Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 PM

58 posts, read 99,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
tagging is ****. unimaginative and just vandalising other peoples property.

However, I love Centre Place, Hosier Lane etc in Melbourne where there are street art on display...

Regrding the coffee talk... I pay $3.00 for regular, $3.50 for large/ double shot coffee in Sydney... $4 is quite high.
Yeah Hosier Lane is pretty cool. I like that folks from all around the world can come and leave a 'piece' of themselves there. Canada Lane is cool too.
http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/Fawn_Knutsen/grafitti.jpg (broken link)

Think coffee prices are about the same in Melbourne Town as Syd. I can get a regular at a local cafe here for $2.50 but then it's the outer suburbs. In city or more boutique places, you'd be looking at around $3 to $3.50 for a regular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post
I'm with you on the tagging and vandalism Vichel. Artistic graffiti/stencil art I like as long as it's in the designated place. It adds to the character of Melbourne and I like that street artists are encouraged and given their own spaces to be creative. But the tagging stuff.. That's just senseless vandalism.
I agree, the urban art in designated areas, done with permission is fine and does add to the character. They're like murals. But the other ****, just plain old vandalism. Bunch of scrawls, about as creative and imaginative as smearing their own feces on the property. Or like dogs pi**ing on things, to mark their territory. Dogs were first at doing that, so what do these creeps think they're all about basically doing the same thing? It's just to annoy people, they get off on causing other people hardship and expense. And that's what bugs me about such things - it's what's behind the intent. Just pure hatefulness. To get joy out of doing that is sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
It would be much the same Coldy, a little cheaper perhaps but still the same outrageous prices
Yes, wouldn't be surprised if it was up there in price. Some "barrista" would have to be highly trained to pour hot water into a little pot and put a tea bag on the saucer for you, you know.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:01 PM

497 posts, read 983,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That would amuse me.
Funny how it sounds like the entire city acclimates that way.

Some years the bulk of our summer days (50+ days?) every arvo your skin stays sticky/sweaty, even though most people seldom feel "overheated."
It just generally accepted that some degree of stickiness usually comes with warmth.

I've also seen weather stats on what is probably considered unusually humid in a Melbourne summer,
and most of the time that's fairly normal summer conditions here; I would probably welcome that familiarity.
"Bad humidity" here can be vicious/ridiculous (Ex: sticky before sunrise, beyond-sticky from 9 am-11pm ) and rivals Brisbane's or Darwin's worst.
It's really not that bad, but the rarity of bad day makes it hard to get used to it. The inland areas can get sticky on occasions in the periods between hot temps and storms, but it does lower the temps for the following days and bring rain, which is appreciated.

The prevalence of evaporative cooling in lieu of air conditioning in many homes, schools, halls and some businesses doesn't help.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,261,120 times
What I have found purely from my own observations about life here in Sydney is that barristas are put onto a high pedestal.

You just hear lots of talk about their "favourite barrista" or how this one does a better brew than the other one etc etc. Seemingly endless discussions and analysis . And they seem to have high sex appeal as well.

Maybe my taste buds are not that well refined, but it sounds as though they are describing a fine wine or something.

A guy I work with refuses outright to drink coffee brewed from Asian barristas as he reckons the best barristas are Southern European .

Call me simplistic, but it is coffee for heavens sake. How difficult can it be and they bleat on about it like they are creating a complex potion not unlike the students in the Harry Potter movies in potions class...

Could just be my line of work, but I do wonder whether coffee snobbery inflates the cost of coffee somewhat. Either that or I have simplistic taste buds .

Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
What I have found purely from my own observations about life here in Sydney is that barristas are put onto a high pedestal.

You just hear lots of talk about their "favourite barrista" or how this one does a better brew than the other one etc etc. Seemingly endless discussions and analysis . And they seem to have high sex appeal as well.

Maybe my taste buds are not that well refined, but it sounds as though they are describing a fine wine or something.

A guy I work with refuses outright to drink coffee brewed from Asian barristas as he reckons the best barristas are Southern European .

Call me simplistic, but it is coffee for heavens sake. How difficult can it be and they bleat on about it like they are creating a complex potion not unlike the students in the Harry Potter movies in potions class...

Could just be my line of work, but I do wonder whether coffee snobbery inflates the cost of coffee somewhat. Either that or I have simplistic taste buds .
I'm a bit of a coffee snob.

There is good coffee, okay coffee, and baaad coffee. FWIW - Gloria Jeans = very average, Starbucks ..... I'll have a tea.

I check out what type of beans the place uses as well.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:32 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Regrding the coffee talk... I pay $3.00 for regular, $3.50 for large/ double shot coffee in Sydney... $4 is quite high.
Tim Hortons probably has Oz beat:

Regular? 280 mL? Something like $1.45
Large? 350 mL? $1.65?
X-Large? 450 mL? $1.85

Not that I'm much of a coffee drinker,
but I'm used to "good coffee" being one of the cheapest drinks sold.

*Aussie dollar is almost at-par with Canadian dollar lately btw.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Quote:

*Aussie dollar is almost at-par with Canadian dollar lately btw.
Achieving parity with the Canadian Dollar is fine with me . But we'll really have something to whinge about, once the Aussie Dollar reaches parity with the US Dollar (it's not far off). The media is saying that it's all good, but our dollar shouldn't be soaring like it is!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Achieving parity with the Canadian Dollar is fine with me . But we'll really have something to whinge about, once the Aussie Dollar reaches parity with the US Dollar (it's not far off). The media is saying that it's all good, but our dollar shouldn't be soaring like it is!
Except that your coffee prices relative to ours are a rip-off, even in Melbourne.

Tim Hortons coffee in AUD$...Wow, the AUD is startling high! $1.00593 AUD buys $1.00 CDN.
Tim Hortons X-Large coffee = $1.86 AUD?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:09 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,285 times
Quote:
Except that your coffee prices relative to ours are a rip-off, even in Melbourne.

Tim Hortons coffee in AUD$...Wow, the AUD is startling high! $1.00593 AUD buys $1.00 CDN.
Tim Hortons X-Large coffee = $1.86 AUD?
"$1.00593 AUD buys $1.00 CDN". Didn't realise it was that?

Our dollar is climbing and inflating the price of everything, even our morning coffee. Brings a new meaning to the term "counting the beans".

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 10-11-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-11-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
"$1.00593 AUD buys $1.00 CDN". Didn't realise it was that?

Our dollar is climbing and inflating the price of everything, even our morning coffee. Brings a new meaning to the term "counting the beans".
Here's where I checked it:
http://www.x-rates.com/d/AUD/table.html

Terrible.
When Canada's dollar goes up vs. USA's, the price of most goods drop.

I wonder why Oz is getting it backwards,
or maybe the value of your dollar isn't directly impacting cost of goods.
(and coincidentally changing at the same time as inflation, but not causing it)

Back in Feb 2009 and your dollar was worth $0.62 CDN,
prices for many goods and services were roughly equal to goods and services in Canada, factoring in exchange rates and our higher sales tax.
Ex: A steak dinner might have been $40-45 AUD, which was the same as paying $25-30 CDN for steak dinner.

However price for regular gasoline has gone from $0.69/Litre to consistantly $1.01-1.08/Litre from Feb 2009 to Sep 2010, so up 56% here.
Seems Australia's petrol prices haven't change much in the same period.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-11-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand