Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Aha - I like a challenge. My coffee dollops are slowly becoming recognisable (think puffy clouds)....Does add some flavour to the morning routine .

If chocolate becomes the new culinary analytical currency, then I'm happy to do some testing / analysis
haha I dont have time to make my own in the morning. I am a sucker and spend $3.00 every morning.

I can do a mental walking chocolate tour of both Melbourne & Sydney

You wait until Koko Black opens in Sydney .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
So International Roast, isn't international??

Nescafe & international roast - are quite popular for instant coffee.

Yes, each coffee is made per individual order, so if you walk up to a espresso bar / cafe you state your order "strong skim cap" (strong = double shot of coffee) and voila! in about 2 minutes your coffee is ready.
Never heard of "International Roast."

I can't compare; instant coffee isn't popular here.
However what we call "regular coffee" isn't much slower to make than instant coffee.

What I meant was for personal use (home? work?) do Aussies make a single cup of every hot drink, every time?
That would be very laid back.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Never heard of "International Roast."

I can't compare; instant coffee isn't popular here.
However what we call "regular coffee" isn't much slower to make than instant coffee.

What I meant was for personal use (home? work?) do Aussies make a single cup of every hot drink, every time?
That would be very laid back.
Pretty much -

We don't "brew" a jug (?) of coffee. We would boil the kettle, add the instant coffee, sugar, milk & stir. Or use a tea bag.

Some people still have a pot of tea etc.. but it's not that common.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Pretty much -

We don't "brew" a jug (?) of coffee. We would boil the kettle, add the instant coffee, sugar, milk & stir. Or use a tea bag.

Some people still have a pot of tea etc.. but it's not that common.
Doesn't anyone fill a thermos with hot tea or hot coffee to take to work?

Coffee machines normally measure number of "cups", but this is like a cereal box serving size recommendation.
A typical full pot might be 8 cups, which probably equates to 500-750 mL of straight black coffee.
Most people I know add milk or cream and some sugar, so it stretches out a little further than that.
A full pot is probably enough coffee for 3-4 regular coffee-drinkers or 2 coffee-lovers,
perhaps enough for 6 people if your all drinking from small cups, like a tea-party only using coffee.

Or do Aussies always have the time to boil the billy?
If so, I can understand why Aussies aren't known to be "as efficient." (hey, I'd love that excuse )

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Doesn't anyone fill a thermos with hot tea or hot coffee to take to work?
no, this is not common - the tradies that I know do that, but that's about it.... its not uncommon to see every second person in the city clutching a paper cup of coffee on their way to work
Quote:
Coffee machines normally measure number of "cups", but this is like a cereal box serving size recommendation.
A typical full pot might be 8 cups, which probably equates to 500-750 mL of straight black coffee.
Most people I know add milk or cream and some sugar, so it stretches out a little further than that.
A full pot is probably enough coffee for 3-4 regular coffee-drinkers or 2 coffee-lovers,
perhaps enough for 6 people if your all drinking from small cups, like a tea-party only using coffee.

Or do Aussies always have the time to boil the billy?
If so, I can understand why Aussies aren't known to be "as efficient." (hey, I'd love that excuse )
I've never understood the idea of adding cream to coffee... ick.

Well a kettle will boil about the same amount - 1ltr (I think), but it cools down after a while.

At work we have boiling water on tap, (from the sink, as well as chilled, filtered water- no 'water cooler" so to speak).

But generally, we boil the billy () for each cup.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 PM

58 posts, read 99,069 times
Quote:
So International Roast, isn't international??

Nescafe & international roast - are quite popular for instant coffee.
International Roast, shudder

Old 10-13-2010, 06:39 PM

58 posts, read 99,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Achieving parity with the Canadian Dollar is fine with me . But we'll really have something to whinge about, once the Aussie Dollar reaches parity with the US Dollar (it's not far off). The media is saying that it's all good, but our dollar shouldn't be soaring like it is!
Isn't the high AUD also a sign that the US economy isn't doing so well?

Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
no, this is not common - the tradies that I know do that, but that's about it.... its not uncommon to see every second person in the city clutching a paper cup of coffee on their way to work
That is generally true here in Canada.
People in office jobs usually can't be bothered to bring a thermos.
Kids often had thermoses, (at least when I was a kid) but not neccessarily for coffee or tea.

I'm very glad to know that thermoses exist in Oz, btw.

Quote:
I've never understood the idea of adding cream to coffee... ick.

Well a kettle will boil about the same amount - 1ltr (I think), but it cools down after a while.

At work we have boiling water on tap, (from the sink, as well as chilled, filtered water- no 'water cooler" so to speak).

But generally, we boil the billy () for each cup.
Well most people do not put "whole" cream in,
so in Canada they make "half-and-half" which is half the fat of cream.
I prefer milk with my coffee, and lots of it; nearly half-filled with milk please.

In that case, I might whistle "Waltzing Matilda" when people brew their single cups of coffee.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrmaVep View Post
Isn't the high AUD also a sign that the US economy isn't doing so well?

Yup. Our dollar is only doing well, cause of the demand for resources from China and a weakening US dollar. It's still not a good thing for our dollar though.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Yup. Our dollar is only doing well, cause of the demand for resources from China and a weakening US dollar. It's still not a good thing for our dollar though.
Yep, how the media blows this up as being a good thing for Australia is just crazy Kangaroofarmer. They seem to have little under standing of Modern economics

A high dollar is very bad news for just about every industry in Australia because its just so hard to export your goods if the prices are so high
There's a good reason why Asian economies go out of the their way to try and artificially fix their currencies to be low. It good for their exports
The only good thing for Aussies really is its cheaper to travel, which is what we don't want because we only want Aussies to spend money at home
Another bad thing it makes foreign goods much cheaper against Aussie produce so again bad for the economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand