Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:40 PM

271 posts, read 1,667,768 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to Sydney this December for the U2 concerts at ANZ Stadium. Even though I'm on a tight budget, I want to stay at a hotel that is as close as possible to the Olympic Park. However, all the hotels within the Olympic Park are charging me over $300 AUD per night.

The only affordable hotel that could find is the Hotel Concord, located on the corner of Queen St and Victoria St in Concord West. This hotel is charging me only $60 AUD per night.

Is Concord West a safe area?

Would it be possible for me to walk from Concord West to ANZ Stadium before the concert? Would I be able to walk from ANZ Stadium to Concord West at night after the concert? Could I cut through Bicentennial Park to cut down on the distance?

Would you Sydney folks advise this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 04:26 PM

27 posts, read 71,170 times
I've been around the Concord West area for several years and can say it is a very safe, middle class family area so it's perfectly safe to walk around at all times of the night. $60 vs $300 does make a lot of sense - I would do exactly the same in your shoes. The walk is probably around 30 minutes. Mind you, if you drove, it would probably take the same time as everyone would be trying to leave the concert at the same time.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Train services to Olympic Park via Lidcombe run a few times a day, and for such an event I'm sure they'd run train services from the city, so it's not really necessary to stay near the Olympic Park. The train from the city to Lidcombe takes about 30 minutes, while the interchange to Olympic Park station is about 10 minutes if I remember. ANZ stadium is near the station.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:13 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
I'm traveling to Sydney this December for the U2 concerts at ANZ Stadium. Even though I'm on a tight budget, I want to stay at a hotel that is as close as possible to the Olympic Park. However, all the hotels within the Olympic Park are charging me over $300 AUD per night.

The only affordable hotel that could find is the Hotel Concord, located on the corner of Queen St and Victoria St in Concord West. This hotel is charging me only $60 AUD per night.

Is Concord West a safe area?

Would it be possible for me to walk from Concord West to ANZ Stadium before the concert? Would I be able to walk from ANZ Stadium to Concord West at night after the concert? Could I cut through Bicentennial Park to cut down on the distance?

Would you Sydney folks advise this?
There are many more nicer places to stay (not that Concord West is not nice) that will allow you to take in other sights and sounds of Sydney and still get you to the U2 concert. Along with the trains there are also special event buses that will get you to Olympic Park. If you're budgeting around the $60 mark there are plenty of pub hotels in the city for that price or out in Manly or the Coogee.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
There are many more nicer places to stay (not that Concord West is not nice) that will allow you to take in other sights and sounds of Sydney and still get you to the U2 concert. Along with the trains there are also special event buses that will get you to Olympic Park. If you're budgeting around the $60 mark there are plenty of pub hotels in the city for that price or out in Manly or the Coogee.
I'd recommend one of the 'luxury' backpackers in Sydney, the YHA Central or the Rock is pretty good, and there's one next to the YHA which is really good. It's about $35 for a four share dorm, but they're really clean and they've got everything you need including a movie theatre! Not that I work for YHA, lol, but I stayed there and found it really good.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 PM

Hey everyone. I had a major change in my travel plans. My reservation at that hotel in Concord West did not work out for some reason. So I'm going to stay at the Marque Sydney Hotel in the CBD on the corner of George and Quay Streets across from Central Station.

I have a couple of questions regarding the railway system.

On non-event days, if I want to travel from Central Station to the Olympic Park, would I need to buy a transfer ticket at the Lidcombe station? Or could I buy just one ticket at Central and just change trains at Lidcombe?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone. I had a major change in my travel plans. My reservation at that hotel in Concord West did not work out for some reason. So I'm going to stay at the Marque Sydney Hotel in the CBD on the corner of George and Quay Streets across from Central Station.

I have a couple of questions regarding the railway system.

On non-event days, if I want to travel from Central Station to the Olympic Park, would I need to buy a transfer ticket at the Lidcombe station? Or could I buy just one ticket at Central and just change trains at Lidcombe?
You just buy a ticket for whatever zone Olympic Park is in, whether 2 hours, daily etc.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 AM

Why not buy a MyMulti ticket which allows for unlimited travel within certain zones.

Have a look at the cityrail website - Welcome to CityRail

It works a bit like the MUNI tickets in SF.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Why not buy a MyMulti ticket which allows for unlimited travel within certain zones.

Have a look at the cityrail website - Welcome to CityRail
I was about to mention that. I'm thinking about getting a MyMulti2 Pass that covers the entire Sydney area from the Olympic Park to Bondi Beach.

I've never used a mass transit pass before. Do I just keep re-using it at the turnstiles?

And could I get a MyMulti ticket from the vending machines? It seems like the only actual ticket offices are inside Central Station.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I was about to mention that. I'm thinking about getting a MyMulti2 Pass that covers the entire Sydney area from the Olympic Park to Bondi Beach.

I've never used a mass transit pass before. Do I just keep re-using it at the turnstiles?

And could I get a MyMulti ticket from the vending machines? It seems like the only actual ticket offices are inside Central Station.
They actually have ticket offices at all train stations. Its really like a ticket window at any train station. I myself have never had to buy a MyMulti ticket but you can buy regular tickets and I presume any MyMulti ticket at any ticket window.

The ticket is a bit like the New York Metrocard. You put the ticket into the turnstile, you walk through and pull out the ticket from the top of the turnstile. On a bus you dip the ticket into the green machine, it validates and then spits it back out and you take the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand