U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three cities is your favorite?
Perth 12 27.27%
Brisbane 24 54.55%
Adelaide 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 AM

10,085 posts, read 20,789,399 times

Advertisements

Wanted to take a poll thread and share some thoughts on Australia's second tier cities; Perth, Brisbane, and Adelaide. There is endless discussion on Sydney and Melbourne and not a lot on Perth, Brisbane, and Adelaide. Which city do you prefer and what do you like about it? What do you like or dislike about the others? Heck throw in your two cents on Darwin and Hobart if you'd like as well.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,513,776 times
Adelaide:
1. I went to Uni Adelaide
2. I like a dry climate
3. I LOVE wine - best city in Oz for oenologists
4. its a foodie city (ref: New York Times
5. Lots of festivals
6. Calm beaches of Gulf St Vincent
7. Easy access to Kangaroo Island (nature) and Flinders Ranges (outback)

Brissy
1. Would be interesting, but for me, I don't like humidity

Perth:
1. Can't comment. But my mates who moved there from ADL all want to leave (quote: "city afraid of change")

Last edited by minibrings; 12-08-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 18,333 times
We say Brisbane, but we may be slightly biased

It has the best beaches and the best year round temperatures!

Old 12-08-2010, 05:33 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,104,696 times
I live in Perth and have only visited Adelaide and Brisbane.

The downside of Perth is its isolation. It's far from just about any place in the world, including the rest of the country. The isolation is not just a physical thing either, it affects the whole attitude, hence a paranoia of change. Although that seems to be slowly, ever soooo sllooooooooowly changing. Seems like we're getting less restricted trading hours, in a piecemeal way, so we have choice where we want to shop and when. All we want is choice, not to shop our brains out. But many Perthlings have a problem with people wanting to do things differently than its been done for the last 100 years. Not just restricted to the oldies either, unfortunately.

I doubt we'll ever get Daylight Savings here though. Development to enjoy our riverfront and oceanfront is also stagnated. I suppose rightfully so people fear over-the-top overdevelopment but by constantly saying No to everything, there's a lack of vibrancy and life on our streets, compared to what I've seen in other cities. Hence, we're "backyard people", a term a friend of mine came up with.

There are weather extremes - some days are very hot in summer and down around 1-2C on some winter nights. Other than that, the weather is consistently sunny and gorgeous for much of the year, even in winter - stunning blue skies! We don't have that sticky humidity, nor do we get a lot of the disastrous stormy type weather that Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne get.

Perth has the best beaches out of the three, imo. There are beaches for every type of swimmer and non-swimmer, surfer and non-surfer. So many beaches we have entire, beautiful beaches just for dogs, and more just for horses, year-round. Since Perth is built along the coast, you're never far from one. And you don't have to suffer a crowded beach because there are so many. Clean aqua water that on hot days you can just walk right in without having to psyche yourself up first.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
But many Perthlings have a problem with people wanting to do things differently than its been done for the last 100 years. Not just restricted to the oldies either, unfortunately..
This explains why my mates told me "they're afraid of change"

Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,548,128 times
I'm sick of Perth constantly boasting about it's beaches, because that's about all we really have . Yes, they're nice, but they're no better than the beaches in most of the other capitals, with a few obvious exceptions.

I think they're three very different cities with different characters. Perth is sunny, new, progressive in the development sense but parochial in mindset, Adelaide probably actually even more conservative, smaller, older feeling (despite Perth being older), feels a bit like the Australia of yesterday (think like 70s or 80s). Brisbane feels more tropical, less English than the other two, also alot of development, closer to the tourist hubs of Queensland but not until recently much of a tourist draw.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,035,582 times
I've been to all three cities - twice to Perth (both short holidays), twice to Brisbane (once in 1987, then again in 2003 - again short holidays), and about 7-8 times to Adelaide (a good mate lives there who I see now and again).

Climate and weather play a big part in my decision making process, and Perth would have to win on that count due to the high sunshine hours, more stability, less humid etc. However I prefer warm evenings also so I suspect Brisbane would be preferable in that aspect.

Adelaide is like a poor man's Perth in terms of its climate - not quite as sunny, colder and greyer in winter but then subject to very hot days and periods in summer.

In terms of comparing each city in growth, Brisbane seems more progressive. It was nothing that impressive when I went the first time, but I could see and feel change when I returned years later. I cannot comment personally on the progressiveness of Perth, but from what I have heard from numerous sources, it is stuck in a time capsule.

If I had the ability to move, I suspect Brisbane would be a better option for me firstly, then Perth when I am much older (ie the lack of change and isolation would possibly not concern me as much).

I am not a huge fan of Adelaide - just doesn't have that "wow" factor for me although Glenelg is interesting.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I've been to all three cities - twice to Perth (both short holidays), twice to Brisbane (once in 1987, then again in 2003 - again short holidays), and about 7-8 times to Adelaide (a good mate lives there who I see now and again).

Climate and weather play a big part in my decision making process, and Perth would have to win on that count due to the high sunshine hours, more stability, less humid etc. However I prefer warm evenings also so I suspect Brisbane would be preferable in that aspect.

Adelaide is like a poor man's Perth in terms of its climate - not quite as sunny, colder and greyer in winter but then subject to very hot days and periods in summer.

In terms of comparing each city in growth, Brisbane seems more progressive. It was nothing that impressive when I went the first time, but I could see and feel change when I returned years later. I cannot comment personally on the progressiveness of Perth, but from what I have heard from numerous sources, it is stuck in a time capsule.

If I had the ability to move, I suspect Brisbane would be a better option for me firstly, then Perth when I am much older (ie the lack of change and isolation would possibly not concern me as much).

I am not a huge fan of Adelaide - just doesn't have that "wow" factor for me although Glenelg is interesting.
of the 3 cities, which was most likely to preserve the old and not tear down beautiful old buildings in the name of progress? I actually am not a fan of Glenelg. I lived in North Adelaide which had brilliant architecture, pubs and restos.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:48 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,104,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
of the 3 cities, which was most likely to preserve the old and not tear down for new construction?
Unfortunately Perth was in a big tear-down mood in the 70's and 80's, hence we have some real architectural horrors and carbuncles. I don't mind what's being built now as far as office buildings.

Then there's our Convention Centre. Built maybe 5 or so years ago - just hideous! I suppose that's what scares people off development. When we get it so unbelievably wrong like that. And any waterfront development seems to have too much focus on big, tall, overpowering, and posh. We're no Dubai but some suggestions for development I've seen are far too inclined that way. And since we're so isolated, it's not a matter of "build it and they will come". Or at least I don't believe so.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 PM

9,594 posts, read 25,724,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
But many Perthlings have a problem with people wanting to do things differently than its been done for the last 100 years. Not just restricted to the oldies either, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimac20
Perth is sunny, new, progressive in the development sense but parochial in mindset, Adelaide probably actually even more conservative, smaller, older feeling (despite Perth being older), feels a bit like the Australia of yesterday (think like 70s or 80s).
Both sound like they could be true...
but how could Adelaide feel "more conservative" than Perth?

I like how SA has DST; summer sunsets after 8 pm?
Apparently you can get perogies in Adelaide, but not in Perth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand