Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:50 PM

25 posts, read 83,840 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been researching like crazy, but I would rather know more about New Zealand and specifically Tauranga/Bay of Plenty area. I really like a warmer climate that is listed there, and I am tired of the cold from living in NW United States.

I would like to teach Early Childhood Education and will be above a level 7 category (Master in ECE with BA in ECE).

Does anyone have advice/opinions on this situation? Are the people friendly? Is it safe to start a preschool someday? Would NZ citizens be open to having a person outside their culture do a preschool?

I am just trying to understand any cultural/country issues that someone like myself might occur within a new place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:03 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Well I live in Christchurch NZ but have been to Tauranga/Bay of Plenty. Nice climate but Tauranga is pretty small even by NZ standards which may be what your looking for. Keep in mind its fairly close to Auckland less two hours if your looking for a larger center to do day shops and night outs etc. People are friendly but do tend to be more Marori culture centric in the middle of the North island up to Auckland which is fine.

Cant see any problem with a foreigner opening a preschool. I work with a number of Aussies, Poms and Asians, personally would think nothing of it.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
There was a program a number of years ago that recruited american teachers to come work in NZ. Don't know if it is still available now, but it should be easy enough to find out.

I have known a few kiwi gals that were teachers. Classrooms sometimes can get a bit unruly as a lot of proper discipline is banned and things like the pay is pretty abysmal. It's something you definitely would be doing for the experience, not to make a decent living at.

I think probably the main thing is that culturally the country is a bit different, especially in a place like Tauranga, so before you start making big plans, I'd plan a month trip and spend some time in person and gather some info on daily realities.

Starting up a business like a preschool and moving to NZ will require some version of a business visa and that requires outside capital on your part along with various other requirements.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:14 AM

387 posts, read 871,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There was a program a number of years ago that recruited american teachers to come work in NZ. Don't know if it is still available now, but it should be easy enough to find out.

I have known a few kiwi gals that were teachers. Classrooms sometimes can get a bit unruly as a lot of proper discipline is banned and things like the pay is pretty abysmal. It's something you definitely would be doing for the experience, not to make a decent living at.

Er ... I think teachers might be better paid here than in the US. Though they don't receive a pension here which will need to be factored in.
I have two teacher friends in the US and I think their pay is pretty abysmal ....
I think they would be making $65,00 -70,000 here

Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Be warned, so called corporal punishment is seen as assault in New Zealand.
You would be arrested and charged for it.

Sadly we still have too many in NZ who believe it should be their utter right to assault their child or give a teacher permission to do the same.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:51 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
I am not a Kiwi, but from what I have read of climate averages, it is nothing to get excited about- if you think you are moving to a warmer climate.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Be warned, so called corporal punishment is seen as assault in New Zealand.
You would be arrested and charged for it.

Sadly we still have too many in NZ who believe it should be their utter right to assault their child or give a teacher permission to do the same.
What does corporal punishment have to do with this thread? Can you expound on this statement?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
The only issue or difference I can foresee is many preschools have Te Reo as an integral part of their curriculum, especially in the BOP area. Still, it's not really anything to worry about, just something to be aware of.

Here is a link;

http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/overseas-trained-teachers/employment/salaries (broken link)

Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 PM

25 posts, read 83,840 times
Eeek... coporal punishment? In my classroom they just loose play choices until they mend the situation!

Old 12-11-2010, 05:02 PM

62 posts, read 395,280 times
NZ is definitely not a significantly warmer climate compared to the Pacific NW, and you have to factor in uninsulated or poorly insulated houses with no central heating. Just food for thought.

Also, be prepared to pay more money for things than the average Kiwi. "Fleece the foreigner" is seen as almost a patriotic duty, and the feeling of constantly being ripped off is tiresome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand