Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:33 PM

813 posts, read 951,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Considering Collingwood & Carlton completely hate each other, I'd say 90,000 for that game.... as .... well *they* won the premiership last year. ( F&^FHFJ!)
Was a very sad year for football last year...

Go Blues!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
oh dear. Not sure what is worse.

I'm a sainter.
twas a dark day.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damo1995 View Post
Just looked at April for these venues in Melbourne and I thought this would be the best week of April for you to be in this part of the world.

Both of the AFL games at the MCG and Etihad should be good games and Good Charlotte wouldn't be too bad of a concert.

AAMI Park would also be another stadium to visit in Melbourne for Rugby League/Union at that time of year. It is a new stadium with a capacity of around 30000.

MCG...............................Fri 8th of April...Collingwood vs. Carlton (Will get a crowd of 85000 plus)
Etihad Stadium...............Sun 10th of April....StKilda vs. Essendon (Will get a crowd of 45000-50000)
Rod Laver Arena.............Wed 13th of April....Good Charlotte (Keith Urban and Barry Manilow also play at this venue around this time of month).
This just shows the scale of sports fanatacism in Melbourne.
To get 85,000 at a basic AFL competition game -ie not a semi-final or grand-final, or a state of origin, beggars belief.
You would be lucky to get 30,000 maximum at an NRL game during the year.
Melbourne is the sports capital of Australia, no doubt.
Never made it to the MCG when I was last in Melbourne, but apparently it is well worth the look.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Hi there Jericho,

I have heard other people refer to melbourne as a mini - NYC... it would be the only thing remotely close to NY in aus.

MCG is iconic - you can do a tour, and i recommend going for a big (aussie) football game ...

Re beaches: Bondi has such a hype that it can be a let down. Surfers is interesting. Port douglas is stunning, (great barrier reef close by etc) - but pricey. You could stay in Cairns and drive north (one hour)....or take an organised bus tour there.
Hi Oz.. Im not disagreeing or challenging you here..

But for me, as a former resident of NYC, there WAS no Ozzie equivalent.. as there are no mega cities in Oz (IMO). Shanghai perhaps was more NYC..

For me, MEL = SF, SYD = LA, BRIS = MIAMI

As for the Auckland pundits, I actually like Auckland. If the wages were higher and cost of living lower, I would be a happy being a Jafa. Love the Auck Museum, Coffee shops on Ponsonby, the beaches of the west coast.. have always dreamt of having a batch facing the Tasman.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I went to Collingwood vs Carlton last year at the MCG and there were about 90,000 people there (just a normal season fixture). The atmosphere was electric, and it certainly is alot bigger than Subiaco.

I like it how the city of Melbourne is full of footy fans in their scarves, beanies and banners. Banter between the two groups of supporters is always good, but I'm proud it's not bad-blooded like with soccer hooligans throughout the world. AFL rivalry is about the GAME not about some stupid need to be macho or tribal.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Hi Oz.. Im not disagreeing or challenging you here..

But for me, as a former resident of NYC, there WAS no Ozzie equivalent.. as there are no mega cities in Oz (IMO). Shanghai perhaps was more NYC..

For me, MEL = SF, SYD = LA, BRIS = MIAMI

As for the Auckland pundits, I actually like Auckland. If the wages were higher and cost of living lower, I would be a happy being a Jafa. Love the Auck Museum, Coffee shops on Ponsonby, the beaches of the west coast.. have always dreamt of having a batch facing the Tasman.
Hey Mini

I guess I'm not thinking of size -- melbourne is tinsy compare dto NYC.. more in terms of culture or the vibe, arts etc. The differences between say St Kilda to Carlton to Fitzroy then to the CBD itself.

SF might suit also.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Hey Mini

I guess I'm not thinking of size -- melbourne is tinsy compare dto NYC.. more in terms of culture or the vibe, arts etc. The differences between say St Kilda to Carlton to Fitzroy then to the CBD itself.

SF might suit also.
Of course nowhere in Australia rivals NYC. Sydney feels bigger than most world cities of 4 million, though, it feels like a second tier city on the level of Chicago, SF, Philly or even LA.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Hey Mini

SF might suit also.
ah makes sense.. i was more thinking coffee culture, which MEL has in heaps.. which for me, SF does much better than NY. And the scale of arts in MEL is more in line with SF.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Of course nowhere in Australia rivals NYC. Sydney feels bigger than most world cities of 4 million, though, it feels like a second tier city on the level of Chicago, SF, Philly or even LA.
True.
Nowhere in many parts of the world feels like NY.
Except perhaps Adelaide.. okay, Jacqs are you around.. I'm laying the bait for a Deadadelaide comeback

Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
True.
Nowhere in many parts of the world feels like NY.
Except perhaps Adelaide.. okay, Jacqs are you around.. I'm laying the bait for a Deadadelaide comeback
aww radelaide > deadadelaide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand