U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM

9,594 posts, read 26,268,745 times

Advertisements

Australia has been in Canadian news a lot lately...

Australian bushfires destroy at least 59 homes - The Weather Network

Was anyone here nearby the recent fires?

Reminds me,
I'm curious if Tasmania is immune to severe summer weather; no flooding or major bushfires?
Lack of severe summer weather I could see being a great reason to have a vacation property there.
Tasmania and South Australia seem to be the only places in Australia having a fairly average summer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 PM

14,780 posts, read 15,874,136 times
South Australia can get very hot in summer. I believe it is the driest state.

I heard the city had some smog over it yesterday ...

Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM

1,800 posts, read 2,738,696 times
This summer in Tasmania has been very ordinary, it can get very warm here as we have found out but not the extremes like the rest of Australia. Having said that Tasmania is prone to bush fires the area i live in was destroyed during the 60's, in the 80's there was a huge fire, Hobart was surrounded by it. Winters are very cold lot of heavy frosts in the South and always snow on Mt. Wellington and other ranges.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
South Australia can get very hot in summer. I believe it is the driest state.

I heard the city had some smog over it yesterday ...
By comparison, that just sounds like minor comfort and health-related issues, not "Natural Disasters."

Pardon my ignorance, but can heat waves themselves in Australia cause extensive damage?

Canada gets plenty of winter days with temperatures that most people resent,
but we usually don't get damage from weather in the Toronto area.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
This summer in Tasmania has been very ordinary, it can get very warm here as we have found out but not the extremes like the rest of Australia. Having said that Tasmania is prone to bush fires the area i live in was destroyed during the 60's, in the 80's there was a huge fire, Hobart was surrounded by it. Winters are very cold lot of heavy frosts in the South and always snow on Mt. Wellington and other ranges.
So the bush fire risk is just as high in Tasmania?

Some things I like about Hobart is it gets more sunshine than Melbourne (impressive, considering Hobart's latitude) and the latest summer sunsets in Australia.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,227,569 times
These bushfires were apparently started by someone using an angle-grinder, against the rules, in dry, tinderbox conditions made worse by too much forest floor fuel being present. Not enough burn-offs because people want to live the whole bush experience without respecting nature and its devastating power. Australia has been burning for millenia. Also some councils put in stupid, dangerous rules restricting clearing.

Just like the Victoria bushfires - started by arsonists, made much worse by the same sort of people in denial, refusing to get rid of dangerous underbrush. It's "Green" apparently to leave that sh** there.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:02 PM

14,780 posts, read 15,874,136 times
^

People who start fires.... seriously something wrong.

You'd have hoped the rest of the country would have learnt the lessons of Victoria.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,227,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
^

People who start fires.... seriously something wrong.

You'd have hoped the rest of the country would have learnt the lessons of Victoria.
I know, I just don't understand arsonists, especially in this country. I think 95% of bushfires are reported as started by arsonists. What sort of sicko wakes up one morning and decides to wreak such devastation and heartache on hundreds, thousands of people and animals?

No, doesn't seem we learn lessons from the past. Much easier to proclaim it's all caused by Climate Change and insist taxes will fix it all, including cyclones, droughts and floods.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 AM

1,800 posts, read 2,738,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So the bush fire risk is just as high in Tasmania?

Some things I like about Hobart is it gets more sunshine than Melbourne (impressive, considering Hobart's latitude) and the latest summer sunsets in Australia.
True, we do get more sunshine than Melbourne especially throughout the winter. Bushfires do happen quite frequently in Tasmania but they are usually in forest areas. The east coast experienced some very severe bushfires 2 yrs ago a lot of property was destroyed.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
These bushfires were apparently started by someone using an angle-grinder, against the rules, in dry, tinderbox conditions made worse by too much forest floor fuel being present. Not enough burn-offs because people want to live the whole bush experience without respecting nature and its devastating power. Australia has been burning for millenia. Also some councils put in stupid, dangerous rules restricting clearing.

Just like the Victoria bushfires - started by arsonists, made much worse by the same sort of people in denial, refusing to get rid of dangerous underbrush. It's "Green" apparently to leave that sh** there.
Do you know the location of this fire? I'd like to look it up.

I've seen pictures of professionals trained for "prescribed-burns" in the USA, where they'd have a small torch and only make flames about ankle-to-knee-high, to burn out excess fuel. Perhaps bush-communities in fire-risk areas should include that into their plans. If you can time the burn so many days after "x" amount of rain, have a well-thought out burn-plan and proper equipment, the risk to homeowners should be near-zero. (aside from a bit of smoke)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand