Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post
Seems like a fairly accurate list.

One of my biggest pet hates is tailgating and bad driver behaviour. I spend close to two hours a day commuting so it's common that I get tailgated or people cutting in front of me when there is no space. I've had people flash their lights at me and carry on because I've held them up for a few seconds.

Conversely people driving slowly in the right lane when the signs clearly state to keep left unless overtaking bugs the heck out of me. I can't figure out whether this is due to driver ignorance or driver arrogance.

Grocery prices also top my whinge list. Everything is getting smaller while prices go up and Cadbury blocks just shrank another 20 grams

Vent ended.
Impatient drivers tick me off almost as much as slow drivers. Why are they in such a rush? These are the same people who will see a red light maybe 100 metres in the distance and absolutely rush to it, even if it's just turned red and they have to slow down anyway. It's like they have to show off how powerful their car is to everybody at every intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 PM

497 posts, read 983,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Cold or sunless weather doesn't even make the bottom of the list?

We just had a spell that would probably make most Aussies grumpy;
11-12 C and completely sunless 3 days in a row, followed a 15 C and sunless, then a 15 C and mostly cloudy.
Isn't that worse than typical winter conditions?
Seems even Melbourne usually isn't quite that bad.
In Victoria, you'd find louder complaints about humid summer days than miserable cold, sunless, drizzly days.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
In Victoria, you'd find louder complaints about humid summer days than miserable cold, sunless, drizzly days.
I suppose Melbourne has a fair share of people who moved there specifically to avoid humid summer weather.
Disproportionate number of humidity haters, per-capita?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post
Cold or sunless weather would probably make the list for Melburnians. Melbourne is usually a degree or two higher than that in winter, ColdCanadian, but it still gets pretty wet and miserable.

We've just had a whole week of cloudy sunless weather after a really nice sunny weekend. Fooled me into thinking it was well and truly spring.
Glad to know that's not normal, even in Melbourne.
That spell I described... it's easy for that to represent some of our mildest weather for 5-6 months straight in Toronto.

What constitutes "Spring" in Melbourne?
Toronto it's purely temperature-based, though it tends to be sunnier coincidentally.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:43 PM

497 posts, read 983,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I suppose Melbourne has a fair share of people who moved there specifically to avoid humid summer weather.
Disproportionate number of humidity haters, per-capita?
On the rare humid day everyone seems annoyed and complaintive. You don't really see that with cold weather or (to a lesser extent) with hot dry conditions.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
On the rare humid day everyone seems annoyed and complaintive. You don't really see that with cold weather or (to a lesser extent) with hot dry conditions.
That would amuse me.
Funny how it sounds like the entire city acclimates that way.

Some years the bulk of our summer days (50+ days?) every arvo your skin stays sticky/sweaty, even though most people seldom feel "overheated."
It just generally accepted that some degree of stickiness usually comes with warmth.

I've also seen weather stats on what is probably considered unusually humid in a Melbourne summer,
and most of the time that's fairly normal summer conditions here; I would probably welcome that familiarity.
"Bad humidity" here can be vicious/ridiculous (Ex: sticky before sunrise, beyond-sticky from 9 am-11pm ) and rivals Brisbane's or Darwin's worst.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Impatient drivers tick me off almost as much as slow drivers. Why are they in such a rush? These are the same people who will see a red light maybe 100 metres in the distance and absolutely rush to it, even if it's just turned red and they have to slow down anyway. It's like they have to show off how powerful their car is to everybody at every intersection.
Yeah, I experience that a lot in Perth. Real leadfoots. Lots of those in Oz it seems. In a real hurry to get to that red light. Funny for such an allegedly "laid-back" (lol!) country.

One of my pet peeves, not on the list, is vandalism and graffiti. Maybe because Aussies are so used to it going on, and so used to nothing being done to the little sh**s who do it, that you just give up whinging about it. It's just part of the landscape to see things tagged and destroyed. I just hate it.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:39 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah, I experience that a lot in Perth. Real leadfoots. Lots of those in Oz it seems. In a real hurry to get to that red light. Funny for such an allegedly "laid-back" (lol!) country.

One of my pet peeves, not on the list, is vandalism and graffiti. Maybe because Aussies are so used to it going on, and so used to nothing being done to the little sh**s who do it, that you just give up whinging about it. It's just part of the landscape to see things tagged and destroyed. I just hate it.
Graffiti has always annoyed me. I think it got really bad in Perth a couple of years ago, as bad as the Eastern state cities. But I have to admit I don't seem to notice it so much now. But maybe its just improving in my own suburb

Now while on the topic of whinging, a report has just been released stating how we now pay on average double for the price of coffee here in Perth. Can someone explain to me why that is? What is it in Perth that everyone thinks the people here are all millionaires. How can coffee beans here be more expensive? I guess all national coffee houses are in on it too, it wouldn't surprise me if Gloria Jeans was charging two different prices for each side of the country

Two-speed economy widens coffee gulf | The Australian

'WEST Australians have always felt removed from the rest of the country, but now the prices they pay for coffee put them a world away. An espresso coffee in booming Perth now costs about $4 or even as much as $4.50, which is up to 50 per cent higher than the same coffee served in slow-lane places such as Sydney and Melbourne.'

Old 10-09-2010, 05:32 AM

148 posts, read 323,440 times
I live in Sydney so the biggest complaints are the state government and Cityrail

Old 10-09-2010, 04:41 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Well all in all I think we have got it pretty good in this country

But maybe because of our English heritage, we like to complain with the best of them

Anyhow 'Choice' did a survey on what annoys Australians the most, this is the Top 32 below
That's so annoying: what Australians complain about the most

1 - Hidden fees and costs
2 - No refund/replacement for faulty products, despite being under warranty
3 - Being on hold/not getting someone on the phone
4 - Tailgating
5 - No response to written or verbal complaints
6 - People talking loudly on mobiles in an inappropriate area
7 - Door-to-door salespeople/telemarketers
8 - People coughing in an enclosed area without covering their mouth
9 - Confusing broadband/phone price plans
10 - Nonchalant customer service
11 - Erroneous bills
12 - Cigarette butts littering public areas
13 - Unreliable internet
14 - Poor advice from financial planners
15 - Spam email
16 - Late repair people
17 - Noisy neighbours
18 - Long queues/checkout lines
19 - Companies only letting you pay by automatic deduction
20 - Poor service from airlines
21 - Shrunken products
22 - Traffic jams
23 - Very slow drivers
24 - Purchase thwarted by sorry, out of stock
25 - Not getting a parking space
26 - Supermarket grocery prices
27 - Forgetting passwords/PINs
28 - Parking fines
29 - Crying babies on planes
30 - Programming new electronic products
31 - Loyalty cards
32 - Inaccurate weather forecasts.
I think it's human nature to complain. You'd hear many of those same complaints in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand