians - East, Southeast and South Asians - are defintely getting up there, but alot of them are students. Go to areas near the university in Auckland, Wellington or Dunedin and you will see tons of them. As for Maoris they seem far more visible in mainstream NZ culture than aborigines in Oz, but suffer the same negative stereotypes. I think a segment of the Maori population is resentful of 'pakehas' (non-Maoris) too, which would probably include all the other immigrant groups.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:10 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Actually I know of a Filipina Nurse. She got a work visa as is currently a nurse somewhere in New Zealand.

I asked her if she thought about emigrating there. She said that she didn't want to live there permanantly, as she felt some friction/tensions with the locals - i.e. that they thought she was in their lands and didn't REALLY belong there...and while she didn't really say specifically if it was euro or maori...I kinda got the impression it was with maori, although I couldn't really tell. Not sure.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 AM

35 posts, read 100,896 times
Certainly most European NZers have historically come from the UK and Ireland.

Dont discount the massive intake of Dutch that came in directly after the second world war.

Other long standing European groups include the Croatians. First arrived 1880s, integrated well, much mixed marriage with the maori. Strong ties between the two groups here. In the early part of the 1900s a few Scandinavians, Italian, Poles and Germans.

Of late its been a free for all! Quite a good thing in my opinion. Heck they let me in! IMO it doesnt take long for immigrant groups to become Kiwi. They dont exactly lose their national identity but seem to embrace Kiwiness. Ive never heard of a Serb-Kiwi and Croatian-Kiwi continue their ethnic conflict here, unlike as still happens in say Melbourne for instance.

Although some numbers are small you will find every European nation represented in NZ. Well, maybe no Andorrans or Faeroese???

Ive not encountered any direct negative issues with the Maori. I work with a few, really good people. I certainly recognise not all will have had the same experiences as me. Dont lose any sleep about it. Maori appreciate that the country is multicultural, I like the fact NZ includes them in society!

Without a doubt the influx of Asians over the last 15 years has been massive. I honestly doubt anyone cares too much about that. Somehow suspect someone might post otherwise.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
I lived in Auckland all my life so my comments are purely based on my experiences.

As a child Auckland was very white, very few Asians, mainly 2nd or 3rd generation Irish, English, Scottish with a few Croatians, Lebanese, Dutch etc.

NZ opened its immigration policy in 1987 and Auckland had an influx of Asians who changed the face of the city. Whole areas became Asian. Go to Howick or Mt Albert and you will see shop signs written in Korean or Chinese.

Auckland became a huge melting pot of races with a lot of friction between certain groups, for example the Tongans and Somali in Mt Roskill.

I personally object to our open immigration points system. I believe it has caused endless issues and problems. Add to that is an indigenous population who want their country back and you have a potential for another land war in New Zealand.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:13 AM

387 posts, read 870,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I lived in Auckland all my life so my comments are purely based on my experiences.

As a child Auckland was very white, very few Asians, mainly 2nd or 3rd generation Irish, English, Scottish with a few Croatians, Lebanese, Dutch etc.

NZ opened its immigration policy in 1987 and Auckland had an influx of Asians who changed the face of the city. Whole areas became Asian. Go to Howick or Mt Albert and you will see shop signs written in Korean or Chinese.

Auckland became a huge melting pot of races with a lot of friction between certain groups, for example the Tongans and Somali in Mt Roskill.

I personally object to our open immigration points system. I believe it has caused endless issues and problems. Add to that is an indigenous population who want their country back and you have a potential for another land war in New Zealand.
Mind you ...Maori are really immigrants too ...and not that long ago.

I agree there may be troubled times ahead. However we should have as many Asians as Maori by then ...Asians will impose more presence in our society and won't tolerate much civil disobedience and might start kicking butt if Maori stir up too much trouble

Old 09-19-2010, 10:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post

I agree there may be troubled times ahead. However we should have as many Asians as Maori by then ...Asians will impose more presence in our society and won't tolerate much civil disobedience and might start kicking butt if Maori stir up too much trouble
Yes a lot of the righteous indignation crowd in NZ seem to forget the Maori really didn't predate the Europeans by many years and at a minimum went to work decimating most of the animal population in the country and like on the South Island for instance, only a few hundred Maori actually lived there.

Asians don't seem to be integrating well in NZ and most Kiwis openly express their hostility about Asians in the country, especially making fun of their driving(with good reason actually). A lot of the students are tolerated due to bringing in big international student fees. My own opinion is that there is enough going between the maori and those of european descent that the large immigration from Asia puts people off some.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post

I'm sorry, that is a ridiculous statement to make. Maori are legally tangata whenua under British and NZ law, which gives them certain rights and privileges not afforded to anyone else in NZ.

Even if Asians do outnumber Maori they will never usurp the law and they will never have any more power than the normal NZ citizen. Their presence may change certain aspects of our culture but NZ is not and never will be an Asian-controlled domain.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I'm sorry, that is a ridiculous statement to make. Maori are legally tangata whenua under British and NZ law, which gives them certain rights and privileges not afforded to anyone else in NZ.

Even if Asians do outnumber Maori they will never usurp the law and they will never have any more power than the normal NZ citizen. Their presence may change certain aspects of our culture but NZ is not and never will be an Asian-controlled domain.
Wil have to agree to disagree ....Maori are in fact immigrants to NZ, and have not been in NZ that much longer than Europeans. I can trace some of my family in Europe farther back than Maori arrival in NZ.

The belief that they should have more rights and privileges is liberal PC ideology that many NZ'ers have internalised ......however some of us haven't been indoctrinated by the post-Marxist mind control movement .....
...aka The Labour party

Asians are part of NZ culture and will continue to have greater influence here .... that is only natural due to our location...fair enough ....we are all immigrants

Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Yes a lot of the righteous indignation crowd in NZ seem to forget the Maori really didn't predate the Europeans by many years .
LOL ...'righteous indignation crowd' .... probably really white liberal guilt.
Pity Helen's crowd didn't feel guilty about some of the things they messed up.... like the economy and the solidification of the 'right not to work' populace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand