U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM

89 posts, read 199,172 times

Advertisements

I saw this on Google News a Facebook Group is trying to push the NZOC to make a bid for the 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.
This Facebook Group is runned by 4 people from Australia and New Zealand. They are also linked with a bid for Brisbane Australia to host the 2024 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Christchurch-Queenstown New Zealand 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Read this News Report's
New Zealand Winter Olympics bid 'ambitious' | Stuff.co.nz
Group aims to promote New Zealand | Stuff.co.nz
NZ Winter 2022 bid 'long way off' - Yahoo! Eurosport
Kiwi Winter Olympics bid hits Facebook - Sport - NZ Herald News

So What do you think about the Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games in New Zealand?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 12:51 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Potter 1 View Post
I saw this on Google News a Facebook Group is trying to push the NZOC to make a bid for the 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.
This Facebook Group is runned by 4 people from Australia and New Zealand. They are also linked with a bid for Brisbane Australia to host the 2024 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Christchurch-Queenstown New Zealand 2022 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Read this News Report's
New Zealand Winter Olympics bid 'ambitious' | Stuff.co.nz
Group aims to promote New Zealand | Stuff.co.nz
NZ Winter 2022 bid 'long way off' - Yahoo! Eurosport
Kiwi Winter Olympics bid hits Facebook - Sport - NZ Herald News

So What do you think about the Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games in New Zealand?
I think we are pretty small, the quality of ski fields is not in question, just the size and justification of spending the amount of $$$ to run such an event.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:01 AM

24,682 posts, read 52,986,464 times
Queenstown has about 10,000 permanent residents, although I suppose some of the past host cities were small villages (many events aren't even in town of course). I wonder how much of a tourism boost it'll be though...NZ is still a long way away from the rest of the world.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 AM

1,503 posts, read 2,537,985 times
I am not a skier, have only been to real snow twice in my life, but would love to see NZ succeed in it's bid.
It is probably the only place in the Southern Hemisphere that could.
The Andes in South America are higher, but I don't think winter sports and tourism has been explored in those countries.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:46 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,361,312 times
It would be great to have a Winter Olympics down this end of the planet but it costs a lot to host one of those. Billions.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Queenstown has about 10,000 permanent residents, although I suppose some of the past host cities were small villages (many events aren't even in town of course). I wonder how much of a tourism boost it'll be though...NZ is still a long way away from the rest of the world.
This will be a real issue as well, although the Canadian, Swiss and Austrian teams frequently train here in the South Island, but to bring so many countries to New Zealand which is really out in the middle of nowhere is a big expense in itself.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 AM

504 posts, read 1,033,200 times
At the risk of sounding negative, I'm not so sure it would be a good idea. Conditions are highly variable, they could be good, but it could just as easy be a marketing nightmare.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 AM

24,682 posts, read 52,986,464 times
While a nice town, I think Queenstown lacks the alpine village feel of Banff, Aspen, Chamonix or even Perisher. I did love skiing in NZ though, best of all no need to worry about doing a Sonny Bono because no trees! Sorry Sonny, no disrespect meant!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 AM

89 posts, read 199,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
but would love to see NZ succeed in it's bid.
The Andes in South America are higher, but I don't think winter sports and tourism has been explored in those countries.
I can only think of 2 other places to have the Winter Olympics and Paralympics in the Southern Hemisphere then New Zealand they are Santiago Chile and a Joint bid with Canberra ACT- Thredbo New South Wales Australia.

With the bid with Christchurch-Queenstown is the Smartest way of having the Winter Games in New Zealand Christchurch the largest City in the South Island and Queenstown is the best area for skiing.

This is the best way for New Zealand to get the Games. Auckland is not bigger enouth for the Summer Olympics and Paralympics Games.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM

9,845 posts, read 21,669,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
I am not a skier, have only been to real snow twice in my life, but would love to see NZ succeed in it's bid.
They've got some skiing in Argentina and Chile, I just don't think that it has been thought of with a lot of seriousness like people do in some of the northern hemisphere countries, but it doesn't exist.

In regards to New Zealand, funding is the issue and it just costs a fortune to host a games these days. You have to weigh that with what benefits you might get out of it. In Salt Lake City, when I went up to the Park City Olympic complex, I was very surprised at the number of visitors they were getting at the museum and bobsled run 8 years later, so much so we left as the lines were too long. I think for Utah it really helped showcase it as a skiing destination.

Atlanta which held the 1996 Olympics there is little sign the games were ever there and for all the money they spent I really don't know that they got a lot out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand