U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which of these three cities is your favorite?
Perth 12 27.27%
Brisbane 24 54.55%
Adelaide 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 AM
 
9,336 posts, read 20,577,748 times
Reputation: 4533

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Wanted to take a poll thread and share some thoughts on Australia's second tier cities; Perth, Brisbane, and Adelaide. There is endless discussion on Sydney and Melbourne and not a lot on Perth, Brisbane, and Adelaide. Which city do you prefer and what do you like about it? What do you like or dislike about the others? Heck throw in your two cents on Darwin and Hobart if you'd like as well.
did you not see the other poll on the same 3 cities?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,932 times
Reputation: 13
Brisbane
Perth
Adelaide
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 AM
 
Location: Eastern Sydney, Australia
2,400 posts, read 3,009,361 times
Reputation: 1573
Brisbane - no decent beaches have to go well either north or south. Usually too hot, sunny and humid but my recent visit there proved to be, thankfully, the opposite . Exactly the city to be walking about in almost permanent summer attire though. Winter's very nice - dry and sunny with no humidity but can get cold at nights especially after a cold W-SW outbreak.

Adelaide - lovely city, very old fashioned, laid back and quiet, almost like England, lots of trees. Not a nice place in the summer though -very hot and dry. Winter's nice with the rain/showery/frequent changeable weather. Cheapest out of all three to buy a home as well as cost of living.

Perth - too isolated and its ever increasing shrinkage of rainfall/increasing sunshine puts me even further off. Most expensive place to buy a home now, even elbowing Sydney off the most “expensive” radar. Expensive too where cost of living is concerned.

Down to the final - either Adelaide or Brisbane. Perth gets a big cross off - my list that is - sorry Perth folks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,867,489 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Brisbane - no decent beaches have to go well either north or south. Usually too hot, sunny and humid but my recent visit there proved to be, thankfully, the opposite . Exactly the city to be walking about in almost permanent summer attire though. Winter's very nice - dry and sunny with no humidity but can get cold at nights especially after a cold W-SW outbreak.

Adelaide - lovely city, very old fashioned, laid back and quiet, almost like England, lots of trees. Not a nice place in the summer though -very hot and dry. Winter's nice with the rain/showery/frequent changeable weather. Cheapest out of all three to buy a home as well as cost of living.

Perth - too isolated and its ever increasing shrinkage of rainfall/increasing sunshine puts me even further off. Most expensive place to buy a home now, even elbowing Sydney off the most “expensive” radar. Expensive too where cost of living is concerned.

Down to the final - either Adelaide or Brisbane. Perth gets a big cross off - my list that is - sorry Perth folks.
I think Brisbane is close to some very nice beaches (Gold Coast, Moreton/Stradbroke Island and Sunshine Coast).

I believe Sydney has overtaken Perth again (as it should) but Perth is still grossly overpriced and overrated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,645 times
Reputation: 16
Default Ad/Br/Pe

I read Adel being described by 'poor mans climate when compared to Perth. Well Perth is like poor man's humility compared to Adelaide. Adelaide is very parochial, like Perth, but Perth ppl are obnoxious with their mantra of world's richest province, world's best freeways, world's windiest, most isolated, blah blah. Well now add world's white pointer capital because of all the sheep that are thrown overboard increasing their food source which increases their numbers. NSW has the best beaches, Perth's are shark infested, suburban Adel has NO surf and Brisbane you've gotta travel to Sunny or Goldy for sand and surf bcos Brisbane's are MUD
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Newcastle NSW Australia
1,503 posts, read 2,416,883 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelli View Post
I read Adel being described by 'poor mans climate when compared to Perth. Well Perth is like poor man's humility compared to Adelaide. Adelaide is very parochial, like Perth, but Perth ppl are obnoxious with their mantra of world's richest province, world's best freeways, world's windiest, most isolated, blah blah. Well now add world's white pointer capital because of all the sheep that are thrown overboard increasing their food source which increases their numbers. NSW has the best beaches, Perth's are shark infested, suburban Adel has NO surf and Brisbane you've gotta travel to Sunny or Goldy for sand and surf bcos Brisbane's are MUD
Perth might be renowned for it's boorish parochialism and superiority complex, but the white pointer problem is really insignificant - you have more chance of being hit by a bus than killed by a shark.
By the way, the Live Export sheep that had died were thrown overboard well out at sea - so more likely to be consumed by non-coastal species like Oceanic Whitetips and Blue Sharks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
 
2 posts, read 9,645 times
Reputation: 16
Ask the ppl eaten how insignificant it was to them!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 25,645,893 times
Reputation: 11728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelli View Post
Ask the ppl eaten how insignificant it was to them!
Ask people who got struck by lightning to see how insignificant thunderstorms are to them
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,682 posts, read 50,867,489 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelli View Post
I read Adel being described by 'poor mans climate when compared to Perth. Well Perth is like poor man's humility compared to Adelaide. Adelaide is very parochial, like Perth, but Perth ppl are obnoxious with their mantra of world's richest province, world's best freeways, world's windiest, most isolated, blah blah. Well now add world's white pointer capital because of all the sheep that are thrown overboard increasing their food source which increases their numbers. NSW has the best beaches, Perth's are shark infested, suburban Adel has NO surf and Brisbane you've gotta travel to Sunny or Goldy for sand and surf bcos Brisbane's are MUD
Don't worry, Perth folks bash ADL because they know they're inferior to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane. I'm from Perth and I can't WAIT to leave this city. It is nice to raise a family in, but what can it boast, beaches? I agree Sydney's are just as nice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 PM
 
1,012 posts, read 1,782,537 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think Brisbane is close to some very nice beaches (Gold Coast, Moreton/Stradbroke Island and Sunshine Coast).

I believe Sydney has overtaken Perth again (as it should) but Perth is still grossly overpriced and overrated.
You mean, overtaken Perth in cost of living or in the list of the most livable cities???
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top