Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerOfFate View Post
One of the biggest differences I see between US Target/Kmart and the Aussie ones is that in Australia, we never seem to mix our supermarkets with anything else!

Also are the US Targets open 24-7? My local Target is usually only open til 7pm.
They recently opened a 24 hour K-Mart in Melbourne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:32 AM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They recently opened a 24 hour K-Mart in Melbourne.
Is Kmart and Target connected to malls in Austrailia? In america I have never seen any, but there are a few.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Is Kmart and Target connected to malls in Austrailia? In america I have never seen any, but there are a few.
Mostly, I don't know of any free-standing K-Marts or Targets in the Perth metro area.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Mostly, I don't know of any free-standing K-Marts or Targets in the Perth metro area.
In america you will only see department stores connected to malls like Dillard's, Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman-Marcus, Sears, J.C.Penney, etc.

It is VERY rare to see Target, Walmart, and Kmart at a mall.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Target in Australia tends to be a bit smaller. They have alot of the same products. I was surprised too see Target when I was down there.

I was down there 5 years ago and Target has changed alot up here since. Many Targets now carry milk, eggs, and more grocery store items which wasn't the case in 2005. Targets tend to be the main store in any shopping center. Australia from what I saw, doesn't really have many shopping centers hence why they are attached to malls.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Target in Australia tends to be a bit smaller. They have alot of the same products. I was surprised too see Target when I was down there.

I was down there 5 years ago and Target has changed alot up here since. Many Targets now carry milk, eggs, and more grocery store items which wasn't the case in 2005. Targets tend to be the main store in any shopping center. Australia from what I saw, doesn't really have many shopping centers hence why they are attached to malls.
There are plenty of big Westfield and other Shopping Centres here.
Nearest big ones to here are Charlestown Square and Westfield Kotara, as well as a Stockland in Greenhills and Glendale.
Target are not in every shopping centre,as they have strong competition from Big W, and K-Mart to a lesser extent.
Target tends to be a sligthly more upmarket version of Big W, with clothing slightly better.
There are also ""Country Target"" shops in country and regional centres, which are nothing to get excited about.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Nearest big ones to here are Charlestown Square and Westfield Kotara, as well as a Stockland in Greenhills and Glendale.
Target are not in every shopping centre,as they have strong competition from Big W, and K-Mart to a lesser extent.
Target tends to be a sligthly more upmarket version of Big W, with clothing slightly better.
There are also ""Country Target"" shops in country and regional centres, which are nothing to get excited about.
The USA has alot of them. Dallas has the most shopping centers in the USA. We have too many!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:45 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
They have Westfields there? God, that disappoints me...

Old 12-25-2010, 02:57 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
^Well, Westfield are an Australian company. They're involved with a number of shopping centres in OZ, The US, The UK and NZ.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-25-2010 at 03:17 AM..

Old 12-25-2010, 04:45 AM

359 posts, read 658,135 times
As far as shopping centres go, Chadstone in Victoria has the works. Every chain and small store an Australian can imagine. Supposed to be the biggest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand