U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities is your favorite?
Perth 12 27.27%
Brisbane 24 54.55%
Adelaide 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,860,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
But many Perthlings have a problem with people wanting to do things differently than its been done for the last 100 years. Not just restricted to the oldies either, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimac20
Perth is sunny, new, progressive in the development sense but parochial in mindset, Adelaide probably actually even more conservative, smaller, older feeling (despite Perth being older), feels a bit like the Australia of yesterday (think like 70s or 80s).
Both sound like they could be true...
but how could Adelaide feel "more conservative" than Perth?

I like how SA has DST; summer sunsets after 8 pm?
Apparently you can get perogies in Adelaide, but not in Perth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen
Adelaide is like a poor man's Perth in terms of its climate - not quite as sunny, colder and greyer in winter but then subject to very hot days and periods in summer.
If those exceptionally-hot spells could coincide with my days off, I might prefer Adelaide's hottest.
Seems Adelaide more consistantly sees morning-lows exceeding 19 C than does Perth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,134,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Mmmmm pierogies! There's another thread somewhere else on C-D talking about pierogies. Now I have this incredible craving for them and I don't believe you can buy them here! Remember Hunky Bills? Back in the non-PC days. I might just have to google a recipe and make them myself. It's like Mexican or Southwest food - have to make it myself.

No, we don't want or need DST. It makes the sun shine an extra hour doncha know? Very powerful stuff, that changin' clock business!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,918,809 times
Quote:

If those exceptionally-hot spells could coincide with my days off, I might prefer Adelaide's hottest.
Seems Adelaide more consistantly sees morning-lows exceeding 19 C than does Perth.
Why can't Adelaide be more conservative than Perth? I got that vibe from Adelaide, it's just feels a bit more old fashioned.

The sun already sets just after 8 pm here without DST. I honestly don't think we really need the extra hour. And you always have to adjust your sleeping habits etc for a few days or a week when they 'switch over.' For me it just feels the day goes by faster with DST...like the day is just beginning and it's already 12 noon. Besides, some folk like their early morning jog/swim whatever.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,860,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why can't Adelaide be more conservative than Perth? I got that vibe from Adelaide, it's just feels a bit more old fashioned.

The sun already sets just after 8 pm here without DST. I honestly don't think we really need the extra hour. And you always have to adjust your sleeping habits etc for a few days or a week when they 'switch over.' For me it just feels the day goes by faster with DST...like the day is just beginning and it's already 12 noon.

Besides, some folk like their early morning jog/swim whatever.
So Adelaide is progressive and old-fashioned, but Perth is neither?

I'm not talking about when the sky finally goes black,
but when you still feel the warmth of the sun on your face and have ample lighting for any outdoor pursuit.

That seems to be a strong arguement against DST for these "some folk."
I'm sure Vichel would love to meet these elusive residents.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,134,956 times
Quote:

but when you still feel the warmth of the sun on your face and have ample lighting for any outdoor pursuit.

There's a handful of them. Old crinklies & codgers down at Cottesloe Beach

Have to admit, I'm not a morning person. Having the blaring sun sear your eyeballs at 5am is most unpleasant.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:

In Melbourne in summer it only goes completely black at about 10pm, lol. Cool in a way but also a bit ridiculous.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,419,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sick of Perth constantly boasting about it's beaches, because that's about all we really have . Yes, they're nice, but they're no better than the beaches in most of the other capitals, with a few obvious exceptions.

I think they're three very different cities with different characters. Perth is sunny, new, progressive in the development sense but parochial in mindset, Adelaide probably actually even more conservative, smaller, older feeling (despite Perth being older), feels a bit like the Australia of yesterday (think like 70s or 80s). Brisbane feels more tropical, less English than the other two, also alot of development, closer to the tourist hubs of Queensland but not until recently much of a tourist draw.
Good points.
Perth is the only one with proper surfing beaches, ie "waves", on its coastline.
Adelaide is a long way from any surfing beaches, Brisbane not quite as far - but not at your doorstep.
Climate-wise Perth is the best.
Adelaide has extremes of heat- as well as miserably cold winters even compared with NSW. Brisbane has several months of summer, a fair proportion of that unbearable.
It's a fairly easy choice for me.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Good points.
Perth is the only one with proper surfing beaches, ie "waves", on its coastline.
Adelaide is a long way from any surfing beaches, Brisbane not quite as far - but not at your doorstep.
Climate-wise Perth is the best.
Adelaide has extremes of heat- as well as miserably cold winters even compared with NSW. Brisbane has several months of summer, a fair proportion of that unbearable.
It's a fairly easy choice for me.
Best for some people. For me Sydney beats Perth, because summer isn't as hot, winter is sunnier and I love thunderstorms and heavy rain now and again. Sydney has plenty of beaches that are good for surfing, the northern beaches are far more scenic than Perth's beaches too.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 AM

316 posts, read 479,574 times
Perth beaches are way overrated

Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM

17 posts, read 54,222 times
Perth - Most backward city in Australia (yes, even Tasmania is more in touch with the Eastern cities). Nice if you like the beach. Some cool suburbs, but full of bogans. Has a country feel. People are lovely. I'm a Sydney/Melbourne woman, in Perth currently and a stranger instructed me to take of my earphones (wtf?) and asked me where I was from. I asked if it were that obvious, apparently so. This evening I went running and at the lights I stopped and an old man on a bike gestured to me to take off my earphones. I did. He told me I was tensing up my left arm when I ran. This would never happen in any other city in Australia...

Adelaide - Not much to do there, but would be nice if you were 30+. Lots of fine dining options and great wine regions surrounding there. Has a thriving arts scene with lots of design professionals living there. Quite a small city, but cosmopolitan.

Brisbane - Although I don't like it that much (too warm), the "coolest" of the 3. Is like a smaller version of Melbourne. Very urban, lots of young people. Great restaurants, hotels, bars, clubs, shopping. Weather is warm, short time to the glittery Gold Coast. Actually has a vibe to it where as the other cities don't. Short flight time to Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand