Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:08 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanfromMiami View Post
No offense to any of you, but I really find the Australian accent quite off putting on women. I just don't like the way it sounds. I hate any accents that make people sound stupid. Not to say that they are, but anyone with an Australian accent automatically to me sounds stupid. It's not just the Aussie one, also the Valley Girl accent and Southern US accents. Ughhh
I agree, many Australian women often come across as coarse and loud bit like the traditional London East Enders sort of common talk. I don’t think many Aussies realise how they sound. As a male I don’t care how Aussie blokes sound in the context of sexy or not :P

On our side of the fence the middle of the North island NZ have a horrid accent, the kind of Maori bad English "hey bro" kind of accent. Even Europeans with zero Maori ancestry talk like it, kind of amuses me, but a huge turn off in a women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,098,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
I agree, many Australian women often come across as coarse and loud bit like the traditional London East Enders sort of common talk. I don’t think many Aussies realise how they sound. As a male I don’t care how Aussie blokes sound in the context of sexy or not :P

On our side of the fence the middle of the North island NZ have a horrid accent, the kind of Maori bad English "hey bro" kind of accent. Even Europeans with zero Maori ancestry talk like it, kind of amuses me, but a huge turn off in a women.
Yeah I don't like the sound of it, although he's supposed to be Tongan I think Jonah from 'Summer Heights High' (Aussie comedy series that aired a few years ago if you don't know) speak sort of like that. Whatever accent he has it's annoying as hell!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,126,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah I don't like the sound of it, although he's supposed to be Tongan I think Jonah from 'Summer Heights High' (Aussie comedy series that aired a few years ago if you don't know) speak sort of like that. Whatever accent he has it's annoying as hell!
I love Jonah!

"**** you

what did you say?

i said puck off"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b789s7TEuUE

Old 06-14-2014, 12:03 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,589 times
Quote:
Actually a lot of Aussie women do sound a bit like that

Lets get another objective opinion

21 Accents - YouTube

I know the brits prefer Kiwi accents over Aussie accents, you cant actually judge your own accent as you dont hear it
Speaking as a British person I prefer Australian accents to New Zealand's, possibly because they're easier to understand and the vowels are softer. For example, John Key has got the most gawdawful Kiwi twang.

John Key uses Santa to criticise Labour leader - TV News Video | TVNZ

Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Speaking as a British person I prefer Australian accents to New Zealand's,
Hmmm This doesn't sound very elegant and it actually at a press conference not debating in parliament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCJ_aavenyo

Can't use Tony Abbott he's English.

Hows that for twang , you should be able to hear it being English and all

Last edited by Battleneter; 06-14-2014 at 12:39 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 01:19 AM

Lol yes but Julia is Welsh isn't she? Still, she has excellent enunciation. I can't stand the woman but at least she sounds like she's sober and in possession of most/all of her teeth . Compared to 'Aunty' Helen Clark she's positively Swiss finishing school.

One of the nicest Australian's accents has got to be Kevin Rudd's, quite a sexy voice for radio. I'm also liking Assie Hamish of 'Hamish&Andy' but Hugh Jackman's has got to be the best Aussie male's accent.

Last edited by Samuel,J; 06-14-2014 at 01:28 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 01:27 AM

Remember NZ's Pulp Sport? could hardly understand a word but funny as heck in any language (well, until the show got pulled and one of them got nicked then not so funny)

Pulp Sport - McKayver gets his Revenge - YouTube

Old 06-14-2014, 10:50 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,457,979 times
Quote:
Actually a lot of Aussie women do sound a bit like that

Lets get another objective opinion

21 Accents - YouTube

I know the brits prefer Kiwi accents over Aussie accents, you cant actually judge your own accent as you dont hear it
Omg I love this video.The French part was hilarious lol.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:55 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeGdahBW5i8

Kiwi guys talking to a typical Aussie lady

Old 06-16-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeGdahBW5i8

Kiwi guys talking to a typical Aussie lady
Lol always funny to see New Zealanders taking the rip out of Aussies

The history of New Zild: "All Bliks"

New Zealand English isn't English at all according to this doco. Of course, I can find it funny because I speak propa Queen's English but have been known to multi-task

New Zild - The New Zealand Accent - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand