Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Traffic can be a drag either way you go out of the airport. The thing with the airport is that it isn't located near downtown and the surrounding suburb areas are nothing to write home about.

If it's something you are really wrapped up in, I'd just change your flights to have a one night layover. What is your final destination anyways???
Pity.

The thing about having a one night stop is it can dramatically increase the cost of flying...
even though you are still doing the same amount of travel.
Like going from North America to Hawaii, then to NZ,
they would probably charge someone the cost of individual flights;
as in a return ticket to Hawaii and a separate return ticket to NZ.

My final destination (for the purpose of this particular flight) is Sydney, Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by two wrist View Post
Pity.

The thing about having a one night stop is it can dramatically increase the cost of flying...
even though you are still doing the same amount of travel.
Like going from North America to Hawaii, then to NZ,
they would probably charge someone the cost of individual flights;
as in a return ticket to Hawaii and a separate return ticket to NZ.

My final destination (for the purpose of this particular flight) is Sydney, Australia.
You might want to dig thru the Qantas and Air NZ website as they often have deals to have a layover of some length in New Zealand or another Pacific island for around $50 or so extra.

It's a mute point anyways doing it the way you want to do it, because you wont really have time to see anything. Auckland is not a city I find you remember with fondness and a strong desire to return. I mean I guess you can take a cab downtown and go "Hey this is Auckland" and then walk around some but time will be very limited.

Even with those early morning flights, by the time one disembarks the 747, goes through immigration, then baggage and customs and then secures transportation, I find it's usually 7:30 to 8 AM.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You might want to dig thru the Qantas and Air NZ website as they often have deals to have a layover of some length in New Zealand or another Pacific island for around $50 or so extra.

It's a mute point anyways doing it the way you want to do it, because you wont really have time to see anything. Auckland is not a city I find you remember with fondness and a strong desire to return. I mean I guess you can take a cab downtown and go "Hey this is Auckland" and then walk around some but time will be very limited.

Even with those early morning flights, by the time one disembarks the 747, goes through immigration, then baggage and customs and then secures transportation, I find it's usually 7:30 to 8 AM.
Well I did check out a layover in Honolulu on the way to Oz through Quantas, which is when I discovered they like to charge the equivalent of two separate return tickets, for the priviledge of staying a few nights instead of doing it all in one go.
Which is why I am not excited at all about spending a night anywhere on my way to Oz.

(All of my friends have asked if I'd see anywhere fun along the way; Hawaii, Thailand, Fiji? "...Nope!!!..." )

I was willing to pay up to 45% more for an extended stay at some of the points of connection,
(its the same bloody flight time and distance, minus a bit of extra work for the baggage handlers)
but apparently even that is not enough money for the airlines; greedy bastards...
Imho, the airlines can all get stuffed!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:41 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by two wrist View Post
Well I did check out a layover in Honolulu on the way to Oz through Quantas, which is when I discovered they like to charge the equivalent of two separate return tickets, for the priviledge of staying a few nights instead of doing it all in one go.
Which is why I am not excited at all about spending a night anywhere on my way to Oz.

(All of my friends have asked if I'd see anywhere fun along the way; Hawaii, Thailand, Fiji? "...Nope!!!..." )

I was willing to pay up to 45% more for an extended stay at some of the points of connection,
(its the same bloody flight time and distance, minus a bit of extra work for the baggage handlers)
but apparently even that is not enough money for the airlines; greedy bastards...
Imho, the airlines can all get stuffed!!!
Well like I said keep your eyes out for deals. Air Tahiti Nui has some nice deals Air Tahiti Nui - Airfares & travel packages to Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea plus Australia, New Zealand and France.

The thing with NZ is that having traveled both countries extensively, it really needs it's own trip. Having said that, if you go down there, once you are down there, I'd maximize the time you have. I go down for a month at a time, which next time I might split half the time in Australia and half in NZ, especially since I have been to just about every town and corner of NZ.

If you had a month or something you could just fly into NZ and then when you wanted to go to Australia book on one of the various airlines round trip out of one of the main New Zealand cities.

If you are only going for a week or maybe 2, I'd pick one country to go with and stick with that. It's too much ground to cover otherwise and too much travel time.

Lastly if it is such a huge cost to route thru NZ, 2 hours in downtown Auckland isn't going to do anything for. To me it's a pointless waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand