U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,280 times

Advertisements

Hello pals,

I'm thinking on going abroad New Zealand, but there are many things I don't understand, even if I have red many websites about this matter but anyway... Will figure it out with the time...

I have been looking that renting a home is quite cheap there, something like from S$25/week and pretty nice homes indeed. I just cannot believe that houses are so cheap and so beautiful at the same time, so if someone can give some advice about why is that perfect, I would be very grateful.

I personally don't need swimming pools or fancy stuff, just hot water for winter and those devices that produces heat in winter, you know, electricity, gas or something to cook and of course, Internet. I don't care living in the middle of mountains (which would be really, really nice) as far as I can have a fast internet connection, let say, 5 Mb downstream; 1 Mb upstream.

I'm working through the Internet (freelancer retoucher) so Internet is a must have, and I'm also a well equipped photographer, so of course, will take lots of land/waterscapes shots, which is my main goal in New Zealand (plus doing lot of weddings and more artistic stuff... I'm very diverse). So I would also need a car (I guess), a cheap one that allows me to move faster than by using my legs, probably those 4x4 motorbikes or just a mountain bike, which would be more practical (I'm more a practical person = austere, no parties, no clothes, no restaurants, vegetarian and with a lot of passion for photography, so anyone would be able to draw a better picture of what I need and the costs).

The ideal thing is more a kind of motorhome with a parabolic antenna for Internet. I don't know if that works good the due the clouds (I have seen it's mostly a mix between clouds and sun, which I do love) but in my country isn't good because of the clouds and Internet is MY BLOOD due my kind of work.

I still need to figure out how much Kw/h I use, cm3 of water and julius of gas but if anyone knows how much costs these items is enough to deduct which would been my expenses in New Zealand.

Also what about taxes, because I have red that there are no real state taxes but some homes for rent involves taxes

Oh, and what about Tsunamis around there, earthquakes and such. The last time died 68 persons but for 4 million of total persons is more plausible been killed by a lighting bolt or changing a bulb, I guess.

Well... I just want to be there, take pics, hang out with cool people in a healthy way and bother no one, just want to be free and happy, like I'm already are, but in New Zealand! I think is not difficult so well... some real facts would be nice to get a more objective approach.

Thanks in advance for any tip and suggestion!

Salutations from Argentina!

Martin
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,167,746 times
Surely that must be a misprint, $25 a week!?! for house rental?

More like $500 a week in a lot of places. New Zealand is now one of the most expensive places in the world for real estate compared to local incomes. High home prices would be great if it actually bought you something, but many kiwi houses are ramshackle cold concrete block homes with mildew problems.

Have you been to New Zealand yet? I would visit before moving there.

Income taxes are high, with few opportunities to reduce your taxable income.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,894,457 times
AAaaahhhh......... New Zealand..

Something that would certainly get a lot of people moving there is the fact that you can "order a prostitute" the same as ordering a pizza. Just pick up the phone and call.

Oh, and if you like a slice of beet on your hamburger, that's the place to go. They don't use onion there.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Hello pals!

Well, I have found this one, for example:

1 bedroom unit, nightstore heating, separate kitchen/living. Rent $100.00 Bond $300.00 Letting Fee $115.00 Total $515.00

East Gore - Realestate.co.nz

The house in the picture looks much better than my apartment, which costs something around $100 a week for renting, but mine is made of bricks (it seems that the one in the pic isn't).

$100 a week is the max I can pay for a rent so far but I don't understand what are the other numbers. If they're also per week, then it will make sense paying $500/w.

For example, I have to pay:

Electricity.
Gas.
Water.
Internet.
Phone.
Cell-Phone (by using those disposable cards).
Rent.
Home Expenses.
2 types of taxes (which would be like real state): a) municipal. b) provincial.

I would go for a visit, but I know I would love to settle there, in fact, it would be really frustrating having to come back to my country after having been in the heaven.

Sorry for my english, I don't know if "having been" is grammatically right.

So, what about the prices of Kw/h, water and julius?

Thank you very much for the politeness and the information

Mart

Old 03-30-2011, 03:52 PM

9,410 posts, read 12,926,233 times
There's a little thing called a VISA which is always your first issue. You don't have a skill NZ is particularly interested in so how do you think you're going to get a Visa?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:46 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,770,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
AAaaahhhh......... New Zealand..

Something that would certainly get a lot of people moving there is the fact that you can "order a prostitute" the same as ordering a pizza. Just pick up the phone and call.

Oh, and if you like a slice of beet on your hamburger, that's the place to go. They don't use onion there.
Does anybody ever order a prostitute with extra cheese?

Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
There's a little thing called a VISA which is always your first issue. You don't have a skill NZ is particularly interested in so how do you think you're going to get a Visa?
As far as I've red in the New Zealand Government Website, there is a convention between Argentina and New Zealand that allows argentineans going to New Zealand without VISA, just the passport, and stay there for a year with possibilities to extend the stay 2 years more or so, also working, which would allow the permanent residency after a total of 3 years, specially for young people. For the other hand, New Zealand gives a fixed amount of VISAS each year as well.

Thanks for the info!

Mart

Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,722,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum3 View Post
As far as I've red in the New Zealand Government Website, there is a convention between Argentina and New Zealand that allows argentineans going to New Zealand without VISA, just the passport, and stay there for a year with possibilities to extend the stay 2 years more or so, also working, which would allow the permanent residency after a total of 3 years, specially for young people. For the other hand, New Zealand gives a fixed amount of VISAS each year as well.

Thanks for the info!

Mart
Argentina Working Holiday Scheme

Do you mean the working holiday scheme? For a year, limited spots and you do need a specific Visa. Also work can't be the primary reason for the trip. There is no indication of a path to residency.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Argentina Working Holiday Scheme

Do you mean the working holiday scheme? For a year, limited spots and you do need a specific Visa. Also work can't be the primary reason for the trip. There is no indication of a path to residency.
Oh, great Info, Anthony! Really useful! Haven't red that part (I think I'm too optimist for reading the bad things, haha). Well... it seems I'm only able to do a short visit there... So sad... Just wanted to take beautiful pictures...

Here is one of my favorites. Took it at 400 Km away from where I live

Old 03-31-2011, 12:40 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,167,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum3 View Post
Hello pals!

Well, I have found this one, for example:

1 bedroom unit, nightstore heating, separate kitchen/living. Rent $100.00 Bond $300.00 Letting Fee $115.00 Total $515.00

East Gore - Realestate.co.nz

The house in the picture looks much better than my apartment, which costs something around $100 a week for renting, but mine is made of bricks (it seems that the one in the pic isn't).

$100 a week is the max I can pay for a rent so far but I don't understand what are the other numbers. If they're also per week, then it will make sense paying $500/w.
You wont find anything in New Zealand for $100 a week, unless you rent a bedroom in a large house with other tenants and even then that's a bit more difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand