Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:49 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Coming from the USA, definitely I'd say there is a bit of an island mentality.
Is it possibly related to small-nation syndrome? Because New Zealand is a worse offender than Australia in that regards, which is scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:00 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
Is it possibly related to small-nation syndrome? Because New Zealand is a worse offender than Australia in that regards, which is scary.
No no he is just flat wrong

Aussies seem to care what Americans think of them, where in NZ kiwis dont seem to care.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 AM

53 posts, read 143,284 times
Back to the OP's query, some people like it here and some people don't. I don't know if it helps to be leftie(?), don't think it will protect you from comments aimed at your being American, and don't be shocked when people make un-PC comments, either. Wages are low in comparison to the cost of living, so even if you are happy with what you make, it won't go very far in terms of the housing and utilities, etc. They prefer to hire Kiwis over foreigners, and all the more so now when jobs are scarcer. Nonetheless, some manage to get and keep jobs and fit in OK. It would help if you were outdoorsy and had a lot of money in the bank before coming over. Christchurch might not be a good fit for you. Wellington might.

I knew one Portlander (or was she from Seattle? Same difference, "Pacific NW anyway"), who WWOOFed for awhile hoping to find a regular job and get a work visa, she ended up just doing some old Kiwi stoner's weeding for free for months on end and living in some kind of treehouse. I don't know if she stuck around or not. Go with a written valid contract in hand with all the terms that you want to be in it (to avoid the bait and switch employers pull) and choose your school well (check deciles and neighborhoods and crime rates, read the papers first), and maybe you'll love it. Or just take a position in the most crime-ridden 'hood and play Mr. Chips...my kid went to school here for awhile, and she was so frustrated at how kids in the classrooms just talked in class the whole time, and the drugs. I spoke to a couple American teachers in the States who had never been here, but seemed to have a rosy idea of certain academic theories they perceived were preferred in the schools here. Why not just try one of those "teach for a year" programs?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM

25 posts, read 83,838 times

Old 06-14-2012, 12:14 AM

29 posts, read 42,569 times
Not sure is there is any point commenting on this thread or not. Just in case the OP is still interested here is a perspective from a born and bred Kiwi teacher (high school though).

My understanding is that ECE is a bit different from secondary teaching but here's what I know:

ECE education has varying salaries based on qualifications, experience and what type of ECE provider you are planning to work in. It can be negotiated as an individual contract or as part of a collective agreement through a union. I have an Aunt who is in the business if you want more details.

Cost of living: to be fair I have never lived in another country but the cost of living in NZ varies quite a bit depending on where in NZ you are living. For example my three bedroom property to rent in the middle of Kaitaia (a rather small town right at the top oft the counrty) I pay $200/week. I have a large yard and don't have to pay for water. For a similar sized rental property in Auckland Central would be $430+ and you probably wouldn't get the same amount of lawn and would potentially be quite a communte from your work.

I'm not sure about your living situation but over the year I average about $120/month electricity charges which is me blasting the heaters in the winter and running two fridge-freezers year-round.

If you want to get an idea of protperty costs in areas you are looking for work Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me this is a good place to start. It also lists flatmates wanted.

I'm not quite sure what is meant by 'Island mentality'. Like I said, I have never lived anywhere else than NZ, but most of us are pretty welcoming. I imagine it is the same in parts of the US where you have a few who are a bit resistant to change and see foreigners as the bringers of this. Mostly I think you would have no real problems unless you come across some real idiots (which seem to be a worldwide issue, not unique to NZ).

The culture shock might be a bit intense - the Maori influence will probably be the biggest one. But I imagine there will be a cutlure shock anywhere you choose to move, even if it is within the US.

The education system over here has its ups and downs. But according to the Teaching forum on this site it seems that same can be said for the education system in the US.

Hope this helps, and if you have any questions just let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand