Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I saw some enormous pumpkins (not pre-carved) for sale in Woolies (far north coast NSW) a week or so ago... they wanted $23 each for them!

No-one knocked on my door, although there are a few kids in my street. I'm glad, because I didn't have any treats ready and didn't want to have to share my family-sized Cadbury's chocolate bar.
Yum. I miss Cadburys Fruit and Nuts. The Cadburys we have that are made in the states are not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always associate Halloween with falling leaves and autumn/Fall, so it wouldn't be the same here anyway if it's in the middle of Spring!
Yeah, that would be strange. Where are you going to get a pumpkin in Spring? And part of the fun of Halloween is the falling leaves, chilly breezes, and early darkness.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I always associate Halloween with falling leaves and autumn/Fall, so it wouldn't be the same here anyway if it's in the middle of Spring!
Wouldn't be the same?
I associate trick-or-treating on Halloween with freezing my arse off!

Toronto's average daytime high for Halloween is 10 C,
and typical trick-or-treat temps between +1 C to +7 C; hopefully it's calm, some years it is.

Once in a blue moon we'll be treated to 10-15 C for trick-or-treating on a very mild, cloudy night.

But we can also EASILY be as low as -3 C by 9 pm.

Some years it was 0 C at sunset, slow cooling overnight with wet snow falling sideways in a brisk wind.

Windchills of -10 C are a definite possibility at 8pm, Oct 31st.
(and this isn't even considered winter yet! )

Old 11-07-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Where are you going to get a pumpkin in Spring?

And part of the fun of Halloween is the falling leaves, chilly breezes, and early darkness.
Pumpkins are gourds and most or all of them are tropical.
Perhaps it's easy to grow one in a frost-free winter.

Chilly breezes is part of the fun? You're speaking Greek to me.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
Same here, this week they're throwing em out at $5. Can't help but wonder who in their right mind would pay 23 dollars for em ...how much profit did woolies make??? Seems there's one behind every tree .

Bring back Guy Fawkes so I can blow up some more letterboxes ...5th of November, a day to remember, gunpowder treason and plot...Hmmmm, come to think of it, we could do with some of that now I reckon.
That was the best, as kids we used to dress up in old clothes and black our faces and go Guy Fawking knock at doors and hope someone put some money in our tin that we rattled at them, once i knocked at a door and the man said f...off you little b......d hence no more guy fawking, but the fireworks were good.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:31 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yum. I miss Cadburys Fruit and Nuts. The Cadburys we have that are made in the states are not the same.
Not sure where you are but you can get English cadburys which is the same as Australian/New Zealand rather than the Hersheys crap they pass off as cadburys from Morton Williams. Costs and arm but then compared to getting it from Oz one does save a leg.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Pumpkins are gourds and most or all of them are tropical.
Perhaps it's easy to grow one in a frost-free winter.

Chilly breezes is part of the fun? You're speaking Greek to me.
I don't know... I lived in Los Angeles for years and even there, if you grew pumpkins, you planted in Spring and harvested in Fall. I don't think they'd get enough sunlight to grow much in Winter, even an L.A. Winter.

You're a Cold Canadian and don't like chilly breezes?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't know... I lived in Los Angeles for years and even there, if you grew pumpkins, you planted in Spring and harvested in Fall. I don't think they'd get enough sunlight to grow much in Winter, even an L.A. Winter.

You're a Cold Canadian and don't like chilly breezes?
L.A. is about 34 degrees N; about the same as Australia's southernmost cities.
Plenty of northern areas grow crops in winter, (for Australia-wide consumption?) so I don't think sunlight would be an issue.
Major regional centres like Townsville QLD for example are as close to the equator as Jamaica or San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Darwin is about as close as to the equator as northern Venezuela or southern Nicaragua.

You have no idea.
Easiest to say I'm at my happiest when Toronto experiences record warmth/heat in any month.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Halloween

Experiencing Halloween in Australia, in spring, would be odd. From a North American perspective, that is. Here, particularly if a bit farther north, it is so closely associated with the changing of the seasons. Leafs from aspens and other deciduous trees are turning color, or already dropped in swirling random patterns across the cold ground. If winter is still officially more than a month distant, in the mountains and similar locals the date more usually marks the reliable return of briskly cold temperatures, and often snow. Summer most definitely over, fall well advanced.

As young children Halloween was a VERY big deal for us. We hadn't a clue to its original significance, as very few do, but at earliest reckoning a grand and tempting adventure. Something in our community that was accepted as a matter of course, and surely is across the breadth of America and beyond. A wonderful chance to play make up and believe for real, or at least in a quite public theatre. Moreover often joined by many adults as festive with the spirit, in costume as well. Many more who refrained from that, but more than happy to welcome we trick or treaters with open doors, smiles, and lots of candy. Ah, the candy, so much of it. All the more a treat if one's parents were otherwise somewhat strict, but in this instance happy to let one quickly overindulge, surprisingly too soon sick of all the sweet.

We made our own costumes, in creativity discovering an old sheet made a more than acceptable ghost. The exactness didn't matter near as much as the fun and anticipation. Even then one could buy full costumes in the stores, increasingly so as it became more the norm. It has all become ever more commercialized, with children out and about perhaps not with the freedom we once had. I was surprised this year in a friend telling me of her shopping excursion on Halloween day, that all the many Halloween decorations and other accouterments long out had already been replaced by items for Christmas. Sacrilegious!

But as much as it has changed, still also the same. One can ignore all the merchants if they wish, but they helpful if one wishing this or that. We've been out in the farmer's field to select pumpkins. We still carved pumpkins by hand, although using commercial stencils as guides unknown as children, with all the more ease and good result. They looked suitably eery that night with candles flickering within. Intermixed with other suitably ghoulish decorations, spider webs, skulls, dark flickering lights. All the many things one may imagine in death and decay.

For with autumn leaves under foot, a sharp tang in the crisp air, interspersed often with soft or pungent smells of the season, of mould in meadow or trimmed suburban grass, warm and tempting smells perhaps from the kitchen. On this occasion so few know the heritage of, virtually all nevertheless intrinsically understand deep within themselves in places beyond words what is transpiring. Of death and rebirth, how fleeting we transient beings are. In celebration of it, reveling in the dark and frightening, with life that much brighter, and home warmer, in contrast.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
I guess I come from a different perspective from those posting here. I wonder why Halloween hasn't long been a bigger deal in Australia, NZ, England and Ireland since the day has roots in Celtic paganism and was brought over by English and Irish immigrants to the US. Why did it not remain popular in Britain or spring up in Oz/NZ because of those countries' Anglo-Irish roots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand