Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 11:27 PM

16 posts, read 34,928 times

Advertisements

Hey Im currently looking for the possiblity of having an exchange student program to study Tourism and Hospitality in Australia. My first choice was the UQ (University of Queensland) but im getting cold feet after what happened during the floods.

Other possibilities are:

University of New South Wales
University of Technoloy in Sydney
University of Newcastle
Swinburne
Monash

Any suggestions?

Also, when do classes regulary start and how expensive is it to live?

Im also considering assisting to Auckland University of Technology (has anyone heard of it?)

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,719,910 times
This course would be more commonly done at TAFE or Tech than Univeristies.
A quick check of local university courses shows nothing:
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/what-can...uate-programs/

Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 PM

836 posts, read 1,488,515 times
I know there are a couple of options for you in Dunedin, NZ, which may be worth checking into.

Otago Polytechnic: Programme details (http://www.otagopolytechnic.ac.nz/index.php?id=175&PID=SAB%20TT5 - broken link)
Study Tourism, University of Otago, New Zealand

First semester starts in Feb. and second in July.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:39 PM

How does TAFE or Tech studies perform against an average University?

Im currently studying my sixth semester at a private university and planning to get a Master in the mid-future.
I chose the UQ before because it had the most extensive program in Tourism and Hospitality (as far as i know)
Ive already done 5 months of internship in a travel agency and will continue in airport and hotels.

My priority is to learn the planning/business side of the industry, since im getting all my knowledge of the technical side during my internship.

Cheers.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:52 AM

5,027 posts, read 7,446,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnf16 View Post
Hey Im currently looking for the possiblity of having an exchange student program to study Tourism and Hospitality in Australia. My first choice was the UQ (University of Queensland) but im getting cold feet after what happened during the floods.

Other possibilities are:

University of New South Wales
University of Technoloy in Sydney
University of Newcastle
Swinburne
Monash

Any suggestions?

Also, when do classes regulary start and how expensive is it to live?

Im also considering assisting to Auckland University of Technology (has anyone heard of it?)

Thanks in advance
You should not be getting cold feet due to the floods, comming to brisbane now you would hardley know it happend, unless your close to someone who is directly affected by it. Almost all the people who died lived in the lockeyer valley 100km west of brisbane, the steets are now as clean as they were before the flood.

I went to the UQ, had a great time, I dont know much about the tourism and hospitality course however.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Im having a hard time trying to choose the best university for me.
Its going to be one of the following:

Sydney
UTS

Melbourne
Swinburne
Deakin
Monash

Brisbane
UQ

UQ looks great but im afraid it may not offer things you might find in bigger cities.
Melbourne sounds tempting but I still have to choose from 3 different universities.
I think Swinsburne is more prestigious but still, Im very confused.

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand