U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities is your favorite?
Perth 12 27.27%
Brisbane 24 54.55%
Adelaide 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:05 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,784,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Besides Brisbane, they are all suburban, conservative, sleepy hell holes living in the past. BORING describes those two places.

Brisbane is doing a lot to break away from its past as a big country town. Lots of development and a unique city flavour.

Im from Sydney . Unfortunately, the only places worth living in Sydney are Mosman, Surry Hills, Newtown, Erskenville, Leichhardht. 5 suburbs out of hundreds. The place is a nightmare to get around, extrememly dirty and we have terrible weather - it rains most of the year (why do people think it is so sunny?). Statistically it is wetter than even London.

Oh and good luck finding anyone who speaks English
Probably because most people around the world view only the best of what Sydney has to offer, through digitalized screens and photos. Even I used to think Sydney as one of the sunniest cities in Australia until you've mentioned this.

And when you're saying it rains most of the year, is it rainy WITH depressing dark clouds or rainy-and-sunny(simultaneously)?
Is Sydney sunnier AND rainier than London?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:52 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,052,246 times
Sydney has over double the rainfall of London but is significantly sunnier (2,500 hours v. 1,500 hours annually), rainfall in Sydney often comes in short and sharp bursts as opposed to the drizzly, persistently overcast conditions you often get in the UK.

Sydney is also sunnier than either Melbourne or Adelaide despite higher rainfall. So it's clear that a higher average rainfall doesn't necessarily equate to lower amounts of sunshine.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,052,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Sydney has over double the rainfall of London but is significantly sunnier (2,500 hours v. 1,500 hours annually), rainfall in Sydney often comes in short and sharp bursts as opposed to the drizzly, persistently overcast conditions you often get in the UK.

Sydney is also sunnier than either Melbourne or Adelaide despite higher rainfall. So it's clear that a higher average rainfall doesn't necessarily equate to lower amounts of sunshine.
Just a correction here, Adelaide is actually about 10% sunnier than Sydney, the Wikipedia sunshine stats for Adelaide are inaccurate.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,911,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
You mean, overtaken Perth in cost of living or in the list of the most livable cities???
In COL.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Besides Brisbane, they are all suburban, conservative, sleepy hell holes living in the past. BORING describes those two places.

Brisbane is doing a lot to break away from its past as a big country town. Lots of development and a unique city flavour.

Im from Sydney . Unfortunately, the only places worth living in Sydney are Mosman, Surry Hills, Newtown, Erskenville, Leichhardht. 5 suburbs out of hundreds. The place is a nightmare to get around, extrememly dirty and we have terrible weather - it rains most of the year (why do people think it is so sunny?). Statistically it is wetter than even London.

Oh and good luck finding anyone who speaks English
Brissie ain't that much different/more cosmopolitan. In fact Perth has more overseas born than Brissie, although i prefer Brisbane.

Sounds like you like bohemian, hip sort of places. Terrible weather? Disagree, I'd trade Sydney's weather for Perth. Sydney gets fewer heatwaves than Melbourne (check the BOM stats). It is sunny compared to a lot of cities and like sulkiercupid said, gets way more sun than London.

I've been to Sydney many times and I had no trouble with English, even with Asians or other groups in Chinatown.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,784,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Brissie ain't that much different/more cosmopolitan. In fact Perth has more overseas born than Brissie, although i prefer Brisbane.

Sounds like you like bohemian, hip sort of places. Terrible weather? Disagree, I'd trade Sydney's weather for Perth. Sydney gets fewer heatwaves than Melbourne (check the BOM stats). It is sunny compared to a lot of cities and like sulkiercupid said, gets way more sun than London.

I've been to Sydney many times and I had no trouble with English, even with Asians or other groups in Chinatown.
What's wrong with Perth's weather compared to Sydney's weather?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
What's wrong with Perth's weather compared to Sydney's weather?
Mostly the summer. Many more days above 35+C than Sydney. I also like how Sydney's winters are drier and sunnier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand