U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:57 PM

205 posts, read 463,050 times

Advertisements

My brother is in Christchurch and I'm putting together a care package for him. I'd like to include some items that would be hard-to-find and/or super expensive if he did find them. I'd love to hear some of your ideas.

So far I've got several varieties of hot sauce (mostly Mexican, but also including Sriracha which is a fave of mine), bbq sauce, some cajun spices, Old Bay, Jiffy cornbread mix, Ramen noodles and some practical stuff like toothpaste and cleaning items. I guess I'd like to know if any of these things are sort of ho-hum and perhaps I should send something else instead. I know toothpaste isn't exactly exciting, but it's something he won't have to buy for a little while, and it *is* a care package after all! Are Asian foods easily obtained there or should I include a little bit of that as well?

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 PM

8,359 posts, read 3,212,654 times
There are restrictions on some foods entering New Zealand - things like spices, seeds, meat etc are disallowed because of the risk of bugs/diseases entering the country which it is currently free from. This site should give you more information:

FAQs related to What you must declare | MAF Biosecurity New Zealand

All mailed packages will be x-rayed, and forbidden stuff will be seized or treated (at the expense of the recipient). I'm thinking the sauces will be okay, but maybe not the Cajun spices. You really need to check if you don't want to risk your package being raided!

I haven't been to Christchurch in ages, but Asian foodstuffs are readily available in Auckland, so I imagine it would be much the same in ChCh.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been using this link as a guide:

Letting you know about Prohibited items

I'd still like to know if the items I listed are unique there or not. And if Asian sauces are easily obtained.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:15 PM

That NZ Post site you've been using relates to export prohibitions not import prohibitions.

Hopefully a Kiwi will be along soon to advise specifically on the uniqueness of the products you are gathering together but, from my experience of NZ, the only items they might find hard or hard-ish to source would be the Mexican sauces, the Sriracha (I don't know if that's a brand name or a type of sauce), and maybe the cornbread mix and Cajun sices. Old Bay is a brand I think ... not sure if that brand would be available, but other brands of the same products probably are. Ramen-type Noodles and BBQ sauce are everywhere... as is toothpaste!

Not sure whether you'd be allowed to mail the cleaning products - not so much because of Customs limitations, but perhaps because of safety issues during transportation.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
That NZ Post site you've been using relates to export prohibitions not import prohibitions.

Hopefully a Kiwi will be along soon to advise specifically on the uniqueness of the products you are gathering together but, from my experience of NZ, the only items they might find hard or hard-ish to source would be the Mexican sauces, the Sriracha (I don't know if that's a brand name or a type of sauce), and maybe the cornbread mix and Cajun sices. Old Bay is a brand I think ... not sure if that brand would be available, but other brands of the same products probably are. Ramen-type Noodles and BBQ sauce are everywhere... as is toothpaste!

Not sure whether you'd be allowed to mail the cleaning products - not so much because of Customs limitations, but perhaps because of safety issues during transportation.
Geez, this is complicated. I appreciate your help. I may just pack everything really well, ship it and hold my breath. Maybe that will work.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:33 PM

Sorry - but it's not just about how well you pack it! For eg, some items are prohibited because they can explode if left on the airport tarmac in hot sun for long periods or if there's a fire in the building they're being held in, etc.

Also, doesn't matter how well you pack it, your package will be x-rayed and if the folk at Customs think there might be some prohibited items inside, they will open it and seize them.

I don't think you'll have a problem with your bottled sauces or your toothpaste. I'd leave the cleaning products out, the spices and anything else that appears on the list I linked earlier. And it doesn't really matter if your brother can easily buy the items in ChCh - the point is you care enough to send them, and it will save him time and money having to buy them for himself.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,745,923 times
Personally Id send him a plastic hard hat,pick axe and some super glue with a message to harden up a little

Well unless he is effected by knowing someone that passed, prob a little early for a joke.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Sorry - but it's not just about how well you pack it! For eg, some items are prohibited because they can explode if left on the airport tarmac in hot sun for long periods or if there's a fire in the building they're being held in, etc.
Yeah, dude. Got that. I was kidding.

But it's difficult to impossible to find information on what I'm allowed to ship into NZ. The link you posted above was not particularly helpful as the actual link needed to let me know what foods can be imported is a dead link: http://www.nzfsa.govt.nz/imported-food/travellers/index.htm (broken link)

So, seriously, I'm in the position of having to simply take a risk and pay for shipping without knowing whether my items are actually allowed.

Let me just say that I'm not a novice to online searching. I've been researching this for a couple of weeks, and I'm getting a whole lot of NO INFO and dead links.

I'm not shipping anything loose or unpackaged -- all of my items are in original packaging, no plants or seeds or spices that aren't in original, sealed packages. Since cleaning products aren't allowed out, I'm going to just ASSUME that they're not allowed in, either. Because I haven't been able to find out otherwise in my research.

I'm pretty frustrated. I understand the reasons behind these types of rules, but for god's sake, if you're going to be picky, you need to post the frigging rules where people can find them!

Last edited by CrawfishGumbo; 03-07-2011 at 07:04 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM

32,524 posts, read 34,317,947 times
I've been mailing care packages to NZ and OZ for over 30 years. As long as everything (that's legal and OK'd by the postal service) is in it's original packaging and sealed I've never had a problem. Same with from there to the U.S. (Though why everything arrives in the U.S. smelling like pumpkins I've never quite figured out.)

Old 03-10-2011, 06:40 AM

9,594 posts, read 26,016,011 times
WATERMELON LICORICE!
There's a flavour I love from Twizzlers "Pull-and-Peel."

I can't get it in Canada and I hear watermelon flavoured candy is hard to find in Australia, perhaps NZ too.

If your friend is a regular tea-drinker,
black teas sold in Australia taste completely different than our orange pekoe teas.
American tea tastes different than Canadian, but Australian tea is nothing like American or Canadian tea.
I wonder what tea is like in NZ...

How about tea bags made for brewing ice-tea?
Luzianne is pretty nice and we can't get that in Canada either; more doubtful NZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand