Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,693,274 times

Advertisements

I don't find it particularly sexy in a woman but I don't dislike the accent either.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 02-06-2011 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 03:34 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,135,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Well, thank god for that! Must be where you're from and hang out because I certainly hear that accent here in Perth lots. Along with the high-pitched whiny voice. Worst place is when I'm on the train. There's no escape from it! I was thinking it might be a class/education thing except I find it seems quite common with teenagers and young 20-somethings. Almost like our version of that annoying "Valley Girl" talk in the US. There's even a few women at the place I work who talk like that girl in the video 20-somethings.

- I was always more concentrating to never sound like northern suburbs of Melbourne or western suburbs of Sydney

Growing up in Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - middle class - we don't really have the whiny sound. However, I have noticed a predisposition by younger girls to insert the word "like" 400 times in a sentence. Is this "Valley Girl" talk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Not to me, I generally like the Aussie accent on a girl/woman.
Good answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
No offense to any of you, but I really find the Australian accent quite off putting on women. I just don't like the way it sounds. I hate any accents that make people sound stupid. Not to say that they are, but anyone with an Australian accent automatically to me sounds stupid. It's not just the Aussie one, also the Valley Girl accent and Southern US accents. Ughhh
Its okay. The American accent can sound very offputting and unappealing too. On men as well!

Stupid is an interesting description. How does an accent sound stupid?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,263,789 times
I am not sure whether the Australian accent is sexy or unsexy but before I moved here, I found more differentiation between a Kiwi female and Aussie female accent than a Kiwi male/Aussie male.

That is, I was more likely to distinguish the country of origin (between NZ and Oz) if there were women involved from both countries. I found the Australian female accent a lot sharper than the Kiwi female accent.

This I think is very subjective and everyone has their own experiences - perhaps I just listened more when the ladies were talking...!

These days, I struggle more and more each day to differentiate between an Australian and NZ accent, regardless of gender!

Old 02-06-2011, 05:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I am not sure whether the Australian accent is sexy or unsexy but before I moved here, I found more differentiation between a Kiwi female and Aussie female accent than a Kiwi male/Aussie male.

That is, I was more likely to distinguish the country of origin (between NZ and Oz) if there were women involved from both countries. I found the Australian female accent a lot sharper than the Kiwi female accent.

This I think is very subjective and everyone has their own experiences - perhaps I just listened more when the ladies were talking...!

These days, I struggle more and more each day to differentiate between an Australian and NZ accent, regardless of gender!
Interesting, I find the Kiwi accent 'sharper' but that's because I'm obviously more used to Aussie as well. I think one difference is in Oz men tend to have slightly stronger accents but in NZ it's the other way around.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:48 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,735,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Growing up in Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - middle class - we don't really have the whiny sound. However, I have noticed a predisposition by younger girls to insert the word "like" 400 times in a sentence. Is this "Valley Girl" talk?
LOL! Yes, I certainly notice that too! And it's drawled out and pronounced more like 'laayhk' around here. One of the characteristics of Valley Girl speak was the overuse of the word 'like'. And 'totally', but especially 'like'.

Then there's the word 'no' in Australia, twisted and distorted to sound more like 'noyou'.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
LOL! Yes, I certainly notice that too! And it's drawled out and pronounced more like 'laayhk' around here. One of the characteristics of Valley Girl speak was the overuse of the word 'like'. And 'totally', but especially 'like'.

Then there's the word 'no' in Australia, twisted and distorted to sound more like 'noyou'.
The worst is when they're talking about a conversation they had (which seems to be most of the time)...

'And I'm like blah blah blah, and she's like yada yada yada, and I'm like...'

Old 02-06-2011, 08:18 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,135,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The worst is when they're talking about a conversation they had (which seems to be most of the time)...

'And I'm like blah blah blah, and she's like yada yada yada, and I'm like...'
.... and I'm like, where's the gun?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,524,848 times
Any accent - ANY accent - is sexy coming out of the right mouth.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,852,619 times
Quote:
To be fair though, the girl on the video had a real whiny voice and bogany accent, or whatever you'd categorise that as. Ocker? Not all Aussies speak like that.

"Not her but" - a unique Aussie thing, putting the word "but" on the end of a sentence.

Another Aussie-ism: the phrase "Yeah, no ..."
the but ending is more of a Queensland thing than Australia wide. You'd waste time waiting for them to finish the sentence

Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
the but ending is more of a Queensland thing than Australia wide. You'd waste time waiting for them to finish the sentence
Kinda like how we sometimes end sentences with 'as.'

Australian: 'It's hot as!'
Foreigner: 'Hot as what?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand