Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarctic climate View Post
OH MY GOD, what bloody drugs are you on? who do you reckon is paying for her rich fat ass and her posse to stay here?
Look at how many millions watch her show.
She is giving us free publicity, and has taken her entourage to regional centres as well as Sydney. (Including Hunter Valley wine tasting tours up this way).
As far as Kquatsi claiming that many Aussies are negative, this comes back to the good old Aussie "knocker syndrome", which is an extension of the "tall poppy syndrome".
Unfortunately, this is not a particularly redeeming feature of Australian culture.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:07 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Hmm could it be that the working class types bought to Aus from the USA are just so damn loud ?
I take it they were banned from the better areas of the shore, Mossman etc ?
That woman Palin has a top ranking TV show on being an expert with a rifle, should she be in Aus showing those diggers how it is done ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0Xx4DXkYk
This is a non-sequitur vis-a-vis the topic on hand. Can you be more succinct and rephrase?

And to educate you, Sarah's show had good ratings but only for the first episode... it hasn't fared so well afterwards.....
http://www.businessinsider.com/sarah...gs-low-2010-12

Old 12-11-2010, 06:26 PM

It looks like Oprah's trip will actually be a windfall for Oz if this article is true:
A night at Oprah | Adelaide Now

quote:
Tourism Australia estimated Winfrey's visit would have generated more than $17 million even before her arrival in Australia on Wednesday.
Tourism operators expect millions more to be generated by the trip, when Oprah's Australian shows are broadcast next month to more than 44 million viewers internationally.

A good $3 million dollar investment

Old 12-12-2010, 03:23 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
^ does that mean Opray > Tiger Woods?!

Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
^ does that mean Opray > Tiger Woods?!
True Oprah never lost here mojo while Tiger has never gained his back ever since putting his "blasian" where it did not belong!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:05 PM

112 posts, read 363,483 times
It cost Australia 43 million dollars for the failed world bid and we got nothing out of it (except for one lousy vote) Yet we spent 3 million dollars for Oprah to come to Australia which will generate millions if not billions of dollars more. It would have cost more to make and show an ad (like that stupid bingle one). Oprah is a positive and genuine person. Yeah Im a bit of a fan (esp that I am studying and working hard to move to the USA) I tried for tickets but didnt get one but thats ok. Oprah is someone who once had a hard life but chose the path that gave her success which she loves sharing with people. Consider this she was born in a time of segregation yet her like many people she overcame! Though it will be interesting to see how we are portrayed in the USA! It could be cringeworthy or it could be funny or a bit of both!!!!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:43 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coming2america View Post
...Oprah is a positive and genuine person ...
Which is probably why a lot of Aussies are disparaging her. As Derek mentioned, we prefer to knock down people. Not endearing at all. It's gone from cutting down the so-called "tall poppies" when they get up themselves (put on airs) to basic sneering and sniping at any success at all. Envy.

Here's Oprah, an American, doing a better job of selling our country to the world than we can. Yeah, it can be cringe-worthy to see all the focus on cuddly koalas, irritating slogans, and stereotypes, but hey, that's what appeals, so we need to get over it.

I appreciate people who build up others and try to do good, positive things, which she seems to do. Some of her shows bring out some celebrity and they have a chat, others deal with more serious issues like abuse, suicide, etc. If it helps some people deal with their problems because they felt they could do so because they saw it on Oprah, then good on her! We don't seem to have an equivalent to her on our television stations.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:34 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Like it or not, she's actually pumping millions of dollars into Australia's (mostly NSW) economy as opposed to the actual taxpayer's bill (like I really care knowing that the revenue generated by her covers far more than the TP's bill) by around four to 5 times more and yet it's not enough for some naysayers (or anti-Americans) - pfffttt

Like I said before (and I concur with Derek40), free publicty is better than having to pay. I mean there's that wasted $45m bid for the 2022 World Cup - something which I was not happy with knowing we were never going to win - and yet by "Qatar" winning, one could be forgiven for thinking "hell" had arrived broken out in this country

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Which is probably why a lot of Aussies are disparaging her. As Derek mentioned, we prefer to knock down people. Not endearing at all. It's gone from cutting down the so-called "tall poppies" when they get up themselves (put on airs) to basic sneering and sniping at any success at all. Envy.

Here's Oprah, an American, doing a better job of selling our country to the world than we can. Yeah, it can be cringe-worthy to see all the focus on cuddly koalas, irritating slogans, and stereotypes, but hey, that's what appeals, so we need to get over it.

I appreciate people who build up others and try to do good, positive things, which she seems to do. Some of her shows bring out some celebrity and they have a chat, others deal with more serious issues like abuse, suicide, etc. If it helps some people deal with their problems because they felt they could do so because they saw it on Oprah, then good on her! We don't seem to have an equivalent to her on our television stations.
Come off it, the average Aussie is no where near the feel good rubbish of that woman.
Aussies often have a dark sardonic sense of homour which people like her do not have the ability to understand, with their yah,yah rubbish.
A bit more dignity would go well.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:51 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Come off it, the average Aussie is no where near the feel good rubbish of that woman.
Aussies often have a dark sardonic sense of homour which people like her do not have the ability to understand, with their yah,yah rubbish.
A bit more dignity would go well.
Should your online Pseudonym be changed to "Anti-American" as this is a fair and accurate reflection of almost all of your posts?

Sadly I know too many of these types in NZ and Oz that pigeon hole all Americans into this stereotype. Whilst I do not always agree on their political stance, ideologies and views, they are some of the warmest and friendliest people I've met. Perhaps you need to spend some time over there and open your eyes a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand