Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,615 times

Advertisements

Yes, I enjoyed Austin... at least to visit, much more progressive than the rest of Texas. Have you checked out brokenluggage.wordpress.com it is a couple from Austin who moved to N.Z. worth checking out there adventures if you haven't already. What you may appreciate most about N.Z. is the vast areas of wilderness that are still truly wild. Many places are free of highways, cruise ships and tourists and only accessible by those that really appreciate the wilderness. Now, there are people - including greedy, ignorant developers in NZ that argue that the wilderness should be opened up to everyone. I disagree and that is precisely what has ruined much of the U.S. I hiked up Mount Washington in NH recently and was disappointed at the top because there is a big road that winds up one side and a train and it was crowded with tourists and garbage. Hopefully we won't see condos and Mcdonalds in Fiordland National park anytime soon!- N.Z. is not as clean and green as advertised, more small population density in a relatively large land mass have limited the destruction. Anyway, best of luck with your N.Z. plans, I have family, friends in Auckland, Wellington, Nelson, Christchurch who would gladly have you to stay. cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:26 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,941,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

You need to know that 20% of kiwis live outside Aotearoa, including 460,000 in Oz (2003 figures). Its higher by now (2010). Don't challenge me on these numbers, these were from a NZ gouvernment web site. You can also go to nzherald.co.nz to research the numbers of kiwis leaving for Oz. This outflow has concerned the government and has been discussed in parliament several times.

The NZ media over hype this rubbish for attention and clearly it works. The government are responding to media hype, best be seen doing something, here is some stats for you.

NZ's pop growth is averaging about 1.3% in the last decade which is about the average growth for the last 100 years. NZ's population % growth is faster than the US and UK.

Dont buy into the hype, I accept Aus is growing faster than NZ, but they are not all happy about that!, its not exactly clear if there is an advantage.

Lastly Aus is on the edge of a massively over inflated housing bubble thanks to some bad government policies in recent years. Anyone that moves for a change or better salary in the next 5 years and buys a house may be in for a major shock. Australia is behind much of the housing bubble world in the financial crisis, they haven't avoided it. International economists have expressed concern over the Aus housing bubble.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:17 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,973,168 times
Well someone tell the NZ government, the nzherald to not fall for the hype. Siuch as this website that mentions without immigration, it will unlikely increase:
http://www.stats.govt.nz/sitecore/co...n-decline.aspx though personally I trust government statistics websites.

But you must admit, that the large number of kiwis outside NZ is a large number.

As for the prior poster on Mt Washington, NH I have a season pass and go to the auto road at least 2x a month:
1, The road up is not wide, it barely fits 2 cars and steep drop offs. Try it sometime (white knuckle)
2. Its only crowded during special events -- so when you chose a day to hike, make sure there isn't a bike race, run, etc. Even then its very easy to find solitude. I've never not found solitude on that wonderful mtn.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Well someone tell the NZ government, the nzherald to not fall for the hype. Siuch as this website that mentions without immigration, it will unlikely increase:
Population decline - Population and Sustainable Development though personally I trust government statistics websites.

But you must admit, that the large number of kiwis outside NZ is a large number.

As.
Yes I am aware of the hype, you have to admit NZ's population growth is pretty normal for a OECD county.I call BS on your Link, I clearly remember when it was publicised NZ's population would not exceed 4million, and yet here we are 1.3% average per year hitting 4.4.

Around 9% of Canadians live outside of Canada, we are 10% , ummmmmmm so?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,973,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Yes I am aware of the hype, you have to admit NZ's population growth is pretty normal for a OECD county.

Around 9% of Canadians live outside of Canada, we are 10% , ummmmmmm so?
Its a good thing for NZ to encourage immigration, that article states w/o it.. it would be in decline. Canada is the 9th largest economy and is not dependent on agriculture (2%). As a G8 country, it has significantly more resources and a much higher standard of living to attract immigrants. NZ's economy is primarily agricultural with a small manufacturing and high tech. You don't need that many agricultural workers. You have to have a diversified economy to attract migrants so NZ has to use 'lifestyle' to attract immigrants as it can't compete with Oz or Canada with their larger and more diversified economies.

Last edited by minibrings; 12-08-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Its a good thing for NZ to encourage immigration, that article states w/o it.. it would be in decline.
Also Canada change their immigration rules of late, making first generation Canadians living overseas who are not Canadian citizens.. Canadian citizens.

Populations move around, we can get all hysterical over it like the NZ media or look at it more logically, over 1% per year growth is more than enough.

White (European descendant) populations the world over are largely having less children, no big surprises there either. Sure the demographics of our population is changing, just like many OECD countries.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM

NZ population has pretty much doubled in 50 years
World Bank, World Development Indicators - Google public data

Australia population has pretty much doubled in 50 years

Uk population 50 years only grown maybe 20% ish

US population grown maybe 40% ish
U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division - Google public data

Cant be bothered calculating exactly, NZ does not have a decreasing population, does however face the same challenges as nearly every other OECD with a aging population.

Quote:
. NZ's economy is primarily agricultural with a small manufacturing and high tech. You don't need that many agricultural workers. You have to have a diversified economy to attract migrants so NZ has to use 'lifestyle' to attract immigrants as it can't compete with Oz or Canada with their larger and more diversified economies.
Australia's economy is only in positive because they dig rocks out of the ground and sends them to China. With a number of 3rd world countries ramping up mineral production there are large risks for the AUS economy moving forward. Aus and NZ has had a near identical living standard for the last 150 years PRIOR to the last 10 due to the China boom.

Last edited by Battleneter; 12-08-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand