Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:52 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times

Advertisements

Its a shame as Aussies use to have such a great rep internationally -- It use to be soooo expensive to get out of here that those who did were genuinely interested in the rest of the world

Now these young uns think its just a right of passage etc.

Really, we're not all boorish and like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM

58 posts, read 99,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

You've heard of the Ugly American Tourist? Well, we've got our own version. Maybe even uglier. Especially when pickled.
And the Ugly Australian Tourist wears an Akubra hat

Old 12-16-2010, 06:19 PM

58 posts, read 99,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

I mean not to boast too much (and I'm not that type) but America was a rich and bountiful enough land mass to enable the country to grow to 300M people while Oz has huze swaths of desert and at the most could barely support 60M people, if that. That's amazing to think about when you look at the size of Oz in land area. And you're right about the mountains, Oz is the flattest continent on the planet.
Well that's where the whole subjectivity thing comes into play, you think a country of 300 mil is a good thing, whereas I think it's a bad thing lol.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:48 PM

497 posts, read 982,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I love Oz but there are tons of things we lack. Like proper mountains.
There's some decent ones in the eastern states, but more would be good.

Quote:
I mean not to boast too much (and I'm not that type) but America was a rich and bountiful enough land mass to enable the country to grow to 300M people while Oz has huze swaths of desert and at the most could barely support 60M people, if that. That's amazing to think about when you look at the size of Oz in land area.
I reckon it could carry more than 60m. Northern Australia is well watered, there's just no attempt to populate there.

According to Bob Katter, a federal politician, North Queensland alone could support 60m people.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
There's some decent ones in the eastern states, but more would be good.

I reckon it could carry more than 60m. Northern Australia is well watered, there's just no attempt to populate there.

According to Bob Katter, a federal politician, North Queensland alone could support 60m people.

Well, I didn't really mean to get into a debate about how many people Aus could support. I was trying to relate how when people from Aus visit other countries and then proceed to constantly compare and rate Aus as better, how rather insecure it makes them seem. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Me personally, when hearing someone brag about the place they come from, sense a sort of lack of confidence in what they're saying. Like you constantly have to remind yourself something is wonderful. Don't you agree?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Its a shame as Aussies use to have such a great rep internationally -- It use to be soooo expensive to get out of here that those who did were genuinely interested in the rest of the world

Now these young uns think its just a right of passage etc.

Really, we're not all boorish and like that.
Trust me they still are a blast to be around. And it's def not every Aussie.
With my Aus friends here, we gotten past that whole thing about the Lucky Country and all. When we get together it's a lot of pi** taking and carrying on. But when push comes to shove, they will always be there for you.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Well, I didn't really mean to get into a debate about how many people Aus could support. I was trying to relate how when people from Aus visit other countries and then proceed to constantly compare and rate Aus as better, how rather insecure it makes them seem. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Me personally, when hearing someone brag about the place they come from, sense a sort of lack of confidence in what they're saying. Like you constantly have to remind yourself something is wonderful. Don't you agree?
I'm not sure it's about insecurities, but it sure does make them annoying. I agree with you guys, I just wanted to interject on those two points.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
I'm not sure it's about insecurities, but it sure does make them annoying. I agree with you guys, I just wanted to interject on those two points.

Well, if it's not about insecurities, then I just about guess Aus is paradise on earth and no other country can touch it in beauty, culture, etc. etc. Cause why else would they go on then about how great it is.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Well, if it's not about insecurities, then I just about guess Aus is paradise on earth and no other country can touch it in beauty, culture, etc. etc. Cause why else would they go on then about how great it is.
They're just being obnoxious.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:47 AM

126 posts, read 210,451 times
Default A Canadian-Australian-American Hybrid Writes

A Canadian-Australian-American Hybrid Writes...in response to this question. I grew up in Ontario and moved to Australia at the age of 27 and still live Downunder at the age of 67. You will find some observations below-Ron Price, George Town, Tasmania
-------------------------------
Margaret Atwood, Canada's major writer as the millennium turned, sees the Canadian character as one with a gloomy-through-catastrophic strain. This interpretation of the character is reflected in Canada's literature and especially in the writing of Margaret Atwood.
-------------------------
Pioneers in Canada for several hundred years before the word "pioneers" was first used in the electronic media in the 1920s and 1930s, were swallowed up by the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the great Canadian wilderness, the frozen Arctic tracts and the USA. In Australia there was a similar swallowing up process by means of: the hot desert centre, the vast interior spaces, the surrounding oceans and seas. The most ‘significant other’ in both these countries where my life has been swallowed up, in a different sense, is the landscape. Visual representations not language seems to be the most common window of understanding in the consciousness of these two national groups.
-------------------------
All of this is, of course, pure speculation. There are so many parallels between Canada and Australia that I can make in relation to both countries. The white populations in both countries tend to congregate in a very few, relatively sizeable centres. Boundaries and frontiers in the USA serve as limitations to be transcended or denied. In Canada and Australia they are seen as dangerous places to be negotiated. The relationship between these general psycho-geographical characteristics and my pioneering life will be elaborated on, unfolded, in the nearly 2500 pages which is my autobiography. What will also unfold, at least it is my hope, is what American novelist Normal Mailer said is the purpose of art, an intensification, an exacerbation, of "the moral consciousness of people."

Some writers go so far as to say they are their country. The Irish writer Seán O'Faoláin made this declaration in commenting on his autobiography. Ireland was the central metaphor of his self. This may be even more true for those living on islands; the concept 'island' implies a particular and intense relationship of land and water. Allegorical and structural associations of island characters become used for the reconstruction of people’s personal history and identity. The Irish professor in Aidan Higgins's novel Lions of the Grunewald suggests, “the smaller the island the bigger the neurosis.” If this has some truth, I may be protected from such a fate since I have lived on only two islands, Baffin Island and Tasmania. Others emphasize the highly ambivalent relationships between people and their island homes. My island homes are large ones and my stay, thusfar, has been for short periods of my life, ten years in total, unless of course one counts Australia itself as an island. Structurally and thematically speaking, the motifs of 'leaving the island' and/or 'returning to the island' seem to make for key scenes in a wide range of autobiographies by islanders. There are the emotionally charged events. This was not true for me given the short periods of residence thusfar on the island of Tasmania.
-----------------------
I'll close this post with some thoughts from Gore Vidal. I have placed these thoughts in the form of a prose-poem.-Ron
--------------------------------------
LAUGHING GAS

While I was teaching at the Tasmanian College of Advanced Education in 1974 and at Box Hill Tafe College in Melbourne in 1975, the film Monte Python and the Holy Grail was produced and then released in London. I won't summarize the film's story here because readers can find the story in many places. But this classic satire of King Arthur and his knights has been part of the core of comedy's world in western society now for more than a quarter of a century. This send-up of a legend, of courtly love, fidelity and bravery, among other things, symbolized, for me, my getting of humour. I had grown up in a serious household of classical music and religion in Canada; I had studied serious subjects in university for four years; I had struggled through the first six years as a teacher, experienced several episodes of bi-polar disorder and lived through a divorce by 1975. These were all pretty heavy-duty items on life's agenda.

By 1975, though, I had had four years living in Australia where humour was a way of life with its slices of skepticism and cynicism, sarcasm and irony, self-mockery and pleasure seeking. During my decades in Australia humour became, as Thomas Mann experienced the process, insensibly and by immeasureable degrees, by subtle and incremental additions and alterations, part of my soul's salvation. Humour was, as Thomas Carlyle put it at the beginning of the Bahá’í Era in the 19th century, "a token of virtue." Self-mockery and humour's light touch became for me, what it was for millions of others, survival tools in a spiritually parched land.(1) -Ron Price with thanks to (1) Bahiyyih Nakhjavani, Four On An Island, George Ronald, Oxford, 1983, p.87.

They've been pumping laughing-gas
into lounge rooms now for over half
a century.(1) I remember I Love Lucy
back in the fifties: that was where it
began for me. It's not all bad, Gore.
It's got an important role in our great,
vast brontosaurissmus society, with its
slough of despond and the phantoms
of a wrongly informed imagination.

The laughs have lightened the load,
Gore. I was, like you, once critical
of the whole thing, but I've softened
with the years in this downunder land,
this world that is just not as serious as
Canada which once housed my impulse
to believe, nurtured my imperfections
and let them grow as insidious as a seed.

Laughter came out like a baby, pushed
out, giving birth, born of the pain of life
in a grand and periodic shake-up injecting
a high seriousness with laughing-gas.
Gore, it's not all that bad.

(1) A remark made by Gore Vidal in an interview in 2006.

Ron Price
21 November 2006
Updated for City-Data Forum
On: 19/12/'10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand